Looking to Import an Expensive Used Guitar

FatVern

Hi, I am looking for ways to import an expensive used guitar over the 80K baht value. From what little I've researched of shipping, the customs levies are often arbitrary and can be 100% of value? I've also considered flying in with it as carry-on luggage. I've also wondered if any music stores or importers might help with shipping. Anyway, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions or experience with this process. Thanks

I have imported a few guitars here and always a crap shoot. Usually 30% but they out their own estimate on and won't enter into debate. For eg you buy a Jap Fender Strat....they google it or whatever they do to get a value and all of a sudden you are paying 30% used US Fender prices. Forget about receipts or marking as a gift etc. It won't fly even if genuine. They do their own tax estimate and its "up to them". DHL I wouldn't recommend at all. I gave up. Last guitar I bought, expensive vintage Yamaha SG. Like it came from the 80s in a time machine. Arrived with a pretty severe neck crack. Was a sin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

What type are you considering that they don't have available here.....

It's a Les Paul R9 Left Handed with an uncommon finish. It looks like a new Greeny to me. 

Edited by FatVern
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, FatVern said:

Hi, I am looking for ways to import an expensive used guitar over the 80K baht value. From what little I've researched of shipping, the customs levies are often arbitrary and can be 100% of value? I've also considered flying in with it as carry-on luggage. I've also wondered if any music stores or importers might help with shipping. Anyway, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions or experience with this process. Thanks

Your better off buying one here !

Unless you got money to burn.

my opinion 

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

I hand carried 4 at different times coming through Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Two of them were nearly new, and I only got asked once what was in the case and never stopped.

I had receipts with me in the event they tried to charge me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FatVern said:

From what little I've researched of shipping, the customs levies are often arbitrary and can be 100% of value?

The general duty rate for both acoustic and electric guitars is 10 per cent of the CIF, and under some circumstances the duty rate is 0 per cent.

You then have to pay VAT on top of the CIF and the duty.

Used goods are taxable, at a value decided by customs. If the invoice or declaration accompanying the goods is reasonable then customs will accept it.

Think about it logically. If all used imports went untaxed then most imported goods would be classed as used and nobody would be paying duty.

Clearly, the goods have a value if you are prepared to pay to ship and insure them.

Musical instruments such as guitars are oversized to carry onto planes as hand luggage. Professional musicians do hand carry instruments, but they purchase a seat for the instrument.

Depending where you are flying from it might be cheaper to fly in with the guitar than ship it.

• Like 2

My experience with customs over the years has not been easy they want to make their own rules as they go along how much they think they can get away with, but here in Phuket you can negotiate, ok i wasn't importing guitars get your self armed with some facts and figures,

I had two run in with DHL they were calling me from Bangkok to come and collect the parcel and I live in Phuket I paid for door to door service so you deliver it to Phuket, OK send the parcel back about 2 weeks later I got a call from the Phuket customs they are not shy when it comes to money, OK sunshine Im not playing your stupid games get out your harmonization book and I will give the number to look up, I had already done it so I knew what it was it was only 5% bye now he is well pissed off, maybe you could look to see if there is an harmonization code for guitars, might be worth a look   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, FatVern said:

I've also considered flying in with it as carry-on luggage.

Seems fewer and fewer airlines are allowing guitars as carry-ons nowadays. It used to be that you could stow a guitar in a soft case in the overhead bin or in the closet, but now it seems most airlines expect you purchase an extra seat for the instrument (yeah, like that's ever going to happen! LOL.)

The U.S. airlines I used to fly into BKK always used to allow guitars as carry-on luggage, but, unfortunately, it seems most of them use code share flights with other airlines (e.g., ANA, Korean Airlines, et al) for the final leg of long haul flights into BKK nowadays.

My solution, when flying with guitars with bolt-on necks, has been to disassemble the necks and pack both the body and the neck in a checked bag.

I've never run into any problems doing it that way.

I've read anecdotes from some travelers about how they were still able to finesse their guitars on board in spite of these "purchase an extra seat" policies, but I'm unwilling to take such chances.

I lucked out when I first moved to Thailand as I was able to ship all of my guitars via USPS to a relative's APO address at domestic U.S. postal rates.

• Like 1

If you are in Pattaya go to New Bar in Soi Made in Thailand (the upper part), Ask for Peter he has a collection of guitars at home and in the bar on display. Which he adds to occasionally.

