Bangkok to Tokyo route to tempt Thai travellers

snoop1130

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'd want to go... considering I've never been to Japan before, and it's long been on my bucket list....

And for reasons having nothing to do with any price differences between Patpong and Kabukicho.

of course not, you never to soapys and mainly do not want anybody knowing that you do do not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Minekuji anticipates that 70% of passengers would be Thais and predicted that 30% would likely be female Japanese passengers. He added that Japanese women loved travelling in Thailand.

Konnichiwa...

1. Japs? What are we in 1943?

2. This might be a mistake by ANA.  A week in Japan(especially in the major cities) is comparable to three weeks in BKK. The cost differential between visiting LOS and the Land of the Rising Sun is huge.  The longest I have stayed in Japan was 4 days and it was expensive just for a decent hotel and food. A Taxi ride from NRT to central Tokyo was almost $80 dollars.,  I had a large suitcase and just did not feel like taking the train/metro.  Doubt I will go back to Japan but if I did I would take the train from the airport.  Of course now Haneda is the preferred airport which is closer to the city. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Thais can travel to Japan visa free for a maximum 15 day stay.

It's a popular destination for Thais, even in the Winter where it is one country which is easy to get to with snow.

A lot of Thais go with tour groups.

Thai travel vloggers cover Japan extensively.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

1. Japs? What are we in 1943?

2. This might be a mistake by ANA.  A week in Japan(especially in the major cities) is comparable to three weeks in BKK. The cost differential between visiting LOS and the Land of the Rising Sun is huge.  The longest I have stayed in Japan was 4 days and it was expensive just for a decent hotel and food. A Taxi ride from NRT to central Tokyo was almost $80 dollars.,  I had a large suitcase and just did not feel like taking the train/metro.  Doubt I will go back to Japan but if I did I would take the train from the airport.  Of course now Haneda is the preferred airport which is closer to the city. 

Limousine bus from Narita to Tokyo is most convenient, or used to be when I lived there up till 1998.

19 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Considering all the japs who come to Thailand to monger, it rather works the other way round. Besides who really wants to visit a country (like many others) that openly dumps nuclear waste water in the ocean ?

Thailand vies to be Number 1 in dumping plastic waste into the ocean so Thai visitors to Japan will not give a hoot.

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'd want to go... considering I've never been to Japan before, and it's long been on my bucket list....

And for reasons having nothing to do with any price differences between Patpong and Kabukicho.

Plus I wouldn't mind taking a flight along with 30% Japanese women... There are worse fates in life. ????

Be careful what you wish. A 30% Japanese woman is very likely 70% male......????

• Haha 1

A little more from last year:

https://thethaiger.com/news/world/asia/thai-visitors-to-japan-up-fourfold

In 2019, specifically, 1.8 million Japanese visited Thailand with 1.3 million Thais going the other way.

That's a lot of butts in seats.  6.2 million cheeks.  Hopefully, they'll get up to pre-covid levels as the number of flights return to normal.

Just out of curiosity, if 70% are Thai, and 30% are Japanese women, where do the Japanese men go?

On 8/25/2023 at 10:13 PM, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Who wants to go to Japan considering the price differences between Patpong and Kabukicho????

I am in Tokyo as I type this. It is far cheaper than Thailand for the vast majority of things you buy eg food, restaurants, wine, even supermarket beer at 25 baht for 500ml. cheap as chips as the Aussies say. Roppongi is a bargain.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, retarius said:

I am in Tokyo as I type this. It is far cheaper than Thailand for the vast majority of things you buy eg food, restaurants, wine, even supermarket beer at 25 baht for 500ml. cheap as chips as the Aussies say. Roppongi is a bargain.

Ok send us a pic of the menu and we may believe you. If not, in general view, Tokyo is considered by international evaluations as in the top 5 of the world's most expensive places...

On 8/25/2023 at 8:01 PM, observer90210 said:

Considering all the japs who come to Thailand to monger, it rather works the other way round. Besides who really wants to visit a country (like many others) that openly dumps nuclear waste water in the ocean ?

Firstly: you have have fallen foul of both believing the media hysteria and being uneducated in such matters. 

The water being disposed of is no different from the nuclear waste water being disposed of from nuclear power stations the world over, the regulatory standard of 60,000 becquerels per litre as dictated by the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency).

The waste water from Fukushima is 1500 becquerels per litre and, thus, well within those safe limits. 

Secondly: About 1.3 million Thai tourists visit Japan each year, approximately 4.1% of Japans total tourism market. Thai's receive a free 15 day visa on arrival. 

1.8 million Japanese visit Thailand (in the same year - stats from 2019)... thus there is a 400,000 person difference. 

You need to change your username - 'observer' (observant) is pretty much the polar opposite what your posts present....  

• Like 2

What you are seeing are the international evaluations which are used by major corporations to set their COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) rate. These evaluations include the cost of housing and motoring. When I moved here in 2009, the apartment cost was over $14000 a month, and my car was around $4000 a month; the dollar yen rate was just over 80, now it is 146, (and one baht is 4 yen). There has been minimal inflation in Japan in the intervening years and so everything is about half price compared to 2009. 

If I divide everything I but in yen by 4 to arrive at the baht equivalent, the place is amazingly cheap, but then again I'm not paying for accommodation or transport.

No pics of menus, I am in my living room, and I don't seem to have any menus lying around.

You don't have to believe me, your ignorance of the prices here is your loss, not mine.

On 8/25/2023 at 11:01 PM, observer90210 said:

Who come to Monger ? They are the biggest groups of working expats in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ok... Costs...

Feb 2023 - 3 nights (Super Premier Inn - Ginza)

JPY: 56,700  (abut THB 4500 per night) for 2 Adults + child

Adults in double bed, child in loft bed (above) room tiny. 

Nagano (*Hakuba) - 11 nights

JPY 303,00 (about THB 6580 per-night) for 2 Adults + child 

2 Bedrooms.

Car Hire - 10 nights.

JPY 105,00 (about THB 2512 per day) 4x4.

Food: Variable

From JPY 1000 (THB 240) Ramen

To as high as you want to go depending on luxury etc 

Beer - very well priced - about 500ml for JPY 500 (about THB 120).

• Thanks 1