Do you believe in Ghosts?

bob smith

Sometimes, you cannot blame people for believing in the paranormal world. Level of education etc is immaterial where these are involved.

Ghosts, Fortune tellers, religions... they all fall in to this category. So... which is the better in attracting fortunes?

26 minutes ago, bob smith said:

he told me that he did indeed and not only that but he also went to fortune tellers on a regular basis.

one of my little tricks when deciding to invest in someone is I like to get them drunk and then ask silly little questions.

My wife used to ask guys if they believed in astrology.

She figured that if any guy was so humorless as to start lecturing her about it, she knew it was a bad fit and to exit the date immediately. Me? I dodged the bullet: "I have a lot of appreciation for the art of astrology".

Putting aside this wholly made up Issan version of Shark Tank, what are the ways you suss people out? 

40 minutes ago, bob smith said:

This guy is apparently well educated. He holds a masters degree from a reputable university and has been working in a very demanding field for years, yet he lets his life and actions be dictated by fortune tellers and spirits

Thinking about this.... To be honest there's probably actually more justification for someone who's doing well in life to believe that spirits exist. Their constant praying and pandering to these spirits appears to have worked for them.

What I find difficult to understand is when you meet an unfortunate lady in her 50s who's been working the bar her whole life, has three children by three different absent fathers, has no money to her name and very littlw prospect of things ever improving.... And she still hasn't worked out that all these rituals don't seem to have helped her.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bob smith said:

This is one of the many reasons that I am relocating next year.

There is no such thing as logic in this country.

I wouldn't personally run away from Thailand in the hope that you'll find logical and rational people where you end up.

All around the world people will look to "the unknown" in order to explain things they don't understand.

It's certainly more noticeable here in Asia... People just don't talk about it as much in the west.

1 minute ago, Myran said:

Are you being paid to make up these stories or something? What's the point? 

I don't know if this particular story was made up or not. The pointless gloat about having money ready to invest aside, the actual topic in hand is one we all have to deal with on a daily basis and warrents discussion. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Behind our house are the rice fields.  A couple of years ago at harvesting time the chap on a harvester blew a loud blast on his siren , I asked the wife why and she said it wakes the ghosts up.

Ghosts dont exit though.

Have you ever seen one? Has a Thai actually seen one?

unless they have paranormal detection eyes I kinda doubt it!

47 minutes ago, Shop mak said:

All about control.

If you ask me, 'control' is something that many western country adults don't have over their adolescent children. In fact many of those adults have no idea where their children are going or what they are doing.

Some control would be a good thing, IMO.

Just because a person may believe in ghosts and routinely has their future be told doesn't mean they are not business savvy. As far as anyone knows they don't allow those things to interfere with their business dealings, whether that's a 7-11 clerk, university professor, or a senior manager at a high tech firm. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

I thought this thread was about Ghost? Many years ago I was a night porter at a well known Hotel on lake Widermere called " The Old England " In Bowness - on - Windermere. One of my duties was to look at the reports on the day about Guests ie are they awkward demanding etc. One day 2 guests checked out around 4 pm because they claim they saw a Ghost in there room. I did a security sweep walkaround every 3 hours. When i got to there room itwas very unnerving and i was not going into the now vacant room. On another occasion the Hotel was closed for Refurb and no guest were in the hotel but staff were in there accomadation so I Still had to do my rounds. One night i was climbing a flight of stairs and i felt someone pass me on the stairs it even blew in my face and was enough to move my hair that was it for me no more night portering and i went on days. If anyone books a stay in this hotel th resturant is named the Sir Henry Seagrave lounge. This  is a Water speed record holder on water but he was killed attemping the water speed record attempt on Windermere in the early 20's. I believe it is him Walking the hotel corridors.

so........I've been inside The Stanley Hotel (Estes Park, CO) without seeing anything odd occur but yet Jack Nicolson lost his sanity there.  REDRUM

28 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Behind our house are the rice fields.  A couple of years ago at harvesting time the chap on a harvester blew a loud blast on his siren , I asked the wife why and she said it wakes the ghosts up.

That's her polite way of saying "How the phuck would I know why he blew the siren you stupid Farang Buffalo"

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

I thought this thread was about Ghost? Many years ago I was a night porter at a well known Hotel on lake Widermere called " The Old England " In Bowness - on - Windermere. One of my duties was to look at the reports on the day about Guests ie are they awkward demanding etc. One day 2 guests checked out around 4 pm because they claim they saw a Ghost in there room. I did a security sweep walkaround every 3 hours. When i got to there room itwas very unnerving and i was not going into the now vacant room. On another occasion the Hotel was closed for Refurb and no guest were in the hotel but staff were in there accomadation so I Still had to do my rounds. One night i was climbing a flight of stairs and i felt someone pass me on the stairs it even blew in my face and was enough to move my hair that was it for me no more night portering and i went on days. If anyone books a stay in this hotel th resturant is named the Sir Henry Seagrave lounge. This  is a Water speed record holder on water but he was killed attemping the water speed record attempt on Windermere in the early 20's. I believe it is him Walking the hotel corridors.

'The One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge was an offer by the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF) to pay out one million U.S. dollars to anyone who could demonstrate a supernatural or paranormal ability under agreed-upon scientific testing criteria. A version of the challenge was first issued in 1964. Over a thousand people applied to take it, but none were successful. The challenge was terminated in 2015.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Million_Dollar_Paranormal_Challenge

I think having over 50 years to 'prove' ghosts and there not being one single, verifiable instance of ghosts or indeed ANY proven paranormal activity pretty much proves that ghosts don't exist.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, stoner said:

tell him to have his fortune teller send over next weeks numbers. invest in that make out like a bandit and bob's your uncle. 

its fred whos my uncle actually.

at the ripe old age of 93 he can still kick a brick!