Does money make YOU happy?

bob smith

4 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Money is not the only thing in life to make a person happy. 
But if you do have enough money it can make you happy.  By doing what you enjoy.  

I don't think so

Women makeup and plastic surgery

Men gym and steroids

A lot don't like their looks

Money can't fix that

Your mistake was letting others know, not the money.

It only makes you unhappy if it changes your relationships. Most of it is envy from others. One of the most destructive sins that looks to tear you down. It’s based in anger. Do some damage control now as much as possible.

1. Refuse to talk about money or what you do with people you know or anybody who knows who you are (word spreads like wildfire). Find other subjects to talk about when people ask. Fun stuff, like cooking or rowing.

Little by little the people around you will either distance themselves from you, or stick around. You don’t even need to do much, just refuse to discuss it. Don’t lie (I got the watch as a gift, etc) or make excuses, that leads to other problems.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

the thai ladies approve of your post and asked for me to get your LINE ID  ????

They already have it - - trust me... 

though as Bill Maher once said - when ladies go shopping for shoes, it's not that they don't have shoes, they want new shoes... and men want new ladoes.

Edited by 1FinickyOne

I never discuss my wealth when people ask I tell then I am comfortable it’s pointless telling an untruth as they know I own a beautiful beach front property and drive an expensive car . I choose to live on my own but I do have a few lady friends who I like to spoil when in the mood The main thing is that at 72 I’m rich in health and that overrides any amount of money or items that I own 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, crazykopite said:

when people ask I tell then I am comfortable

So, a guy is walking the streets in NYC and gets clipped by a speeding car - he falls to the sidewalk and cuts his head open... a passerby props him up and bandages his head... and asks, "Are you comfortable?" And he answers - "I'm okay, I make about $100,000 a year." 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, chuang said:

Money makes the world goes round.

It's better to be crying in a Rolls Royce that be happy on a bicycle.

No it is not "contentment/happiness" on a bicycle is far superior to crying in a Rolls Royce, 

especially if that is all you do in the Roller ; )

I did have a Mercedes 500SL Sports (hard top removable so is also a convertible)

That is the most happiness a car has bought me so far. 

It's not the money, it is what you buy with it (on your bucket list), that defines how happy 

it makes you....

A really killer "man cave" helps, if that is on your list....

IH

mezzanine.jpg

• Love It 1

20 hours ago, Trippy said:

I'm going to be very very happy when I win the Thai lottery tomorrow for 12 million.

I am not saying it hasn't happened, but in my 16 years here, I have never heard of any farang winning 3 million let alone 12 million.

32 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I am not saying it hasn't happened, but in my 16 years here, I have never heard of any farang winning 3 million let alone 12 million.

In my 30 years of coming here, I haven't either.

But the news only shows a lottery winner once in awhile, most are kept private. There's a 1 in a million chance of winning the big prize, there's over 70 million Thais, if just 10% of them buy 1 ticket, it means there are 7 big prize winners every draw, and we don't hear about more than 90% of them.

1 hour ago, Datsun 1200 said:

No it is not "contentment/happiness" on a bicycle is far superior to crying in a Rolls Royce, 

especially if that is all you do in the Roller ; )

I did have a Mercedes 500SL Sports (hard top removable so is also a convertible)

That is the most happiness a car has bought me so far. 

It's not the money, it is what you buy with it (on your bucket list), that defines how happy 

it makes you....

A really killer "man cave" helps, if that is on your list....

IH

mezzanine.jpg

Fake photo

On 8/31/2023 at 1:17 PM, bob smith said:

ive been dirt poor and ive been quite rich.

right now i have more than enough money to last me the rest of my life.

but somehow I see my happiness level slowly decreasing as my personal wealth accumulates. 

Does anyone else notice this?

when i was dirt poor i was free in many ways that i am no longer.

when you have money you are a slave to everyone who wants to get it from you.

slave to the latest iphone, fastest car, newest rolex etc

when you are poor none of that matters.

you just dont care.

I tried explaining this once to a thai girl. she told me her dream was to marry a rich man and I told her that money wont bring her happiness.

She looked at me as if i had farted. she was extremely offended by this notion and almost got up and walked out of the restaurant. 

