Blue book to get a yellow book

I own a condominium and Pattaya and have the accompanying Blue book.

I'm just wanting to know if there is any other way to get a copy of my passport certified other than going to the Australian embassy? I have read that this is a requirement to get a yellow book.

Another question I have is can my Blue book be used in place of a residency certificate? For things like licence and purchasing a motorbike or car.

Thanks 

8 minutes ago, bbko said:

n Central Festival you can get translated paperwork officially stamped by the Thai government on the 4th floor, next to the passport office (2 day service).  Maybe have your passport translated by any Pattaya translation office (Soi Post o

I guess the question is if they will accept that certification...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sungod said:

Unless you are a permanent resident, I dont believe a foreigner can have their name in a Blue book, so I am sure the answer would be no.

Maybe I am misrepresenting a blue book. I'm talking about the thing you get when you buy a condominium.

Edited by 1

3 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Be aware that MFA may identify a mistake in the translation or not agree with the translation resulting in no verification letter. In this case you'll have to return to your translator and get a new corrected translation and re-submit to MFA. MFA will require payment for each and every submission, not sure about your translator. Note that the MFA office is in Bangkok, so you'll be making a second, or multiple trip(s) to Bangkok until the translation is verified by MFA. To avoid potential multiple trips to Bangkok, choosing a translator in or near the MFA building maybe a less risky choice.

I'm working on my wife's visa for her to live & work in the USA (green card), about a month ago when I needed to translate her birth certificate, we had it it done by a shop on Soi Post Office, then went to the Central Festival office and paid for the official stamp, there was a minor typo with the translation, the Central Festival government office circled what was wrong, we took it back to the Soi Post office shop and they fixed it free, then the government office stamped the translated birth certificate with no additional payment.  As with many things in Thailand, YMMV.

36 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

?

Can you explain that further please

Tax isn't charged (or a minimal amount) if you are owner occupier of a condo, Being in the yellow book proves you live in the condo.

Edited by Peterw42

53 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Tax isn't charged (or a minimal amount) if you are owner occupier of a condo, Being in the yellow book proves you live in the condo.

You are correct but it has nothing to do with having a yellow book

https://www.konradlegal.com/2023/02/07/do-you-have-to-pay-property-tax-in-thailand-in-2023/#:~:text=Based on the type of,laws are applicable to all.

No mention of yellow book, you only pay property taxes on purchase, sale, and any profit you may make from the condo, ie rent

Owner occupier has paid the tax on purchase and as they are not renting out, they have zero tax liability

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yep, won't help those with houses or condos in Thai company name

I have a company owned house, and I am in the yellow book (wife in blue). Pattaya ampher accepts this as owner occupier. Probably depends on the local ampher.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have a company owned house, and I am in the yellow book (wife in blue). Pattaya ampher accepts this as owner occupier. Probably depends on the local ampher.

Interesting, surprised they allow it as it's in a company name. You don't pay the annual property tax?

On 9/9/2023 at 10:26 PM, Banana7 said:

The blue book can only have Thai residents' names. The yellow book can have only non-Thai resident names. These books are the house book and indicate who lives in the premise.

The yellow book is useful to stop paying property tax, and to obtain a pink ID card.

For a Pattaya city hall issued yellow book, in regards to certification of translation, basically it is a 2 step process. First you need to get an official translation of the document done by a translator who is certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). 2nd step is to present the original document plus the certified translation to MFA. MFA will verify the translation and provide a document saying they have verified. Of course, there is a fee for both steps.

Be aware that MFA may identify a mistake in the translation or not agree with the translation resulting in no verification letter. In this case you'll have to return to your translator and get a new corrected translation and re-submit to MFA. MFA will require payment for each and every submission, not sure about your translator. Note that the MFA office is in Bangkok, so you'll be making a second, or multiple trip(s) to Bangkok until the translation is verified by MFA. To avoid potential multiple trips to Bangkok, choosing a translator in or near the MFA building maybe a less risky choice.

All of the requirements are identified in the checklist that is available at City Hall.

Foreigners who have a lifetime Certificate of Residence (also called Permanent Residency - PR) are recorded in the dark blue covered Tabien Baan book. This is because the Certificate of Residence is permanent / for lifetime.

Note: PR is not a Visa, it's an official certificate stating that the foreigner has been granted lifetime permission to stay in Thailand. No further review is needed ever unless the holder gains a criminl record. 

Thai citizens are also recorded in the dark blue Tabien Baan book becaue their status is permanent as they have lifetime citizenship.

I got lifetime PR 27 years ago, my name is in the standard dark blue cover Tabien Baan book.  (But beware of the confusion with another document with the same name 'Certificate of Residence' which is a simple letter to state your address.)

The Yellow covered Tabien Baan book is used to record foreigners who have long-term visas which have an expiry date. The foreigner can usually do a complete re-application for the long-term visa, however renewal is not guaranteed, especially where there's been changes to the regulations attached to the long-term visa. Renewal of the Visa is not automatic .  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Interesting, surprised they allow it as it's in a company name. You don't pay the annual property tax?

Its a minimal amount, 100  baht, The same as occupying a condo with normal ownership.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Foreigners who have a lifetime Certificate of Residence (also called Permanent Residency - PR) are recorded in the dark blue covered Tabien Baan book. This is because the Certificate of Residence is permanent / for lifetime.

Note: PR is not a Visa, it's an official certificate stating that the foreigner has been granted lifetime permission to stay in Thailand. No further review is needed ever unless the holder gains a criminl record. 

