Increasing the 800K baht requirement for retirement extension?

I doubt this requirement is geared towards criminals - more likely at people not having enough to live here and afford medical bills if something were to happen. 

There are people who come here due to economic reasons and who seem to be able circumvent this and as we all get a bit older, it is likely that we might have medical expenses. It is unfair to private and public hospitals if people cannot afford to pay their bills... 

Edited by BritTim
Removed a quote from a removed post

Just now, MJCM said:

One of the issues IMHO with leaving 1,6 million in a Thai Bank is that the balance is only covered up to 1 million and thus in case the bank goes bankrupt you lose 600.000 THB 

It doesn't need to be there all year but right now you can get about 5% on US T bills and then your money is locked in. Not only is there a risk of loss from bank failures but an opportunity cost to make a profit. Total crap deal.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, MJCM said:

Even a law firm posted a video about it

They've just posted a new video on it... But basically saying the same thing... 

1. Nothing has change yet & it will take time before anything does.

2. Big Joke is no joke when it comes to Immigration changes so keep an eye out for updates in the news. 

3. Good possibility of Grandfathering but don't solely base your plans on them doing so...

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

It doesn't need to be there all year but right now you can get about 5% on US T bills and then your money is locked in. Not only is there a risk of loss from bank failures but an opportunity cost to make a profit. Total crap deal.

AFAIK the balance can’t drop below (at the moment) below 400K the whole year.

correct @DrJack54 and @BritTim ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Just talk to appease the locals

Expat outlaw gang members account for what >>>maybe .001% of those on retirement extensions??

I know a few guys in Chiang Rai in a MC gang, really a club.

All nice guys who do a lot for charity. OPPY (old people, playing young.).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Question: Would the people currently grandfathered in to the present system also be grandfathered into any new one. If so, how do they justify grandfathering one group and not another? 

Proposed alternative: why not raise the age of the retirement extensions to match the age of retirement in Thailand? 

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Question: Would the people currently grandfathered in to the present system also be grandfathered into any new one. If so, how do they justify grandfathering one group and not another? 

Proposed alternative: why not raise the age of the retirement extensions to match the age of retirement in Thailand? 

I think it was lowered to fifty to lure* US federal and Military retirees who can retire at 50 on gold plated pensions.

I think it was 60, then 55, then 50?

*the correct word.

Edited by mokwit

3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I doubt this requirement is geared towards criminals - more likely at people not having enough to live here and afford medical bills if something were to happen. 

There are people who come here due to economic reasons and who seem to be able circumvent this and as we all get a bit older, it is likely that we might have medical expenses. It is unfair to private and public hospitals if people cannot afford to pay their bills... 

on that subject i hope you have enough money to cover all those medical excluded pre-existing conditions

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I think it was lowered to fifty to lure* US federal and Military retirees who can retire at 50 on gold plated pensions.

I think it was 60, then 55, then 50?

*the correct word.

I didn't realize that. Still, at this stage, if you want to bring things under control, perhaps it's time to harmonize "retirement" with "Thai retirement."

27 minutes ago, John Drake said:

And would existing Non-IMM O/OA holders who are under 60 be Grandfathered in or kicked out?

Probably the best approach would be to leave existing Non-IMM O/OA as they are and create a new visa type that matches what they want to see in Retirees, then let the old Non-IMM O/OA fade away naturally.

You never know, If they made the new Visa attractive enough (e.g. 1.5Million on deposit gets you a 5 year multi-entry visa) then some existing O/OA holders may switch. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

And would existing Non-IMM O/OA holders who are under 60 be Grandfathered in or kicked out?

Probably the best approach would be to leave existing Non-IMM O/OA as they are and create a new visa type that matches what they want to see in Retirees, then let the old Non-IMM O/OA fade away naturally.

You never know, If they made the new Visa attractive enough (e.g. 1.5Million on deposit gets you a 5 year multi-entry visa) then some existing O/OA holders may switch. 

Sure. From the beginning, I've been commenting in the political topics that all I want the new government to do is leave things alone for immigration. And so yes allow for grandfathering everybody currently on retirement visas to keep the existing system. Change it for new applications. But I did note that in the interview Big Joke made a point of saying that it was "extensions" that were too low. That would indicate raising deposits for everyone.

• Love It 1

10 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Sure. From the beginning, I've been commenting in the political topics that all I want the new government to do is leave things alone for immigration. And so yes allow for grandfathering everybody currently on retirement visas to keep the existing system. Change it for new applications. But I did note that in the interview Big Joke made a point of saying that it was "extensions" that were too low. That would indicate raising deposits for everyone.

What about inflation? medical costs are rising quite rapidly here.. they deserve to raise the rates for everyone based on annual inflation rates

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Seems a change could be they may ask for a criminal history from everyone.

WIth what appears to be an increase in criminal activity, I bet they would like to try and identify gang members and those with criminal records.

That would make more sense toward achieving their stated goal (keeping out criminals) vs. their stupid notion that increasing the financial requirement on retirement extensions will somehow weed out criminals (which it won't).

4 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

As an unsecured, uninsured, and withering to inflation asset, it doesn't sound too tempting. Its already a sore point to have even 800,000 baht in an account here rotting away.

As previously noted by another poster, the current Thai government bank accounts deposit protection law only covers amounts up to 1 million baht per accountholder per bank. Anything beyond that is uninsured by the government.

So if they actually raise the current 800K amount too much, they're in effect going to be requiring farangs who want to get those retirement extensions to deposit at least a portion of their funds into unprotected/uninsured Thai bank accounts.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Except for the fact, that police big shot Big Joke specifically proposed increasing the requirements for retirement extensions directly as part of their efforts to weed out foreign criminals and motorcycle gang members. Maybe you missed that part?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Except for the fact, that police big shot Big Joke specifically proposed increasing the requirements for retirement extensions directly as part of their efforts to weed out foreign criminals and motorcycle gang members. Maybe you missed that part?

yes, I missed that part - I was just responding to another poster.. but I believe it goes beyond those reasons - and I have been witnessing older retirees here not having enough money to survive here, add in medical bills and they are desperate - - though they may still be better off individually as they might be homeless on repatriating, it is still unfair to the hospital that they have not been able to pay... 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As previously noted by another poster, the current Thai government bank accounts deposit protection law only covers amounts up to 1 million baht per accountholder per bank. Anything beyond that is uninsured by the government.

So if they actually raise the current 800K amount too much, they're in effect going to be requiring farangs who want to get those retirement extensions to deposit at least a portion of their funds into unprotected/uninsured Thai bank accounts.

Original non-OA visa holders who are unable to obtain mandatory health insurance cover are already required to deposit 3m THB into Thai bank accounts for retirement extension purposes - at least 2m of which is unprotected/uninsured - as a result of sub-para 6.3 of Police Order 654/2564:

image.png.2b0d77c94eb3274df526ebda4c7e5595.png

Edited by OJAS