Increasing the 800K baht requirement for retirement extension?

2 minutes ago, blackcab said:

A bit off-topic, it's the same in the UK. You can online authorise people to view your certificates online, however that isn't going to be any use in Thailand. Immigration here are going to want a paper certificate.

No way immigration are going to deal with every criminal record system from every country, online logins, etc.

They will place the onus on the applicant to provide the correct paper documentation to them.

I printed the police clearance from the email so same as a posted copy. Not sure what you are talking about?

Gday 

It is to be considered that a law must not be passed by parliament for changes can be implemented by regulations only.

I don't think agents will disappear for higher interests are involved than that of a single police deputy chief. 

Also people here consider only money issues when talking about deposits. I think 

even higher amounts than the 1.6 mill THB 

Might be implemented. In this respect real estate property could be in the future considered 

Wbr 

Roobaa01

26 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

A policy or provision (usually contained in statute) under which an old rule continues to apply to some existing situations while a new rule will apply to future cases.

Doesn't seem to apply much in Thailand.

When the changed to insurance requirements for extensions from  a non O-A the only immigration office that provided grandfathering regarding changes to insurance was Phuket.

If there are ever changes to any aspect of (for example financials) then I would not for one blink think grandfathering comes into play.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Doesn't seem to apply much in Thailand.

When the changed to insurance requirements for extensions from  a non O-A the only immigration office that provided grandfathering regarding changes to insurance was Phuket.

If there are ever changes to any aspect of (for example financials) then I would not for one blink think grandfathering comes into play.

I seem to remember reading on ThaiVisa that some people were "grandfathered in" when the financial requirements increased around 1998.

Can't find any ThaiVisa topics, but found this ...

https://legal.co.th/resources/visa-immigration-law/thailand-immigration-law/retirement-visas-thailand-retirees-grandfathered-status/

I think it only applied to aliens with continuous extensions for a number of years.

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I think it only applied to aliens with continuous extensions for a number of years.

Correct. 

Dont know how many years back.

Maybe @BritTim has an idea.

Back to this OP....if for eg the financials are changed I think it will applied to those perhaps other than the group you mention.

Personally find this thread jumping at shadows. 

• Haha 2

Unfortunately they've failed to make gradual increases to the amounts they require, in line with inflation. So I'd suspect that whenever the next increase will happen, it will be substantial.

Of course checking criminal records of first-time applicants would make a lot more sense to weed out criminals than increasing the amounts. Also, unless they get rid of agents, the required amounts are quite meaningless anyway.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here is an extract from the latest police order posted on AN.

See full PO here: 

https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=804079

Point 6 covers the "grandfathering rules" for extensions based on retirement.  

2.22 In the case of retirement:
Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.
The alien:
(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.
(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or
(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date: or
(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.
Translated by Siam Translation for thaivisa.com. The translation of this document is for information purposes only.
(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:
(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with fluids maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 20,000
(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I seem to remember reading on ThaiVisa that some people were "grandfathered in" when the financial requirements increased around 1998.

Can't find any ThaiVisa topics, but found this ...

https://legal.co.th/resources/visa-immigration-law/thailand-immigration-law/retirement-visas-thailand-retirees-grandfathered-status/

Pretty sure it was “Aliens” who had been on unbroken Non-IMM O/OA visas for 4 years that were Grandfathered. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Correct. 

Dont know how many years back.

Maybe @BritTim has an idea.

Back to this OP....if for eg the financials are changed I think it will applied to those perhaps other than the group you mention.

Personally find this thread jumping at shadows. 

It was in the last century when financial requirements were last increased. In fact there were two changes within a couple of years. The first increased the amount that must be deposited from 200,000 baht to 500,000 baht. The second increased further to 800,000 baht. In both cases, those already on a permission to stay based on the old rules were allowed to continue without having to increase the amount on deposit. I think there are few people still here under the old rules.

14 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It was in the last century when financial requirements were last increased. In fact there were two changes within a couple of years. The first increased the amount that must be deposited from 200,000 baht to 500,000 baht. The second increased further to 800,000 baht. In both cases, those already on a permission to stay based on the old rules were allowed to continue without having to increase the amount on deposit. I think there are few people still here under the old rules.

