Impunity for the rich and powerful undermines Thailand’s democracy

webfact

4 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Impunity for the rich is the very reason why the rich have supported the suppression of democracy in Thailand.

The fact that it is now being so frequently called out is proof of progress…, Thailand continues to move forward.

..."Impunity for the rich is the very reason why the rich have supported the suppression of democracy in Thailand".... Absolute BS.!! The rich and powerful don't care what kind of government rules, They make sure that they have the right connections with any kind of Government !!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Whatever happened to the cop who used plastic bags and killed the kid in the police station? You know the guy they had millions of dollars with the cars in his garage what ever happened with him TIT

The challenge around the world is that the media does not investigate or follow up.

We all see the headlines but do we ever see any follow up

Used to be that reporters would get a good story and follow up.  Now unless it is Trump the media doesn't care 

Here it is the sensation headlines but we never hear what happened after.  Look at all these so called sexual abuses.  We see the headlines but do we know what the outcomes were

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The rich and powerful get away with lots of things all over the world. They can afford expensive lawyers and tax consultants and all that. And they can make donations to the right people and organizations, etc.

It's not just Thailand.

Do I like it? No. But that is reality. And often the rich and powerful can do what they do within the laws.

It is real life - if we like it or not.

Yes, and we farang will never have a say into this anyway... 

43 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

Yes, and we farang will never have a say into this anyway... 

Really?

It seems there are lots of rich farang criminals in Thailand. Sometimes we read about them in the news. Sometimes they are smart enough to stay under the radar.

Not much new here.  More or less this way all over the world.  I'm trying to put myself into the place of the elite and understand the stress that they must experience.  I mean:  What is the point of owning everything and everyone, especially in the government, and someone comes along and tells you that you can't do that?  What was the purpose of all the trouble I, and my ancestors, went to and all that money we have invested over the years?  Try to have some compassion and see it from their point of view.   It's gotta be tough.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Filed his taxes late and did coke before he bought a gun.

That's all you got?

????????????????????????????????????

You're in a cult, Bubba. 

You've been brainwashed by an Australian Bogan.

Report: Jared Kushner’s $2 Billion Saudi Check Appears Even More Comically Corrupt Than Previously Thought

The reason this smells so bad is that there is all sorts of evidence he did not receive this on the merits.”

For a gun while on coke. A federal offense in the usa

• Haha 2

Ya, after this sham of an election and what may come of it and having a now 5yr old, we have decided to move to another country next June and sit out a couple of years before making the decision to move back.  We did this before with our much older kids back in 2006.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, stoner said:

democracy....is that what they're calling it ? 

good one. 

There are many English words that Thais do not understand. Mansions that are blocks of one-room apartments. Small-time crooks who are called Mafia. Resorts that in reality are short time rooms along major roads. And, something I've recently discovered at a number of hotels, suites that are simply rooms. One manager told me that suites is just a word, not a description. Saying things as they are is not favoured by Thais.

9 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Whatever happened to the cop who used plastic bags and killed the kid in the police station? You know the guy they had millions of dollars with the cars in his garage what ever happened with him TIT

Last i read he got 20 years in the slammer !

On 9/7/2023 at 10:11 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

The rich and powerful get away with lots of things all over the world. They can afford expensive lawyers and tax consultants and all that. And they can make donations to the right people and organizations, etc.

It's not just Thailand.

Do I like it? No. But that is reality. And often the rich and powerful can do what they do within the laws.

It is real life - if we like it or not.

Very true , in USA & UK where I witnessed such abuse of power

On 9/7/2023 at 6:59 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

It seems there are lots of rich farang criminals in Thailand. Sometimes we read about them in the news. Sometimes they are smart enough to stay under the radar.

True, there are a lot of them. Even movies have been made showing their lifestyle in the Kingdom. In the movies they always have an affinity with the police... 

How very true:

Thaksin may be released on October 13th - Thai Examiner Reports say former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra may be released from prison in the coming weeks possibly as early as October 13th.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2023/09/08/thaksin-may-be-released-on-october-13th/

• Haha 1