Thai citizens are also recorded in the dark blue Tabien Baan book becaue their status is permanent as they have lifetime citizenship.

I got lifetime PR 27 years ago, my name is in the standard dark blue cover Tabien Baan book.  (But beware of the confusion with another document with the same name 'Certificate of Residence' which is a simple letter to state your address.)

The Yellow covered Tabien Baan book is used to record foreigners who have long-term visas which have an expiry date. The foreigner can usually do a complete re-application for the long-term visa, however renewal is not guaranteed, especially where there's been changes to the regulations attached to the long-term visa. Renewal of the Visa is not automatic .  

I have had PR for over 33 years, and due to many visits to neighbouring Cambodia, when on each occasion my PR book was stamped in and out it became full some years ago and required replacement.  Not something that could be done locally, but needed a visit to Immi HQ in Bangkok.  I was told it would take 4 days, and to return thereafter. No consideration of the fact I lived hundreds of kms from Bangkok. Upon return, my PR book was taken from the drawer it had earlier been deposited in, and clearly remained since my earlier visit. The next hour  was then utilised in preparing my new book.!  Immi Officer clearly not happy I paid the exact fee with no tip!

Do not overlook the need with PR that an Alien reg Book is also needed, provided by local  police and renewable at maximum 5 year intervals

On 9/9/2023 at 8:39 PM, sungod said:

Unless you are a permanent resident, I dont believe a foreigner can have their name in a Blue book, so I am sure the answer would be no.

My name is in my blue book. But i only saw a while ago, had the book 18 years. Maybe in the past it was ok to have.

On 9/10/2023 at 7:27 AM, bigt3116 said:

You are correct but it has nothing to do with having a yellow book

https://www.konradlegal.com/2023/02/07/do-you-have-to-pay-property-tax-in-thailand-in-2023/#:~:text=Based on the type of,laws are applicable to all.

No mention of yellow book, you only pay property taxes on purchase, sale, and any profit you may make from the condo, ie rent

Owner occupier has paid the tax on purchase and as they are not renting out, they have zero tax liability

Here on Samui we have had to pay property tax for each year,(you can ignore the annual bill but it will then be required to pay when you sell the property).

The bill for previous years was always just a few baht, however 2023's bill was over 3,000 baht. When I paid at the land office, I queried it and was told that to benefit from the lower rates I would now have to change the blue book for my villa to a yellow book. Everyone else I have spoken to locally is in the same boat.

3 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I have had PR for over 33 years, and due to many visits to neighbouring Cambodia, when on each occasion my PR book was stamped in and out it became full some years ago and required replacement.  Not something that could be done locally, but needed a visit to Immi HQ in Bangkok.  I was told it would take 4 days, and to return thereafter. No consideration of the fact I lived hundreds of kms from Bangkok. Upon return, my PR book was taken from the drawer it had earlier been deposited in, and clearly remained since my earlier visit. The next hour  was then utilised in preparing my new book.!  Immi Officer clearly not happy I paid the exact fee with no tip!

Do not overlook the need with PR that an Alien reg Book is also needed, provided by local  police and renewable at maximum 5 year intervals

Quote from above:

Ialso went to CW to get a replacement of my full PR book. I'm 79 yo coming soon and in a wheelchair.

I arrived at the PR book replacement desks at 11:15 am and was told (in good English) by the abrupt lady officer "You have been here before and you know to come early so that you don't disrupt the lunch time of the Immigration officers, come back after lunch."

I waited, the officers came back at 2:30 pm, they took my full PR book and said 'come back in 4 days'. I mentioned  (in Thai and in English) 'I need to fly back to Chiang Mai.' I was totally ignored.

I returned, he officer put the giant ledger on the desk for me to sign, I couldn't reach the spot to sign so I asked if she could please bring the ledger to my lap.

'No', so I had to slowly, in painful steps, move my body in my wheelchair to get closer to the book.

On 9/9/2023 at 6:27 PM, 1 said:

I own a condominium and Pattaya and have the accompanying Blue book.

I'm just wanting to know if there is any other way to get a copy of my passport certified other than going to the Australian embassy? I have read that this is a requirement to get a yellow book.

Another question I have is can my Blue book be used in place of a residency certificate? For things like licence and purchasing a motorbike or car.

Thanks 

You don't need your passport certified to get a yellow book  

24 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Quote from above:

Ialso went to CW to get a replacement of my full PR book. I'm 79 yo coming soon and in a wheelchair.

I arrived at the PR book replacement desks at 11:15 am and was told (in good English) by the abrupt lady officer "You have been here before and you know to come early so that you don't disrupt the lunch time of the Immigration officers, come back after lunch."

I waited, the officers came back at 2:30 pm, they took my full PR book and said 'come back in 4 days'. I mentioned  (in Thai and in English) 'I need to fly back to Chiang Mai.' I was totally ignored.

I returned, he officer put the giant ledger on the desk for me to sign, I couldn't reach the spot to sign so I asked if she could please bring the ledger to my lap.

'No', so I had to slowly, in painful steps, move my body in my wheelchair to get closer to the book.

Sounds like a fun day out....

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Requirement no.3 Passport translated to Thai. Requirements change depending on location

You Ban office has no idea what they are doing. Under the law you do not need a translation and a certified copy of your passport for God's sake they have a stamp from their own immigration of the country of Thailand in your passport already so why would you need a certified copy of your own passport when you already have a stamp from the officials of Thailand in your passport!