Overstay charge lands international visitor in trouble at Phuket airport

webfact

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

There's something rotten at this airport, I've read about this kind of thing before.

You're supposed to be allowed to pay the fine on the way out of the country.

And his had his fine ready?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Visa-Overstay.jpg

An international visitor was apprehended at Phuket International Airport this week,

The man, whose identity and nationality remain undisclosed,

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Wonder what country he is from.....if it had been UK, EU, OZ, US you can be sure the nationality would be in bold, letting everyone know what country the criminal is from.  Hmm...

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

There's something rotten at this airport, I've read about this kind of thing before.

No, they are just getting better! Arrest every scum that overstays a minute.

5 hours ago, smedly said:

correct, he obviously had a flight booked pay 20k and go

Looks like they are changing that now. Hope it regards all airports and other crossings.

26 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

"So there must be"

"A system such as this one"

"To keep such scum"

"From sharing my idyll"

Fits to the opening bars of the "Horst Wessel Lied" Gottfried my dear chap! 

????

Can´t care less what you are babbling about. Overstayers should out. If one can´t even take care of the visa and permission to stay, then one is not ready to move out from mommy and papi. Even less ready to travel or move abroad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Relax man, it's just a little overstay, not murder.

Sure, I know. However, it a way of showing respect and adulthood to care for such things. If not mature enough go back to breast feeding.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, stevenl said:
5 hours ago, ukrules said:

And his had his fine ready?

A few possibilities here I guess.

1) he didn't have the money to pay the fine.

2) His overstay was significant enough to warrant being black-listed. i.e. if he has overstayed for more than 90 days he'd be prevented from re-entry to the Kingdom within 1 year. 

I'm guessing #2 is more likely, but doesn't this sort of stuff happen every day, I'm not sure this is particularly news worthy at all, unless Immigration deliberately trying to send out a message - another crack-down perhaps. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

a PR opportunity for immigration

Opportunity?  More like shooting yourself in the foot, I'd say!

At least if they had given the amount of overstay, it would have been ok, but to not disclose that crucial info, it possibly sends a message that even a one-day overstay could result in jail, if you visit Thailand!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, bluejets said:

So ...break the law and do your big deal farang thing and fork out money to please the population.

Should be more arrests and "kicked out" with a 5 year ban PLUS the fine.

Why do some people come on here who obviously have deep racist hatred for non thai people? If you hate us so much why are you wasting your time on here? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

over time an overstay will eventually happen.. for multiple reasons.. usually easy to handle.. but some here would cut one down for that.. until it happens to them..:) but i am sure that if it would happen to them they would immediately face the consequences and leave the country out of their own principle?? right 

• Thumbs Up 2

59 minutes ago, Zapitapi said:

over time an overstay will eventually happen.. for multiple reasons.. usually easy to handle.. but some here would cut one down for that.. until it happens to them..:) but i am sure that if it would happen to them they would immediately face the consequences and leave the country out of their own principle?? right 

Exactly... some of the robotic, hard-line, hang-em-high responses are completely devoid of the recognition that innocent mistakes happen. 

In this case I'm not sure how 'innocent' the overstay was if they are going to ban the overstayer... But, neither is overstaying an horrific crime, it could be argued that it's primarily victimless. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

He's shown an unhinged degree of inflexibility and an element of Schadenfreude at someone else's misfortune. 

I know people who have overstayed by a day or two through none other than the simplest of misunderstandings - i.e. purchased a Thai Elite Visa and were not made aware they have to make an extension of stay every 90 day - only finding out when they first made their 90 day report on day 94 and had to pay 2000 baht overstay.

Gottfrid would first call these folk who make such innocent, innocuous and harmless mistakes scum and insist that they are arrested.

When people have such outspoken hardline attitudes is usually a giveaway as to who the scum really is.

Pure BS. Misunderstandings does not exist. The case you describe, is based on laziness to not find out what needs to be done for stay without problem in a foreign country. I call that stupidity. My opinion stands. If you can´t find out how to take care of, and take care of, your permission to stay in a country, you should be arrested and deported.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Pure BS. Misunderstandings does not exist. The case you describe, is based on laziness to not find out what needs to be done for stay without problem in a foreign country. I call that stupidity. My opinion stands. If you can´t find out how to take care of, and take care of, your permission to stay in a country, you should be arrested and deported.

:huh:Well with your statements, if I were an Immigration officer I would send you out first. Judgment without knowing the background for the overstay should not be used by someone with the nickname "God - peace".

Felt

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Felt 35 said:

:huh:Well with your statements, if I were an Immigration officer I would send you out first. Judgment without knowing the background for the overstay should not be used by someone with the nickname "God - peace".

Felt

Then you would be committing an act that would send you to an inactive post, as my permission to stay is in perfect condition.

17 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Whatever happened to following the rules as you agreed to in the first place... asking for those of you who think that this is a travesty on the arrested man

First you need to get the IO's to follow the rules.   

On 9/4/2023 at 4:52 AM, ukrules said:

My bet is on the check-in staff, who, maybe(!), are told to check the visa status, and, perhaps(!), are even offered a reward, so that they can catch the overstayers before they get to passport control. Again, this is my guess, as, conveniently, this happened in the departure hall...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1