Latest date for ex-PM Thaksin’s return is August 22

webfact

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

There was a time when I thought he would be good for this country and welcomed his return, now I wish he would just disappear for good.

Good that you changed your mind. It seems now many people realize that Thaksin coming back means a lot of headache.

Personally, I think that was obvious since at least 10 years. And many people in this forum criticized me for that standpoint. 

What convinced you to change your mind?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will fly back to Thailand on August 22nd, the same day that parliament will meet to select a new prime minister

The latest date.. I wonder why that one?

Why didn't he just fly back home with her after her latest visit?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You must have missed the picture in the news. He had a medical checkup at the eye doctor. His daughter visited him to take his hand to guide him to the doctor. 

There are obviously no qualified eye doctors in Thailand, that is why he had to visit that doctor in a country far away.

It would be funny if it wouldn't be so sad. 

I did see that post, I wonder why he didn't return with her..[if she came back that is]

or is she still guiding him around so he doesn't bump into things.

• Like 1

It just goes to show how much power Thaksin has, e.g. the country cannot govern without his party joining forces, suffice to say, there is his free get out of jail card.

What a clever man, he holds all the aces, yet most of you lot can't see in front of your noses, this is politics at it's best, it's all a game and those in it, make a lot of money, at least Thaksin gave to those who voted for him, as for the others, well, straight to their pockets IMO.

I welcome the man back and so do many battling Thai's. 

• Sad 3

45 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Good that you changed your mind. It seems now many people realize that Thaksin coming back means a lot of headache.

Personally, I think that was obvious since at least 10 years. And many people in this forum criticized me for that standpoint. 

What convinced you to change your mind?

A few months ago, the choice was either this clown or those clowns, i never imagined people could get behind MF party with such strength and numbers.

I didn’t believe that PT could just turn their back on such a response, and it is now perfectly clear the whole charade was to maneuver the party into a position where the sole purpose is to negotiate a return for Tony T. After listening to local folks, you could be mistaken into thinking that PT is a party for the people, it’s not.

I still think, economically he is way better than the current comedians, but I think with all this messing around, and the new obvious agenda, that the door will be left open for Anutin or Prawit to walk straight in and it’s all back to square one.

• Like 1

His daughter says he is returning to Don Muang Airport.  But maybe be all a scam.  If I were Thaksin, I would return to the Isaan heartland at Khon Kaen or Udon Thani Airports, claiming an emergency landing, which would catch everybody off guard and he would be welcomed by his old red shirt comrades.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, grandpa said:

His daughter says he is returning to Don Muang Airport.  But maybe be all a scam.  If I were Thaksin, I would return to the Isaan heartland at Khon Kaen or Udon Thani Airports, claiming an emergency landing, which would catch everybody off guard and he would be welcomed by his old red shirt comrades.

Yes, but there wouldn't be hundreds of reporters and cameras waiting for him.

Imagine he would get out of the plane, and nobody is there to publish it live. What a nightmare for the guy who needs attention 24/7. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

You amaze me OMF, firstly you're not Thai so how do you know what goes on in Thai politics, even Thais don't know. I can assure you that Thaksin is not the only bad man in Thai politics. If a senior Thai MP wasn't totally  bent he wouldn't be a Thai MP in the first place. So why single out Thaksin, balance your posts out with substantiated stories instead of singling out one person. If Thaksin had've been eligible to stand at the last election, the senators would've packed up and moved on. Whether you like it or not the bulk of Thai voters are down trodden people from the country who support the Kingdoms needs by working hard on their farms. Where as you live in your luxury Bangkok apartment without a vote, which you must find quite discomforting at times.

I don't think he is bothered about not having a vote - after all, he has spent the last ten years arguing that anyone who doesn't follow his ideas shouldn't have one!

Admittedly in the last couple of months he has had a bit of a conversion - thunderclap and fall off his horse while en route to Damascus sort of thing; but don't worry, as soon as things settle down and the military are cemented back in charge he will be back on authoritarian form.

Look on the bright side - he hasn't had to spend any money on cans of pop or flowers to hand out to the troops for this change of government!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Didn't some immigration officers just get "reassigned" for doing the same for a foreign celebrity?

No, it’s normal. If you arrive in a private plane you get very little scrutiny from customs and immigration. I have arrived in to many different countries on a private plane owned by people I worked as executive protection for. It’s simply, land, be met at the aircraft, go to a very small office for immigration, stamp the passport and away. If someone is flying in a commercial aircraft, it’s a completely different scenario.

Edited by Falcon
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Soupdragon said:

I wonder if he will do a tour of the north east to be greeted by his loyal support base ????

Wonder how many of the red shirts in the North and Northeast are still loyal following his dirty deal with the military parties. And the  younger voters don't know how who the hell he is.