It's a lady boy bar so to find it on the net if you're not in Pattaya you might have to go to the Pattaya Ladyboys Forum in your search (New Bar). I have always found Peter very friendly and I believe his knowledge of guitars is quite extensive.

Although it's a ladyboy bar it's also a nice quiet bar to have a drink in. You won't get hassled by any of the staff or other customers. I hope this helps.

• Like 1

I just flew in with a vintage strat a couple of months ago, and have flown in with guitars many times over the years without any issue. EVA Airlines is great about carry on instruments (free) and lets you board first so the flight staff has plenty of time to find a closet for it. I checked FedEx about my other instruments and decided flying them in as a personal possession was the only way to go. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/27/2023 at 1:30 PM, FatVern said:

I've also considered flying in with it as carry-on luggage

Here you go.

No drama at all, beside they might consider you a hippie with a stash of drugs in the guitar bag... 

Oh, the guitar will not fit in the overhead compartments, hence you put it to your luggage and let the cargo staff deal with it, they usually throw it not further that 4 meters... 

Maybe you could declare that this guitar has a high "symbolic" value for you and it has only a bootsale value...

A cool receipt from a 2nd hand shop could help too... 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 7:30 AM, FatVern said:

I've also considered flying in with it as carry-on luggage.

That's what I would do in your case – I brought all my four '60s vintage guitars in the way – duty and import costs can be quite high.

• Like 1

It may be cheaper in the long run to fly it in with you. I've brought guitars in with me many times with no problems, although these days many airlines won't let you bring them into the cabin. However, you can ask to have them hand-carried to the plane. A couple of nail-biting minutes when the ride gets rough, but never had a problem doing it this way.

I always tune down a bit, but never more than two steps, and pad the front and back of the guitar with a towel. Of course, it's in a padded hard case, not a gig bag. Throw a couple of rumpled lead sheets so it looks more used.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 12:34 PM, JimTripper said:

Buying a guitar overseas does not qualify as importing household items.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reginald Prewster said:

A cool receipt from a 2nd hand shop could help too... 

That would do nothing whatsoever, do you think Thai Customs came down with the last shower?   Duty is based on perceived  CIF value, new or used is irrelevant for duty and VAT purposes.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 8:39 AM, FatVern said:

It's a Les Paul R9 Left Handed with an uncommon finish. It looks like a new Greeny to me. 

Well, be prepared to pay quite some taxes on that one. The regular non custom shop retails for 3190 something dollars, the custom shop one goes for 10K and the premium custom shop goes for 50K. 

If you live in Bangkok there's an official Gibson store at Central World. They might have one orcmaybe they can help you find one in Thailand.

Also, the thing about the Greeny is that the neck pickup is installed reversed and if you go to the middle position it creates this out of phase almost single coil type of sound. You can do this literally to any Les Paul. So you might be better off buying a second hand Les Paul on Thailand and get the pickup and the wiring done there. The guy's at the Gibson shop at Central World can give you the number and the address of a guy who does that type of stuff. His shop is somewhere near Ramkamhaeng Rd, if I remember correctly. 

There's another guitar shop near the National Stadium BTS stop. I'm not sure if it's still there  but they had used Les Paul's back then. If you're at National Stadium and you look towards Siam Paragon there's the big crossing right in front of you and you have to turn left there and the shop will be on the right, but I can't tell you how far away from the crossing it is. It might be one or two BTS stations. 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

My experience here with customs.

Anything shipped that looks like it could be expensive they are all over like flies on.... 

Anything carried through the airport by a Westerner they are simply not bothered about at all. 

I've brought in Bicycles, Ski's, Motorcycle equipment, Infant Car Seats, Push-Chairs - never so much as a raised eye-brow.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 12:34 PM, JimTripper said:

Exactly my thoughts.

I brought an expensive guitar with me when I came to Thailand, and nobody asked me anything.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 12:43 PM, bendejo said:

Sounds good.

Emphasize that it is old, used, falling apart etc but has personal sentimental value.  Good idea to not be carrying any receipts involving it. 

Yeah, I'd go this route too. It's your personal guitar. Guitars being carried through airports are a common sight. Don't overthink it. I walked through the "Nothing to Declare" exit with a boxed bicycle a few times. No one said a word. Good luck.

Edited by Hockeybik
  • Like 1