I'm on retirement extensions for 15 year, and remember 500k, not sure if i ever was on 200K, but I am on 800K now

5 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.
Translated by Siam Translation for thaivisa.com. The translation of this document is for information purposes only.

Fluids are mentioned more than once in this translation. Does grandfathering involve a sperm bank? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Would be nice to hear from some of the elders who are still grandfathered from the last time of increases. They must be at least in their 80's now.

4 hours ago, jaideedave said:

AFAIK the USA,Canada,UK,Ireland France and other countries in Europe are allowing mass gimmigration these days.I don't think many are being vetted at all.

My current understanding is that expats can legally retire in France for under the Thailand financial requirement levels.

Of course you'd need a lot of money to live well in Paris but there are many provincial areas that are quite affordable and I think retired expats can get on their health system, even non EU people.

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

My current understanding is that expats can legally retire in France for under the Thailand financial requirement levels.

Of course you'd need a lot of money to live well in Paris but there are many provincial areas that are quite affordable and I think retired expats can get on their health system, even non EU people.

Maybe so, I was referring to the kind that arrive in rubber boats with their hands out. Quite unlike us old gits who pay our way.

14 hours ago, BenStark said:

I'm on retirement extensions for 15 year, and remember 500k, not sure if i ever was on 200K, but I am on 800K now

It was 250,000, then went up to 400,000 for marriage......:stoner:

Edited by transam

Gday 

There is not much thoughts given to the combination method for example if the required amount is moved up to THB 1.2 million. In such a case I take my pension 12 X 1400 euros= euro 16800 x38 THB =638000 plus bank deposit THB 562000 then I'm done.

Wbr

Roobaa01

20 hours ago, transam said:

It was 250,000, then went up to 400,000 for marriage......:stoner:

afaik it was 200,000 or 250,000 for retirement until 96/97
than went to 800,000, been on that one since 2001

But back than it only had to be in the bank the day you applied> 
till 2018 i think US could use the letter stating we had pension of 65,000 baht/month 
than the US stopped doing the letters

Edited by zzzzz

On 8/6/2023 at 6:05 PM, Caldera said:

Of course checking criminal records of first-time applicants would make a lot more sense to weed out criminals than increasing the amounts.

Already done in the case of those whose original visas are of the non-OA and non-OX varieties. But the requirement for criminal records checks would need to be extended to those seeking non-O visas for retirement - which might, of course, require some thinking on Pol Gen Surachate's part outside the "retirement extension" box!

10 minutes ago, OJAS said:

criminal records checks would need to be extended to those seeking non-O visas for retirement

Why stop there, we have just had an Elite Visa* murder it seems, also VE/VoA/TR. Hard copy on boarding and at Imm on entry. Has to come from your HOME country for OX visa, so let's implement it like that. Criminals don't need a full year to start committing crimes, some get busy within 15 days and then overstay.

Let's not stop at criminal records, obviously need to check people don't have communicable diseases:

- Leprosy
- Tuberculosis
- Elephantiasis
- drug addiction
and third stage of Syphilis.

Anything else the people who "thought" up the new long stay visa classes can come up with.

*seems criminal checks don't keep out the kind of people who murder and dismember, so how much use is it?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Already done in the case of those whose original visas are of the non-OA and non-OX varieties. But the requirement for criminal records checks would need to be extended to those seeking non-O visas for retirement - which might, of course, require some thinking on Pol Gen Surachate's part outside the "retirement extension" box!

I agree. I think each first-time longterm extension applicant should be made to undergo a criminal record check, no matter what visa rhey enter with and what the purpose of the extension is.

In return, they could make subsequent extensions easier and/or less frequent, it's just a nonsensical paper shuffling exercise in many cases.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I agree. I think each first-time longterm extension applicant should be made to undergo a criminal record check, no matter what visa rhey enter with and what the purpose of the extension is.

Also, we should all be checked for syphilis. Don't want foreigners bringing diseases here. Everyone, Elite Visa, also VE/VoA/TR. It is after all a requirement for "foreign experts" who come to work here.

Edited by mokwit
  • Haha 2