Who lives in a studio ?

georgegeorgia

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I always had big houses and big gardens back in the UK.

But the sad reality is I'm just too old to bother with the upkeep these days.

Condo with swimming pool and nice gardens would be fine for me now.

Yea, the houses in Udon Thani 1 had, worm my butt out, 1 rai, then 2 rai, as if I didn't learn my lesson with the 1st one.  Good exercise, but after 15 yrs, enough already.   

We'd go O&A during rainy season for couple weeks, and come home to jungle, and would take a week to catch up cutting the grass & trimming again.  

So this house 100 tw and most of that is house & carport.  She has the garden & green house, but also only 100 tw.  And I get 'free' figs ????????

Condos for me, way too expensive per m², but if single and wanting to own, little option, and beats renting IF, happy to live there 20 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

How is their (possible future) health your concern?

What a silly question. I make it my concern. Just like replying to a post. I have the choice to ignore it or reply. 
If I see someone fall down, I have the choice to help them or walk away. How is their falling down my concern? Humanity. 
… plus it’s stinky and pointless. 

8 hours ago, dddave said:

Yes. they allowed the small, I think 6.5kg tanks as long as they were stored and used on the balcony.  One tank would last 8 to 10 weeks, just me using it.

That surprises me a little, always thought it was not allowed, the big ones would be a chore to change that's for sure. 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That surprises me a little, always thought it was not allowed, the big ones would be a chore to change that's for sure. 

Actually, I think by law, gas bottles are not permitted in residential buildings.  Kind of like prostitution also not permitted.

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2023 at 11:10 AM, 1FinickyOne said:

a 1 bedroom is not a studio...

Then buy one w/a balcony - they are usually easy to spot... but 16 sq m. - you won't be able to get away from yourself... 

But it could look HUGE with mirrors on the walls!

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2023 at 5:53 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I think balconies, and also swimming pools, are overrated.

Everybody wants one. But then most people never use the balcony and never use the swimming pool. 

Why? I don't know. But it's reality. 

Would have to disagree with that entirely and its not often I do so in your direction lol

I would use a  swimming pool daily 24/7

If I had a balcony I would be eating breakfast on it daily likewise

Not everyone remotely wants to be sitting at bars at 10am

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Would have to disagree with that entirely and its not often I do so in your direction lol

I would use a  swimming pool daily 24/7

If I had a balcony I would be eating breakfast on it daily likewise

Not everyone remotely wants to be sitting at bars at 10am

I just looked out of my window. I see at least 1,000 balconies from here. Until now I didn't spot even one person on any of them.

Obviously, that doesn't mean nobody ever uses them, but the overall usage is very low. 

I also see right now a couple of swimming pools in condominiums nearby - and not a single person in any of them.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I just looked out of my window. I see at least 1,000 balconies from here. Until now I didn't spot even one person on any of them.

Obviously, that doesn't mean nobody ever uses them, but the overall usage is very low. 

I also see right now a couple of swimming pools in condominiums nearby - and not a single person in any of them.

Strange isn’t it?

I have the pool to myself most days/evenings. It’s almost like a private swimming pool to me. They do all this maintenance on the pool water and it’s so rarely used. I sit on the balcony a lot also. Again, nobody around.

I agree with your thoughts, however. Most people don’t use them ????????‍♂️, or it’s just empty units or low season. Could also be guys that are not into leisure but prefer to drink in bars or are too busy with prostitutes to enjoy themselves and the facilities. Not sure which it is. At any rate I’m happy with few people around so not complaining.

It was kind of that way also when I lived in central downtown Bangkok. Often I was the only one at the pool or on the balcony ????. People must just be busy doing other things.

Edited by JimTripper

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Utterly bizarre overall

Kinda explains though the general state of 95% of all farangs around Pattaya who dont exercise

Reminds me of Dean Wormer to Flounder in Animal House

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Strange isn’t it?

I have the pool to myself most days/evenings. It’s almost like a private swimming pool to me. They do all this maintenance on the pool water and it’s so rarely used. I sit on the balcony a lot also. Again, nobody around.

I agree with your thoughts, however. Most people don’t use them ????????‍♂️, or it’s just empty units or low season. Could also be guys that are not into leisure but prefer to drink in bars or are too busy with prostitutes to enjoy themselves and the facilities. Not sure which it is. At any rate I’m happy with few people around so not complaining.

It was kind of that way also when I lived in central downtown Bangkok. Often I was the only one at the pool or on the balcony ????. People must just be busy doing other things.

Part of is is definitely the heat.

When I grew up 25 degrees outside was summer, a hot day, great, let's go to the lake. And on a good day that lake had 20 degree water.

In Thailand, 25 degrees is a rare cool day, 30 degrees is normal, and 35 degrees is nothing special. Sitting in that temperature for more than a few minutes is too hot for many of us.

44 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Kinda explains though the general state of 95% of all farangs around Pattaya who dont exercise

In my case that observation is from the middle of Bangkok.

I am sure it nice to have a sea view and sea breeze in Pattaya, but I don't know how near one has to be to the water to get those conditions. 

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

When I grew up 25 degrees outside was summer, a hot day, great, let's go to the lake. And on a good day that lake had 20 degree water.

In Thailand, 25 degrees is a rare cool day, 30 degrees is normal, and 35 degrees is nothing special. Sitting in that temperature for more than a few minutes is too hot for many of us.

That's because you use too much air-con.

I've live mainly without aircon for 12+ years, and 25c or below is cold to me now.

30-35c is my comfortable resting temperature.

24c now and I'm feeling a little cold.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In my case that observation is from the middle of Bangkok.

I am sure it nice to have a sea view and sea breeze in Pattaya, but I don't know how near one has to be to the water to get those conditions. 

I'd say the sea breeze is essential and of course not with direct sun, so other times people avoid the balcony, plus most balconies are too small or have glass so prevents wind. Modern trend of glass is a bad idea, but cheaper presumably.

Now is the perfect time, sea breeze, sun gone down, about 25-26, Pattaya Pratumnak

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Disagree. I’m on the shady side of the building, heat is not an issue. Still nobody on the balconies day or evening. The pool is also open in the evening, nobody there. If somebody is in the gym it’s not for heavy lifting.

Are people afraid of being out in the sun without a/c??? ????

Reminds me of feelings I had when I first got to Pattaya, and still do sometimes. The city made me feel “weak”. Felt like everything was catered, or there was no challenge in anything. It’s one of the reasons I started working out so often.

Edited by JimTripper

11 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Reminds me of feelings I had when I first got to Pattaya, and still do sometimes. The city made me feel “weak”. Felt like everything was catered to, or there was no challenge in anything. It’s one of the reasons I started working out so often. I guess I could get those feelings in a seaside resort city area anywhere, but there’s just not enough challenge. I need some sort of danger or edge in the environment to be happy. I will be out of here when my lease expires.

Sorry my question is not really on topic for a studio but interested to know where are you planning on moving to find that edge you seek?

I recently left Pattaya because riding my motorcycle in Pattaya with all the traffic and construction was a bit too much edge for me.

Just now, biervoormij said:

Sorry my question is not really on topic for a studio but interested to know where are you planning on moving to find that edge you seek?

I recently left Pattaya because riding my motorcycle in Pattaya with all the traffic and construction was a bit too much edge for me.

I like Hanoi, Vietnam, but the visa is troublesome.

• Haha 1