My Landlord Stop Me from Leaving the Country

5 hours ago, Sparky Barry said:

When I moved in, I started seeing damages that were not listed

And I am sure you recorded these details and informed your landlord. Or not?

I also live in an apartment which is not exactly new anymore. When I moved in I recorded the existing damages and I made sure that my landlord signed the contract without the clause that I might have to pay more than the deposit.

Worst case I won't get the deposit back.

Be aware what you sign! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

It seems that 'legally' he can only ask for 1 month bond.

This came up when I rented a property to a company and stipulated 2 months bond money.

Evidently their lawyer said the law was changed from 2 to 1 month.

Not sure it is correct as I didn't investigate.

If the landlord owns less than 5 properties he can charge whatever he wants - it’s up to you if you want to walk away or accept. 

5 hours ago, Peabody said:

I had a civil case that I filed (I was the complainant). I was not allowed to leave the country until it was adjudicated. Cost me 20K baht overstay fine waiting for a letter from the court saying the case was closed.

I was rejected from leaving (to return on a fresh visa) both at a land border and at Suvarnabhumi.

Its only applicable if a case is filed with the court and the court orders it. You could have gotten an extentision based on the court case preventing you from leaving 

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Causing damage is a criminal matter.

If he has trashed the place that's criminal but I think we are taking about minor scuffs around the place and things not working covered in the deposit here. It is still needs proof on behalf of the landlord. I m a landlord and had a tenant leave 7 months early to return to Russia, they broke my backdoor locks, burnt the worktop and hob and left the place stinking but that's not going to get the police out of bed. As a landlord you have to get on with it. They went to the airport and informed agent they were leaving, and we kept the deposit that covered the damage just but doesn't cover the fact you paid an agent for 12 months let. But what can you do just get on with it. The cost of a court case won't be worth it unless they have trashed the place.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, BangkokAlan said:

If he has trashed the place that's criminal but I think we are taking about minor scuffs around the place and things not working covered in the deposit here. It is still needs proof on behalf of the landlord. I m a landlord and had a tenant leave 7 months early to return to Russia, they broke my backdoor locks, burnt the worktop and hob and left the place stinking but that's not going to get the police out of bed. As a landlord you have to get on with it. They went to the airport and informed agent they were leaving, and we kept the deposit that covered the damage just but doesn't cover the fact you paid an agent for 12 months let. But what can you do just get on with it. The cost of a court case won't be worth it unless they have trashed the place.

How do you burn a kitchen worktop? Aren't they supposed to be heat resistant?

18 hours ago, Sparky Barry said:

I broke my contract and left my condo one month early without notification. I've forfeited my 2 months security deposit obviously. When I moved in, I started seeing damages that were not listed, I felt scammed, my landlord is not trustworthy. I knew he'd try to scam me out of these unlisted damages. Now he is saying that the 2 months deposit does not cover the damages and I need to give him more money. Is this going to affect my immigration status if he pursues this further? Will I be able to leave the country in the future? 

If you have left already break all communication, switch off your phones location and I would imagine you'll be okay, especially if you move away from the area.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems like based on your post you might want to take responsibility for your own rush and non action from the beginning.  In your own words you had a bad feeling but moved forward. 

By the % I serious doubt he will report just like you leaving without notice as soon as you read this do the same out of country. 

18 hours ago, carlyai said:

It seems that 'legally' he can only ask for 1 month bond.

This came up when I rented a property to a company and stipulated 2 months bond money.

Evidently their lawyer said the law was changed from 2 to 1 month.

Not sure it is correct as I didn't investigate.

This is only true if the landlord has 5 or more properties

It all comes back to the lease agreement you both entered and agreed upon, if any.

That's legally binding.

By the "sound of it", you are in breach of contract. 

If so, your landlord might take further steps. I would consider to consult a lawyer instead of crying out in this ThaiVisa forum.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Sparky Barry said:

I broke my contract and left my condo one month early without notification. I've forfeited my 2 months security deposit obviously. When I moved in, I started seeing damages that were not listed, I felt scammed, my landlord is not trustworthy. I knew he'd try to scam me out of these unlisted damages. Now he is saying that the 2 months deposit does not cover the damages and I need to give him more money. Is this going to affect my immigration status if he pursues this further? Will I be able to leave the country in the future? 

Not much of a bright spark.  

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Photo and video while doing business.  Cant trust anyone these days. 

Absolutely.  Document everything and have the landlord sign the documents before signing any rental contract.  If he won't, move on.  You are in the driver's seat before a contract is signed.  After you sign, you lose all your power.   Get everything you want in the contract while you are still in the driver's seat.

