Thailand’s household debt soars as auto loans and cooperative debts spike

webfact

image.jpeg

The secretary-general of the National Economic and Social Development Council (NESDC), Danucha Pichayanan, has issued a warning over the steady increase in Thailand‘s household debt.

The critical areas requiring stringent monitoring were identified as auto loans and debt originating from savings cooperatives.

During a press conference outlining the nation’s social outlook for the second quarter of 2023, Danucha revealed that household debt in the first quarter had surged to 15.9 trillion baht, marking a 3.6% increase.

This uptick shows a slight acceleration from the 3.5% rise seen in the previous quarter. Conversely, the household debt to GDP ratio showed a minor decrease, standing at 90.6%.

Danucha attributed the bulk of the first quarter’s household debt growth to real estate purchases and personal loans, which rose by 5% and 5.3% respectively compared to the previous quarter.

by Alex Morgan

Image by 89Stocker

-- The Thaiger 2023-08-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/business/thailands-household-debt-soars-as-auto-loans-and-cooperative-debts-spike

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, retarius said:

I don't know what saving cooperatives are exactly....I imagine like in the old days the building societies, if you had a savings account with them, they would give you a mortgage.

Except the building society would cap your mortgage to the level of your proven monthly income..

Not family members zig-zagging money through each others account to show income from somewhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

There should be a controlling institute... Car sellers sell cars to people who can't afford the installments.. After a few months the sellers take the car back for half price they sold and the buyer have to pay the difference with a big interest everytime .... The car seller sell the car again so they use people to get their money.. It is pure scam, but there are no regulations

Thats what happens in other countries. So, I dont understand what you are on about

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrukenMallardy said:

Debt is a really big and growing problem in Thailand.

I know loads of people who just max out their cards like no tomorrow or borrow like crazy without any plans of repaying, or get into installments without much whim.

I think this is a much more widespread phenomenon than Thailand, tbh.

You also have to factor in the huge amount of private businesses and jobs lost here as a direct consequence of the Covid lockdowns, with virtually-zero compensation from the Thai Govt.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, huangnon said:

You also have to factor in the huge amount of private businesses and jobs lost here as a direct consequence of the Covid lockdowns, with virtually-zero compensation from the Thai Govt.

Hey - they're going to give every Thai 10K for voting for the right parties.  "Whoo Hoo"
But of course, a month after they issue those funds to Thailand, inflation will explode 20% or more and it ain't ever coming back down.  Then it's back to applying for more credit so Thais can afford to eat.

Debt is slavery   I live beneath my means aka income...never had debt and is a personal choice

If I dont have the cash available i simply take a pass.....thais seem unable to do this as Ive seen plenty of poor people that seem quite content...basic human needs are attainable here imo....

i eat street food --live in a simple studio--all of my possessions are 2nd hand and as is my 28 yr old honda dream i just drove to the laos border without any issues....built to last...simple living

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Debt is slavery   I live beneath my means aka income...never had debt and is a personal choice

If I dont have the cash available i simply take a pass.....thais seem unable to do this as Ive seen plenty of poor people that seem quite content...basic human needs are attainable here imo....

i eat street food --live in a simple studio--all of my possessions are 2nd hand and as is my 28 yr old honda dream i just drove to the laos border without any issues....built to last...simple living

The whole world is not a single old guy with life experience.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

The whole world is not a single old guy with life experience.

if youre referring to me, then correct as im stating my opinion as you see the "imo"..

isnt that what a forum is? a discussion about ones experiences?....all shapes and sizes....

say hello to mommy for me..she need to get in the basement to do laundry...

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

This uptick shows a slight acceleration from the 3.5% rise seen in the previous quarter. Conversely, the household debt to GDP ratio showed a minor decrease, standing at 90.6%.

I am no economist, but this does not Compute for me

If the Household Debt showed a minor increase of 3.5 % of GDP,, then why , when GDP is falling has the % of debt to GDP also fallen

Surely the % of Debt to GDP would increase

Also I am going to say that 3.6 % rise of Debt to GDP is not a minor increase at all - its huge

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Danucha revealed that household debt in the first quarter had surged to 15.9 trillion baht, marking a 3.6% increase

To put that 15.9 Trillion number into some kind of context, all the Revenue Departments in Thailand collected a total of 1.9 Trillion Baht for the first 9 Months of the Year

This Household Debt is eye watering, specially as 80 % of it is unsecured

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

if youre referring to me, then correct as im stating my opinion as you see the "imo"..

isnt that what a forum is? a discussion about ones experiences?....all shapes and sizes....

say hello to mommy for me..she need to get in the basement to do laundry...

'say hello to mommy for me..she need to get in the basement to do laundry...'

