Pheu Thai Govt To Be Slammed If ‘Inmate’ Thaksin Allowed Out Of Jail For Long: Academic

webfact

7 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Does anyone REALLY think they care???

That is the problem with the Smartphone and Tiktok generation. In the nineties we had a million people marching in BANGKOK, protesting the illegitimate Suchinda regime. Seems impossible with a generation glued to their devices. It's not just Thailand, all over the world the people get screwed, while scrolling to the next mindless distraction.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

December 5th , mark it in your calendar, the day Thaksin gets to walk.

I would think the present King would be aware that if he pardoned Thaksin on his revered father's birthday, perhaps quite a few people would be slightly upset?

There are many opportunities before that, namely Sep. 24, Oct. 13, Oct. 23, I believe?

8 hours ago, PeachCH said:

Who cares what this lecturer has to say. Again, welcome back Khun Thaksin! 

It is pure empty conjecture. Faeces in the mixer so to speak.

Quote: '' ... might possibly be allowed to literally keep himself outside of Bangkok Remand Prison after he has recovered from “illnesses”. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

THE CONFIDENCE of the Pheu Thai-led government under Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin will be adversely affected if de facto party boss Thaksin Shinawatra continues to literally keep himself as a convicted inmate out of jail for longer than appropriate, according to a noted academic.

Thammasat University law lecturer Prinya Thaewanarumitkul has posted on his Facebook page to say the Pheu Thai-led government will almost certainly be taken to task by members of society for allegedly applying double standards in favour of the former prime minister who might possibly be allowed to literally keep himself outside of Bangkok Remand Prison after he has recovered from “illnesses” at Police Hospital or any other hospital.

Prinya commented that the Srettha government’s integrity and stability will be more or less affected if the de facto Pheu Thai boss manages to literally keep himself out of jail, given a contentious excuse of “illnesses” such as a cardiac disease.

In the mid-morning of Aug.22, Thaksin was  brought from Don Mueang airport to the Supreme Court and then to Bangkok Remand Prison where he stayed barely a half day before he was transferred in the middle of the night to Police Hospital where he has been admitted for “illnesses” since.

By Thai Newsroom Reporters

Pheu Thai de facto boss Thaksin Shinawatra upon his arrival at Don Mueang Airport on Aug. 22, 2023. Photo: Sanook.com

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/09/05/pheu-thai-govt-to-be-slammed-if-inmate-thaksin-allowed-out-of-jail-for-long-academic/

-- THAI NEWSROOM 2023-09-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

doubt it - as most people supported thaksin and regarded the charges as largely politically motivated, it will be seen as a sign of reconciliation.

those who fear Thaksin may be worried.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

THE CONFIDENCE of the Pheu Thai-led government under Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin will be adversely affected if de facto party boss Thaksin Shinawatra continues to literally keep himself as a convicted inmate out of jail for longer than appropriate, according to a noted academic.

Thammasat University law lecturer Prinya Thaewanarumitkul has posted on his Facebook page to say the Pheu Thai-led government will almost certainly be taken to task by members of society for allegedly applying double standards in favour of the former prime minister who might possibly be allowed to literally keep himself outside of Bangkok Remand Prison after he has recovered from “illnesses” at Police Hospital or any other hospital.

Prinya commented that the Srettha government’s integrity and stability will be more or less affected if the de facto Pheu Thai boss manages to literally keep himself out of jail, given a contentious excuse of “illnesses” such as a cardiac disease.

In the mid-morning of Aug.22, Thaksin was  brought from Don Mueang airport to the Supreme Court and then to Bangkok Remand Prison where he stayed barely a half day before he was transferred in the middle of the night to Police Hospital where he has been admitted for “illnesses” since.

By Thai Newsroom Reporters

Pheu Thai de facto boss Thaksin Shinawatra upon his arrival at Don Mueang Airport on Aug. 22, 2023. Photo: Sanook.com

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/09/05/pheu-thai-govt-to-be-slammed-if-inmate-thaksin-allowed-out-of-jail-for-long-academic/

-- THAI NEWSROOM 2023-09-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I wonder if, with all his legal knowledge, he has noticed who signed off on the pardon/amnesty for Thaksin?

A hint might be, that who it was is the MOST powerful person in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GarryP said:
9 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

So how long do you think it’ll take him to recover at the hospital? TIT

Four months is the norm for improvised heart disease, which coincidentally corresponds with when he will be able to walk out of the hospital as a free man. 

The Corrections Department now have the prerogative to exercise the Royal Pardon whenever they see fit. He'll be home for Christmas with his grandchildren.

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I always seem to agree with your posts, and I do not doubt what both you and OneMoreFarang say about Thaksin, but my mind goes back to when I first came to live in Thailand in the later stages of his Premiership.

I compare Thailand with what it was like then and the way it is now. All my farang friends back then were happy, with most of them doing a 90 day borders hop and the odd one or two with the 800,000 Bt in their bank.

