The state of your average expat in Thailand.

bob smith

20 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I have a friend here, from the states, who lived many years in Sweden before moving here and staying. He likes to go to bars to talk with other farangs, has a degree in business, two homes, one here and the other there, and isn't near a loser.

Really? How far apart are these bar stools?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, transam said:

????................Yep, definitely not in English.....................????

One thing that's for certain. You never know who you're talking to here unless you meet them. They can say they are an American male, mid 40's, strong , bodybuilder physique, former world class skier, business degree, living here with a WP, dated only Isaan farm girls, married one, have three UNI kids, all business degrees, large 200 Rai farm, 2 million baht house, when in reality they are female, Thai, dropped out of school at 12, mom and dad both in jail for yaba offenses, 230 pounds, divorced with two Thai kids, both in jail, husband left, lives with his mother, alcoholic, lives in 100 year old wood house with 25 cats and is pregnant again from a farang she met in Pattaya.

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

Is it just me or is the average expat that lives in Thailand a loser?

most of them seem to have severe mental problems,

alcoholism/drug abuse is rampant.

Now I am no angel. I like a drink and have been known to dabble in substances in the past

but these guys are on another level.

I feel quite uneasy when I chat to a fellow expat, especially in a bar setting.

They always have a story.

most of them come off as con men/wrong uns,

maybe its the places that I frequent, i dont know.

but Thailand is full of farang losers.

People who western women wouldnt look twice at but here they think they are james bond.

What a sorry state of affairs. 

Sounds like one ‘loser’ in a bar talking to another. How would any onlookers tell the difference?

You seem to have quite a few issues of your own. 
I avoid any places where I might meet the likes of you. 

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

One thing that's for certain. You never know who you're talking to here unless you meet them. They can say they are an American male, mid 40's, strong , bodybuilder physique, former world class skier, business degree, living here with a WP, dated only Isaan farm girls, married one, have three UNI kids, all business degrees, large 200 Rai farm, 2 million baht house, when in reality they are female, Thai, dropped out of school at 12, mom and dad both in jail for yaba offenses, 230 pounds, divorced with two Thai kids, both in jail, husband left, lives with his mother, alcoholic, lives in 100 year old wood house with 25 cats and is pregnant again from a farang she met in Pattaya.

I am sooooooo busted!

• Haha 1

Just now, fredwiggy said:

True, we had a Thai lady member here, she was actually an Australian bloke, some strange people out there, on here..........????

I reckon it's because Thailand is (relatively) cheap meaning an average working bloke can pull the birds and live like a rock star. Try living a similar life-style in a western country. You can't do it without being rich, famous, young and/or handsome.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I reckon it's because Thailand is (relatively) cheap meaning an average working bloke can pull the birds and live like a rock star. Try living a similar life-style in a western country. You can't do it without being rich, famous, young and/or handsome.

It’s not what you do, but the way that you do it… 

4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Australia is one of the best places to catch a big marlin, the Great Barrier Reef, and although I've had Australian wine, I prefer German, French, Spain and Italian wines, so that's where I will go in Europe, along with Auschwitz, The Scottish highlands, a few pubs in Ireland, sights in England, Italy and Soain.

Sean’s Bar in Athlone Iteland 

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Maybe it's different in more cosmopolitan settings, but upcountry the expat demographic seems to be getting poorer. A lot of guys dressed in flea market attire, getting around on motorbikes, not many McMansions have been built recently either. Currently appears to be something of a post-covid travel restriction influx of guys who have either returned after a long absence or are newly arrived economic refugees. Wives and hubbies seem to be a lot closer in age than what you might have seen 20 years ago too (guys in mid-to-late 50's, wife in mid-to-late 40's). Appears to be very little social interaction between foreigners where I live. Maybe they're all getting together secretly and just not telling me, but I don't think so. A lot of guys seem like they avoid contact with other foreigners like the plague, but they also seem to be rather anti-social and not very outgoing around Thais as well.

Yes I agree, it will have to do with the growing poverty in the Western world with less work more taxes and inflation.