So, does money make you happy?

If so, how?

I find that money is a tool to use whenever you need it. but as for bringing one happiness?

i've yet to experience that.

Money does not really make me happy Bob, though I do enjoy the freedom of choice it sometimes provides. I will say that lack of money definitely makes me sad.

You see,  the trick is to become stable but avoid being overtaken by greed.  When you have no limitation to what you can obtain you are left with trying to obtain the unobtainable, like being taller,  getting a super model to truly fall in love with the size of your pecker. That is what makes you feel bad.  May i suggest just get out and give some of the money to those who truly need it.  Not so it puts you outa whack.  Just what you wont miss too much. 

Money in and of itself is another false dream.

As the decades pass I am pursuing health and vitality, and mental state control. 

I look at it like a series of plateaus.  Money can only elevate you so much.  To achieve the Nirvana you desire more is required.

I have been experiencing a great deal of success integrating natural products into my life, and reducing unatural products.  As the tangible benefits keep accumulating, I keep progressing.

My results indicate an omnipotent force is present elevating my life to whatever my intuition desires. The only limitation being my mental programs instilled since birth.   As each is eliminated, a new round of success results.  An unexpected pleasure.

Most girls/ladies wish to marry up – don't forget that diamonds are a girl's best friend – so, it's quite normal that girls are dreaming about marrying a millionaire (today a billionaire).

I have as you tried to be almost penniless and also having some funds. I appreciate the latter and i feel more happy with enough; I wasn't happy or had less problems, when I was penniless...:whistling:

I still look forward to my EuroJackpot, so I can afford even more happiness...????

Money might not make me happy but it definitely gives me more options to do different things, which may lead to making me happier--I'm a pretty happy person with or without money.  And, it can certainly contribute to peace of mind, which can also contribute to being happier.  

I remember for so many years living paycheck to paycheck in my low-paying job, praying that something major and expensive to repair did not break that month--and then hoping the same thing the next month.  Will I have enough money to pay the rent this month?--always on my mind.  (Perhaps that is one of the reasons I've always liked owning the roof over my head.)

Finally scrapped up enough money, along with a small loan from my Dad, to secure the down payment  to buy my first condo, which I fixed up and later sold, paying Dad off.  Did that a few times, making some profit on each, which was plowed into the next condo.  And then, I had a big condo sale, netting $70,000.  

$70,000, of course, is peanuts to many but at the time I was only making around $30,000 a year, in very expensive northern Virginia, and I had little in the way of savings.  So, it was a huge windfall for me, and I remember it to this day.  Suddenly, I could breathe.  Suddenly, I didn't have to be constantly worrying about being able to pay a big repair bill--or anything else unexpected that might come up.  I could take a trip.  I could trade-in my old clunker for a better car.  As I said in my first sentence, having some money, for the first time, opened things up for me and gave me more options in my life, which made for a happier me.

• Like 1

This is no chocolate, full of sugar to alter the taste of the chocolate.

To my knowledge, it is impossible to find real chocolate such as Swiss or Belgian chocolate on Hua Hin and around.

Edited by BE88
  • Confused 1

On 8/31/2023 at 11:47 AM, bob smith said:

ive been dirt poor and ive been quite rich.

right now i have more than enough money to last me the rest of my life.

but somehow I see my happiness level slowly decreasing as my personal wealth accumulates. 

Does anyone else notice this?

when i was dirt poor i was free in many ways that i am no longer.

when you have money you are a slave to everyone who wants to get it from you.

slave to the latest iphone, fastest car, newest rolex etc

when you are poor none of that matters.

you just dont care.

I tried explaining this once to a thai girl. she told me her dream was to marry a rich man and I told her that money wont bring her happiness.

She looked at me as if i had farted. she was extremely offended by this notion and almost got up and walked out of the restaurant. 

So, does money make you happy?

If so, how?

I find that money is a tool to use whenever you need it. but as for bringing one happiness?

i've yet to experience that.

when you have money you are a slave to everyone who wants to get it from you.

slave to the latest iphone, fastest car, newest rolex etc

This is an issue specific to an Individual. 

A rich person can enjoy the luxuries available without being a slave. 

• Like 1