US English teacher arrested for sexual relation with 16 y/o student

webfact

4 hours ago, ricklev said:

You may wonder, if the age of consent is 15 and she is 16 and consented how could he have committed a crime?  The answer, as I understand it, is that there was literally no crime, UNTIL, the parents of the girl filed a complaint with the police.  

Exactly. Was the girl taken from her parents, as the charge implies? Was anyone harmed in the relationship? It isn't a police matter, but might be a disciplinary case for the school to handle.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

For those of you who cannot get a handle on Google...

What is the Thailand Age of Consent?

The Age of Consent in Thailand is 15 years old. The age of consent is the minimum age at which an individual is considered legally old enough to consent to participation in sexual activity. Individuals aged 14 or younger in Thailand are not legally able to consent to sexual activity, and such activity may result in prosecution for statutory rape or the equivalent local law.

Thailand statutory rape law is violated when an individual has consensual sexual intercourse with a person under age 15. However, sex with a minor under age 18 is a compoundable offense, regardless of consent.

Thailand does not have a close-in-age exemption. Close in age exemptions, commonly known as "Romeo and Juliet laws" in the United States, are put in place to prevent the prosecution of individuals who engage in consensual sexual activity when both participants are significantly close in age to each other, and one or both partners are below the age of consent.

Because there is no close-in-age exemption in Thailand, it is possible for two individuals both under the age of 15 who willingly engage in intercourse to both be prosecuted for statutory rape, although this is rare. Similarly, no protections are reserved for sexual relations in which one participant is a 14 year old and the second is a 15 or 16 year old.

Perhaps you need to look more deeply into laws before you Google and check the first result.

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

For those of you who cannot get a handle on Google...

What is the Thailand Age of Consent?

The Age of Consent in Thailand is 15 years old. The age of consent is the minimum age at which an individual is considered legally old enough to consent to participation in sexual activity. Individuals aged 14 or younger in Thailand are not legally able to consent to sexual activity, and such activity may result in prosecution for statutory rape or the equivalent local law.

Thailand statutory rape law is violated when an individual has consensual sexual intercourse with a person under age 15. However, sex with a minor under age 18 is a compoundable offense, regardless of consent.

Thailand does not have a close-in-age exemption. Close in age exemptions, commonly known as "Romeo and Juliet laws" in the United States, are put in place to prevent the prosecution of individuals who engage in consensual sexual activity when both participants are significantly close in age to each other, and one or both partners are below the age of consent.

Because there is no close-in-age exemption in Thailand, it is possible for two individuals both under the age of 15 who willingly engage in intercourse to both be prosecuted for statutory rape, although this is rare. Similarly, no protections are reserved for sexual relations in which one participant is a 14 year old and the second is a 15 or 16 year old.

Clear as mud

• Haha 1

I certainly don't condone adults having sex with any girl under 18. I think that's a good general rule to go by. However I've been here 11 years and am yet to see any clear information on what the actual age is.

I've heard 15, 16 and 18.

People are often also bound by the laws of there home country regardless. For example the Australian passport ships with a leaflet explaining you can't have sex with anyone under 16, regardless of the countries laws.

Although it's common sense for most people, I do think Thailand could make it much clearer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The question is how old is the teacher.. On the picture he doesn't seems so old, so it could be a normal situation, although it is not good to have a relation with a student. But look at president Macron of France .. he married his teacher

Normal? Does he look 16 to you. I question your suitability to be outside a prison wall. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The question is how old is the teacher.. On the picture he doesn't seems so old, so it could be a normal situation, although it is not good to have a relation with a student. But look at president Macron of France .. he married his teacher

A relationship between an adult and a 16 year old is never ok. Especially when it is a teacher. 

• Thanks 1

I worked with a teacher in the 90s who was given 25 years for sexual relations with a 15 year old boy. I was repulsed with that case but this case seems harsh to me, maybe due to the ages of the men, 60 and whatever this guys age is. Maybe as in my country we can get married at 16.  Only 1 year difference, neither were paedophiles yet in jail they would be treated as such. 

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

The first thing I got warned about and I was 50 to be careful.  Three weeks in I am in my class doing work and had a young girl start giving ya neck massage as if it is normal.

I was a teacher here for 25 years and this kind of thing, or worse, happened quite often, usually girls around M2/3, which is 13/14 years old. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just happy my Thai Wife and I met in later life. With a 26 year age difference, that would have been a problem for many earlier years. Having seen her earlier photos, I have no doubt I would have been attracted to her. As a retired educator, having taught 6 years at the Junior high/middle school level and another 6 years at the high school level … automatic “danger Will Rodgers”. No question that their hormones were raging … males with testosterone poisoning want to challenge you … the girls practicing feminine flirting. Yikes! Some times … but YO! NO!!!

Edited by wwest5829
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

It says he was wanted for  "taking a minor who is over 15 years old but not exceeding 18 years old away from their parents, guardian, or caretaker without reasonable cause, willingly and intentionally."

The article head line maybe wrong.  Why he was arrested may not be for statutory rape  YET.. The age of consent in Thailand is 15. HOWEVER, he is an authority as a teacher and the age of consent in that case is 18.

ALSO! the age of consent is 18 in the USA and I have heard the USA may have some policy in place with many countries to allow the arrest of US citizens who travel for sex with under age women.

Before the discussion ensues I think it would be prudent to figure out just what is going on. This article has some contradictory information.  

Not that it's particularly relevant, but the age of consent in the US is set by the states, on a state-by state basis. In some states, it's 16. Some states have laws relating to the difference in ages when one of the parties is under 18. Some don't. 

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

You really had to made out of stone to resist some young attractive things throwing themselves at you, i know i too, would have problems with it, against the law or not, pity though that his life now are ruined.

No 16yo has ever approached me. Your posting is concerning.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1