Thailand aims to be top Muslim tourism destination within 5 years

webfact

11 hours ago, webfact said:

with each guest spending approximately 6,000 baht per day.

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

And they know this how?

They changed it from Indian to Muslim.

Indian tourists spend about seven days in Thailand and spend about 6,000 baht daily

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/indian-arrivals-lead-the-charge-to-reignite-pattaya-tourism-393749

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yussiesamui said:

What's It Gonna Be? Last week it was Indians, 2 weeks ago Chinese, 3 weeks ago Russians, now Muslims and next week????

Interesting question in that it mixes nationality with religion - they're not necessarily synonomous. Communist China forbades religion albeit tolerates some so long as they do not seek conversion of Chinese, Russia is largely Greek Orthodox, India is largely Hindu, Muslims are largely represented by parts of Middle East and Asian nations. 

Seems more productive from a TAT perspective to focus on tourism more by nation than by religion. But then you would have to know more about other nations' cultures and traditions and how that is attracted to tourism in Thailand.  

11 hours ago, Denim said:

Great idea ! I think there is an opportunity here.  I think I will get together with the wife and invent Halal Som Dtam. Money spinner for sure.

Cutting the throats of those tiny fresh-water shrimps requires dexterity.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goat said:

No.

An impressive surge in the volume of Muslim visitors to the country was observed last year, accounting for over three million, a substantial rise from the recorded 875,043 in 2017.

The term "Muslim Travelers" is nebulous at best.  It cannot be used as control for statistical analysis of tourism trends.  And anyone stating they intend to lure "Muslims" is deluded at best.

They might as well say they intend to lure more visitors with white skin, or more visitors with yellow skin.

What should happen is the TAT identifies what source countries it expects increased inflows from.  That would then be able to be monitored accurately with arrival statistics.  But the TAT have embraced "Muslim Travelers" because it is gray all incompassing term and thus lowers their accountability.

In simple terms motivation for travel has two sets of underlying factors.  The first is the Pull factors...sex...sun...girls...food...business and so on.  The second is Push factors...need a break, stressed, treat the wife and kids, sick of being surround by Muslims.....etc.

The OP article has no utility whatsoever.  Zero.  What should be reported by the TAT is what countries they expect an increase of visitation from and their analysis of the push and pull factors accounting for this increase.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

Wait till they start demanding female police officers be excluded from arresting male Muslims and demanding the change of menus with all pork dishes removed. Instead of the usual T- Shirt sellers, they will be offering bargain burkas 

1 hour ago, Goat said:

No.

An impressive surge in the volume of Muslim visitors to the country was observed last year, accounting for over three million, a substantial rise from the recorded 875,043 in 2017.

I think you will find more farangs in Pattaya and Patong. Those places were set up for farangs.

And my friend who owns a big hotel prefers them as they are cleaner, dont drink and cause problems mostly and spend more.

Probably getting charged 5 star Villa prices and recieving 2 star service.

I assume they are paying a 10% service fee anyway?

Boring post

18 minutes ago, Goat said:

The TAT does a lot better with their predictions than you do.

Aussie dollar thread of yours completly wrong.

If the TAT say they will get more muslim holiday makers I am sure they will.

One of the most successful government Tourism agencies on the planet. They have created hundreds of thousands of jobs lifting millions out of poverty in Thailand and also from neighboring countries. Created thousands of millionaires.

Your complaining friends would be jobless without the TAT.

TAT even lured you here even though you wont admit it. They got me too.

But i know that TAT bashing is a popular pasttime of the Doomers and Gloomers, the Whiners and Whingers and the Complainers on this forum.

The comments are predictable every time TAT is mentioned. I can not understand the hatred towards them. Some people just hate it when Thais have success luring in millions more tourists than their countries.

Long Live the TAT. Amazing Thailand.

Piffle...

You can settle this debate promptly by posting a link showing statistical analysis of tourist arrival numbers based on religion, AND NOT COUNTRY OF ORIGIN.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Wait till they start demanding female police officers be excluded from arresting male Muslims and demanding the change of menus with all pork dishes removed. Instead of the usual T- Shirt sellers, they will be offering bargain burkas "

I believe they escape home country conditions. Like most Russian who come to Thailand.

A friend of mine went to So Thailand Muslim area and said "It's the quietest and safest place". The reason; No alcohol!

I plan to go to see it too.

On Jomtien I bought the best fried chicken from Muslim street vendor 2 yrs ago. Last winter they, an old man and woman, were gone.  I miss them.

46 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Piffle...

You can settle this debate promptly by posting a link showing statistical analysis of tourist arrival numbers based on religion, AND NOT COUNTRY OF ORIGIN.

Where would he/they get the data from?

It is not asked for on the TM6 or hotel registrations and religion is not based on country of passport holder!

Edited by scottiejohn

14 hours ago, Deserted said:

The more tourists the better but let's hope they do respect the law when they arrive.

Of course they'll respect the law, those that wish too anyway, after it has been amended to suit their "religious" beliefs and teachings. Like do not kill, unless it's a non-believer then it's OK.

6 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:

Came to Thailand from the UK especially to get away from them.

The Crusades began as a direct pushback into Islamic expansion into the Holy Land and Southern Europe. 

No country in their right mind would tolerate their antiquated views and religious dogma.

Not sure why the UK is bending over backwards to accommodate them? Will ONLY result in civil unrest, and perhaps worse. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

Not very likely if Thaksin is back running the show, even if he's just pulling the strings from behind the curtains, too many people will remember horrors like Tak Bai.

That was the army while Thaksin was PM. 

He didn’t give the orders or supervise that debacle, the generals did. 

Certainly a blot on the copybook in any case.