Will do!  Trouble is she's curled up in a chair with terminal cancer and Alzheimers.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

My 7 year old takes 30 baht to school each day, what she does not spend she puts in the piggy bank, we got 600 baht this month on recyclables - she knows she get 25% of it and put it in the piggy bank. any money she gets from friends and relatives goes in the piggy bank.  We have taught her to understand money and save for schooling and housing - and she totally understands at 7. Seems like my 7 year old daughter is smarter financially at planning that 95% of the Thai nation

That's really good.  What I would say though is that you and she are in a position where you can save. Not decrying you or your daughter's achievements, but you likely come from a slightly better background than the majority.  Thailand is a low wage economy without much of a social welfare net.  UK and USA are veering that way too imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

My 7 year old takes 30 baht to school each day, what she does not spend she puts in the piggy bank, we got 600 baht this month on recyclables - she knows she get 25% of it and put it in the piggy bank. any money she gets from friends and relatives goes in the piggy bank.  We have taught her to understand money and save for schooling and housing - and she totally understands at 7. Seems like my 7 year old daughter is smarter financially at planning that 95% of the Thai nation

Good practise and well done But I can see a future problem when your daughter goes to uni amongst all the have nots she will probably be the only have a lot and that in itself will cause her angst, the envy and indeed jealousy will be tantamount to suffering so may I also suggest that whilst you are commendably teaching her good life skills you should also begin to teach her how to handle the inevitable.

Best wishes 

Just another place where people want to be like the West.  Own things, buy cars, buy condos, go on vacations.  But, there is no way they can sustain it here.  At some point these bills will be due and I bet a major recession will occur once many are maxed out on everything.

In February 2023 the Bank of Thailand published "Sustainable Solutions to Thailand's Household Debt Problems" is detailed on the subject. You want to be wide awake to entirely read it.

https://www.bot.or.th

An example of a debt area among many identified is "Debts that Require Immediate Attention." It covers 70% Non Perfoming Loans (NPL's) which are mostly personal and agricultural loans which are held by Specialized Financial Institutions. It proceeds to address the desired outcomes from immediately solving problems from 4 types of debt and remedial actions.

So it seems to me that NESDC's current revelations now are very past due and lacks any specific agenda to address Thailand's debt issues. In spite of BOT's 6 month-old analysis. Why?

The answer might be in BOT's section "What Success Looks Like." Basically, it cites several intuitive actions (vs rocket science ) required by creditors, the government, stakeholders and debtors. Those actions might not be very acceptable to a new government that may have the need to weave politics between its minority coalition members to maintain power. Stalling any substantive solutions might be its immediate priority that will in effect further exacerbate the debt crisis. It will be the "Do Nothing" scenario but with "Great Fanfare."

On 8/29/2023 at 3:48 PM, Cake Monster said:

If the Household Debt showed a minor increase of 3.5 % of GDP,, then why , when GDP is falling has the % of debt to GDP also fallen

Also I am going to say that 3.6 % rise of Debt to GDP is not a minor increase at all - its huge

Thailand’s GDP grew by 2.6% Q1 and 1.8% Q2, 2023.

The 3.5% increase in household debt is an annual increase, so +0.875% this quarter. 

It actually all make sense.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2023 at 12:12 PM, DrukenMallardy said:

Financial literacy is 0 and if the financial system doesn't curb its lending policies then Thailand's going to have its own financial crisis sooner or later. 

From the OP:

"Despite the Finance Ministry’s efforts to improve financial literacy regarding borrowing, finance, and debt management, the survey indicated a decline in financial literacy and access to financial services compared to 2020."

On 8/29/2023 at 10:07 AM, retarius said:

I don't know what saving cooperatives are exactly...

I believe they're kind of like the Thai version of a credit union... except from everything I've read in the past, very loosely regulated or effectively not regulated here...and often seem to be the location for various financial misdeeds by the big wigs involved.

This one from the OP was a shocker:

"Loans to cooperatives totalled 940 billion baht, with half being classified as non-productive loans."

Half???

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Thailand’s GDP grew by 2.6% Q1 and 1.8% Q2, 2023.

The 3.5% increase in household debt is an annual increase, so +0.875% this quarter. 

It actually all make sense.

Thanks

As I said I am no economist

I still cannot equate how falling Exports and diminished Tourism, which account for roughly 48 % of GDP can have possible expanded a GDP

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/29/2023 at 5:48 PM, Cake Monster said:

I am no economist, but this does not Compute for me

To put that 15.9 Trillion number into some kind of context, all the Revenue Departments in Thailand collected a total of 1.9 Trillion Baht for the first 9 Months of the Year

This Household Debt is eye watering, specially as 80 % of it is unsecured

The GDP to debt ratio usually refers to national debt, and doesn't include personal debt.