• Like 1

He was gonna take 2 months security deposit anyway. When I moved in I saw all sorts of other damages. I got bad vibes from the guy straight away. Was cutting my losses.

Hey sparky you cut. Your losses BEFORE you sign. 

Come on all you renters. .. this is in u 

He was gonna take 2 months security deposit anyway. When I moved in I saw all sorts of other damages. I got bad vibes from the guy straight away. Was cutting my losses.

Did you take photos of all wals, ceilings, floors, doors, furniture etc., with date stamped photos, before you moved in? 

This all sounds like you were aware of the damage before you moved in/as you were moving in?

So when did you mention the damage to the landlord? Did you give the landlord photos of the damage very promptly? Do you have copies?

Did you take photos of all walls, ceilings, floors, doors, furniture etc., with date stamped photos, before you moved in? This action is becoming common.

15 Years ago I owned a luxury house on Jomtien beach, It was rented. I went quickly to Pattaya and with the agent we took dozens of photos and copies presented to the then proppective tenant.

The photos saved the day, the tenant (farang husband and Thai wife and 3 teenage kids) quickly did a lot of damage to the outside and inside of the house and the pool, all discovered when the agent did an inspection at 90 days as mentioned in the rental agreement and agent discovered a lot of damage.

I immediately cancelled their rental agreement and demanded more money (on top of the deposit they had paid). I called the police. A Snr. policeman came, I handed sets of photo 'before' and 'after' to the Snr. cop.

Cop held the passport of the farang and the ID cards of wife and kids and told the farang to bring 100,000Baht to him within 48 hours and to report to him at 24 hours. And told the farang he would return the farangs passport and the Thai ID cards when the damage had been repaired to my satisfaction.

Cop didn't mention immigration.

Farang did bring the 100,000Baht, and the repairs were completed within 7 days. 

I don't know whether the action of the Snr. cop was legal or not, but the photos were the 'fact' which ensured results.

Cop never asked for any kickback. 

Agent used their 'grapevine' to warn other agents about the tenants. Agent discovered that after damaged satisfactorily repaired and passport / id cards returned the tenants returned to England.

Edited by scorecard

19 hours ago, BangkokAlan said:

It is a civil case your word against his. It is not a criminal matter so how can he stop you leaving the country and immigration only worry about immigration policy not landlord disputes. Just move on with your life to a better condo. Go through a proper agent so they have all the photos and take your own. 

I think that this may be the best advice here. It's not worth the expense and time to sue you over a small amount. 

This is a straight forward question with a simple answer.

Your landlord is trying it on. Forfeit your deposit, move on, and forget about the matter. Put it down to experience.

You can freely leave and re-eneter Thailand anytime so long as you meet your visa conditions.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Sparky Barry said:

What is it with you people that sign a contract and then feel abused... when are you going to quit hiding behind momma's apron and grow up... ever thought maybe it would be best to address the issues as they arrive... that's what mature people do.  I have rental property and am currently facing tenants who have decided to walk away from a 2 year lease and they are crying about me not being wiling to return their 2 month rent deposit... it cost me that much in commission to the rental agent and they are walking away without paying the electric bill or the water bill for the last month... 9000 baht in the hole right there for me and still have to clean and remake the house for my next venture.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

What is it with you people that sign a contract and then feel abused... when are you going to quit hiding behind momma's apron and grow up... ever thought maybe it would be best to address the issues as they arrive... that's what mature people do.  I have rental property and am currently facing tenants who have decided to walk away from a 2 year lease and they are crying about me not being wiling to return their 2 month rent deposit... it cost me that much in commission to the rental agent and they are walking away without paying the electric bill or the water bill for the last month... 9000 baht in the hole right there for me and still have to clean and remake the house for my next venture.

not sure about thai law 100% but yes you should and must keep the deposit.. thats what its for.. damages arising from actual damages but also from breach of contract etc. and fully agree with the mum's apron remark

Edited by Zapitapi
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, JimTripper said:

My lease says the security deposit can be held for damages. There’s nothing in the lease about further payments!  

People can ask for anything, has nothing to do with the lease.

You mean like if your security deposit is X amount, and the damages you caused are 3 times that amount, you will not be held responsible.

Wake up mate

Edited by BenStark
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

22 hours ago, Sparky Barry said:

Stop YOU Leaving The Country ?? Only If Your Landlord is " Big Joke " He Can !!....555 !!

22 hours ago, Sparky Barry said:

When I moved in, I started seeing damages that were not listed, I felt scammed, my landlord is not trustworthy

So you saw the damages when you moved in, but didn't report them?

I know who is the untrustworthy one here

• Love It 1