1 minute ago, Irish star said:

Sean’s Bar in Athlone Iteland 

Is that Shine's Bar? That's what I saw looking at google maps. I'm 1/2 Irish, so want to visit to see sights. My niece, husband and my brother's wife just got back from seeing some of it. I waited a long time before I went anywhere, as i was raising kids back home in Texas. My Mom always wanted to go to Ireland, and her sister tried to talk her into it, but she never went, then died without getting to go. I promised myself that I would see at least 7 countries in Europe before I die, even if I have to walk much of it.

33 minutes ago, transam said:

So you do the bar stool thing to take notes, as good an excuse, I suppose...????

Not been in a bar for years and yet just yesterday I met two losers... how do I know they like bar stools ?

They told me which bars had the cheapest beers and girls... Losers.

I got up and sat at another concrete table and left them to it.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

1 hour ago, bignok said:

I think a lot of guys marry women with a 9th grade education. No wonder lots are not suited. 

She left school age 12, I sent her to high school, then I sent her to university. Now she's more educated than you are and almost as well educated as me.

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Shot gun wedding. Never marry in first 12 months. You should know better.

We were married after 2 weeks, 13 years later still married.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Living with a woman you don't find attractive and having separate bedrooms must be the ultimate definition of a loser. I was that loser in the UK, but in Thailand I'm a success.

Because you save money with a one-bedroom house.????

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Not been in a bar for years and yet just yesterday I met two losers... how do I know they like bar stools ?

Yeh, riiiight, of course you did..............:coffee1:

• Haha 2

Yes.  That's why I don't hang out at Farang Steakhouse or bars.  Too many dumb people.

Been watching a vlog by a dumb Brit covered with tattoos.  Also likes to wear a Nazi style helmet when he rides a motorcycle.  Complaining on his vlog about getting a ticket for wearing such a helmet but keeps on wearing it.  Goes back to England and gets busted at customs for two valium in his pocket with no prescription.

I don't think the UK is sending it's best and brightest, but I am sure he makes a good living mumbling and walking around. ????

Bob, 

You're basing your premise on the behavior of the "at risk" crowd....You won't find many decent people in that crowd/lifestyle....

There's expats everywhere living every normal lifestyle....

Personally, I don't know one bar goer....

However, I know many expats living a normal life, contributing to the wellbeing of their families + representing a goodwill smile, style, and footprints among their neighbors....Just quietly going about their lives.....In a place of their choosing (for the most part).....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Yes.  That's why I don't hang out at Farang Steakhouse or bars.  Too many dumb people.

Been watching a vlog by a dumb Brit covered with tattoos.  Also likes to wear a Nazi style helmet when he rides a motorcycle.  Complaining on his vlog about getting a ticket for wearing such a helmet but keeps on wearing it.  Goes back to England and gets busted at customs for two valium in his pocket with no prescription.

I don't think the UK is sending it's best and brightest, but I am sure he makes a good living mumbling and walking around. ????

Guudaaaaay! ????

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

I think you have mistaken UK for USA...............????

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

She left school age 12, I sent her to high school, then I sent her to university. Now she's more educated than you are and almost as well educated as me.

We were married after 2 weeks, 13 years later still married.

Sounds like bs

43 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

How do you meet them? I don’t meet anyone ☺️ 
In fact if anyone asks to sit with me, I just say no. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

Sounds like bs

Not bs.

She was sent to high school before she was sent to university.

If she had first been sent to university, then that would be bs.

Or...

ba

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

were married after 2 weeks, 13 years later still married.

You just said you paid for many years education. 99.999% of women with a 6th grade education would stay if some farang was paying all their fees

She leaves after 1 year you stop paying. Financial and educational blackmail

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, bob smith said:

maybe its the places that I frequent, i dont know.

Maybe it is. While I agree that many expats are eccentrics at best, and nut-cases at worst, I would not, from personal experience, agree that many are alcoholics or drug abusers. But then again, I don't often frequent pubs or bars...