Odd new protocol at Jomtien IO for Extension of stay

Did my extension of stay today in Jomtien. After a trip to the bank, my agent took me to Jomtien IO where he photographed me standing

in front of the sign at the building entrance. Is this another manifestation of the Big Joke era at RTP??   What possible function could this

serve?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Was the photo then part of the immigration submissions?

Could it be that your agent is proving to their employer that you were taking to immigration??

Nope, my landlady is my agent and this was her son that was doing the legwork.  I think she trusts him.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

This is not new as I have seen this numerous times at Jomtien over the last few years.

As I understand it you are required to attend immigration in person for an extension and this photo serves as proof you did attend. Even when I do my 30 day visa exempt extensions the IO takes a photo of me for the file

That’s bizarre. We didn’t talk to a single soul at IO. Just took a photo and left. All the other paperwork was done at the bank branch. Just another layer of useless bureaucracy.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Felton Jarvis said:

That’s bizarre. We didn’t talk to a single soul at IO. Just took a photo and left. All the other paperwork was done at the bank branch. Just another layer of useless bureaucracy.

I had to do the same when I used an agent for my one year Elite Visa extension. Had to go all the way to immigration just to take a photo in front of it and then went right back to my condo without stepping foot inside immigration.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Some folk would suggest that immigration offices would prefer you to use agents.

Also immigration can in a blink ask for something new.

Can make things difficult. 

Ten years of extensions based on retirement and out of the blue my most recent extension at CW they wanted my TM47.

Never required one previously.

Now I'm reading that at CW they want a TM30.

I've never done one..

In our immigration office we have always needed both of these

3 minutes ago, Caldera said:

If you were a public servant who is getting away with accepting "gifts" from agents, which type of applicant would you prefer? The one who is chaperoned by such a gift-bearing agent, or the one showing up alone?

Call it a travesty or call it Thai culture, it is what it is.

Never say never but for me the agency system will never change because they no that if they stopped it thousands upon thousands would have to leave Thailand and that would be lost revenue 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Some folk would suggest that immigration offices would prefer you to use agents.

Also immigration can in a blink ask for something new.

Can make things difficult. 

Ten years of extensions based on retirement and out of the blue my most recent extension at CW they wanted my TM47.

Never required one previously.

Now I'm reading that at CW they want a TM30.

I've never done one..

Only those I'll prepared encounter these problems.

3 hours ago, nickmondo said:

it is beyond me why anyone would use an agent for such an easy task.

did the agent feed you at lunch time also?

Simple…I do not have 800 thousand baht. The agent deposits that amount and then withdraws it. It's not an “easy” task if you lack the required funds.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, connda said:

Odd new protocol at Jomtien IO for Extension of stay.

Give it time.  Soon you'll be required to juggle a coconut, a banana, and a durian while hopping up-and-down on one foot and singing Chaat Thai in proper Bangkok Thai while the bank manager unicycles around you with a monkey on his shoulder holding a copy of today's newspaper  - all filmed in front of the sign on the front of the bank, of course 
:thumbsup:????????

555 You may not be far off there my friend.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Expat68 said:

Maybe someone on here could explain to me my question because it has baffled me for years.

Ever since living in Thailand I have done my extension of stay the "legitimate" way, over the years even though my paperwork as always been correct  I, and several of my friends have had no end of hassle, applying for our extension of stay. Why do people who go through the "non legitimate" never have any hassle?

because they are giving a bribe

53 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Why are you using an agent? 

because he is either lazy, or too important to go to immigration or has no 800,000thb

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1