Now, as I do not agree with that method, I have agents fee's and 90 day reporting to do which was not the case under Thaksin.

there were two scenarios back then, people over 50 who had 800k in the bank or not, one used an agent and one didn't then you had single people under 50 who had to leave the country every 90 days referred to as border runs - for a few years I was the latter because I was under 50

• Thumbs Up 1

PT are a finished force when the next GE comes along which hopefully will be sooner rather than later the only worrying thing is that the fugitive will be in control and will be dictating to the current PM who let’s face it is the fugitives stooge they will come to an agreement with the military to keep the unelected senators to try a protect there foothold in government it will then be down to the people to come out in the millions and vote for MFP otherwise nothing will change 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, smedly said:

that ship has sailed, you are now in bed with sworn enemies - call an election tomorrow and see how the thai people respond, you have no right to be in government since you broke pretty much all of you election pledges, in fact that could be challenged in court if the judges weren't corrupt,  not so pretty political landscape - no surprise is it

The thai people responded. 

Choosing who they wanted and have already been overruled. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, peterrabbit said:

This debacle proves that the Red and Yellow shirt Party squabbles are akin to the pot calling the kettle black.

They are both black!

For the people of Thailand, who wish for true democratic representation, there is only one option:-

MOVE FORWARD.

The "squabbles" have ended up with dozens of deaths and a non-democratic system im[posed by a military government.

"move forward" is a cliche used by politicians who don't know what they are doing.

The newly appointed PM and his goernment are going to have to "move forward" quickly to change th constitution and estableish a truly re[presentative form og government followed by elections.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Is Thaksin dying soon?

Does he have some ailment which will end this man's life relatively quickly so he can't be a future political threat?

I can't understand any other reason why he was allowed back to the LoS.  

This explains his immediate hospital stay and exam, so that the generals can verify this before completing whatever secret agreement they had to let him return.

I guess Thaksin wants to die and be buried in Thailand.

I must confess it had crossed my mind.

I can understand that, knowing he may not have long, he wishes to be home.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Stop with the coup rubbish.

You think with coalition government and MF as the main opposition party will any work get done? , it will be non-stop arguments /horse trading, what will that do to the economy, and then one morning we will wake up find a new government they excuse will be, for a more stable government, and a certain person will do a runner down to Cambodia, like his sister.

Maybe the above is BS, maybe, but where else dose a party win an election and does not get to govern the country.

7 hours ago, kwilco said:

doubt it - as most people supported thaksin and regarded the charges as largely politically motivated, it will be seen as a sign of reconciliation.

Many of the uneducated rice farmers in Isan might support Thaksin, the educated middle class in Bangkok despises him. In this regard, the 2 Ts (the orange one in the US and the square-faced one in LOS) are the same:the higher your IQ and your education the less likely you are to support them. This is not to say that the working class in both countries do not have legit grievances, they certainly do, but they are betting on the wrong horse to genuinely and long-term address them .Hitler initially got the masses out of the misery of the Great Depression.Fascists everywhere do not really care about the people, but they know how to manipulate them. They are master manipulators.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, thecyclist said:
8 hours ago, kwilco said:

Many of the uneducated rice farmers in Isan might support Thaksin, the educated middle class in Bangkok despises him. In this regard, the 2 Ts (the orange one in the US and the square-faced one in LOS) are the same:the higher your IQ and your education the less likely you are to support them. This is not to say that the working class in both countries do not have legit grievances, they certainly do, but they are betting on the wrong horse to genuinely and long-term address them .Hitler initially got the masses out of the misery of the Great Depression.Fascists everywhere do not really care about the people, but they know how to manipulate them. They are master manipulators.

Listen to you – just a load of prejudices and clichés! You clearly no nothing about Chiang Mai and the North - completely overlook the fact that almost all universities DON’T support the yellow shirts. Anyone with an education dislikes the yellow-shirts and what they stand for – books about them have been banned – it’s pretty clear you haven’t read a thing on Thai history.

The only people who support the yellow-shirts re the Thai establishment who want to keep hold of both power and wealth – of course suckers who think like to you just make it so much easier for them.

BTW I used to work for a yellow-shirt leader and a less “educated” more ruthless person you’d be hard put to find.

Sure Thaksin is a populist but so are most other politicians – he didn’t seize power with the brrel of a gun, he didn’t massacre students and he didn’t disenfranchise half the population

• Like 2

1 hour ago, khaowong1 said:

I"ve been talking to some Thai people, now they are saying that it is up to the King.  They have lost complete faith in the Govt. so now they are looking to the King to restore normalcy.  

Who do they think signed the pardon for Thaksin?

I must get a keyboard that types what I want and not what it wants.

Edited by billd766
corrected some bad spelling

17 hours ago, smedly said:

that ship has sailed, you are now in bed with sworn enemies - call an election tomorrow and see how the thai people respond, you have no right to be in government since you broke pretty much all of you election pledges, in fact that could be challenged in court if the judges weren't corrupt,  not so pretty political landscape - no surprise is it

I agree, the ship has sailed and many will be rejoicing that he's returned. Some one else will gain popularity, eventually, at a guess, Yingluck will be next in line for a pardon, just let the smoke settle first 

• Like 2