Is it safe to leave a laptop for a while in a condominium common( study) room?

topswijaya

I apologize for all the snarky comments. Too many people wished they were stand up comics and, for lack of ANY talent, missed that boat and wound up on this forum.

There are many broke, desperate folks in the world (NOT just Thailand) who would jump on the opportunity to snatch a laptop. Even if you lock the software down, thieves can remove the hard drive, access all your files, then sell the hardware (drive, ram, etc.).

Take it with you, don't let it out of your sight. Chances are you have too much  sensitive info on that machine.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

It is not save as there is a risk somebody takes it.

How big is the risk? Can't tell as I don't know the condo management, the people who visit the place and the security.

"How about CCTV?" What you want to know, what condo are you talking about?

Do they have CCTV?

Will the CCTV work if they have it?

If it is there and it works, will the staff show it to you?

What if it is the staff that took it?

Why take the risk, in any such environment anywhere in the world?

17 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I've read some stupid questions on this site before but this one takes the biscuit.

Agree, nobody can answer this question, there's thieves, there's  dishonest and poor people and not poor but light fingered people in every country.

What other answer was the OP expecting? 

Edited by scorecard

19 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I've read some stupid questions on this site before but this one takes the biscuit.

Why is it so stupid? If there are cameras and you go for 1 minute its not that high risk. Specially if someone is there to watch it. Take a photo of them even.

Your response was stupid.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CecilM said:

Like asking is it safe to leave a handbag/ backpack in a car. No it is not. 
And you can’t trust that the security camera actually works. 

Ive never had items stolen from rooms in 20 years. Laptops and tablets could be stolen by cleaners.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bignok said:

Why is it so stupid? If there are cameras and you go for 1 minute its not that high risk. Specially if someone is there to watch it. Take a photo of them even.

How could anyone possible answer the question ?

How could anyone know whether a thief would walk by at the time ?

If they cannot find the red bull heir , what makes you think that they could find a thief and if they catch the thief, he would just get a 500 Baht fine and a Wai , some one might need a computer to find out how to cure their sick buffalo

6 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

How could anyone possible answer the question ?

How could anyone know whether a thief would walk by at the time ?

If they cannot find the red bull heir , what makes you think that they could find a thief and if they catch the thief, he would just get a 500 Baht fine and a Wai , some one might need a computer to find out how to cure their sick buffalo

If someone there i ask them to catch it. If nobody there i take it.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Op really it is never safe to leave anything unattended.

There is a risk no matter where you leave anything.  

Would you leave your phone on the table.

If it is new then it is tempting if it is ???? it goes up in value.

If iphone color it gone 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bignok said:

Whoop!...there it is.

Keeping in mind that at any one time in this enchanted kingdom, 73% of CCTV cameras are either misconfigured, disconnected or broken, 18% aren't being monitored or recorded and the remaining 9% aren't pointing in the right direction anyway, who's being stupid?

• Thanks 1

In Japan it would be 99.9% fine, everywhere else (I know of), why tempt someone?

Having said that a few times in Airports before boarding I have left my MBP unattended.

I sometimes ask someone near (or staff) "please watch that for me please, back soon". Sometimes I don't coz if stolen, will be seen when boarding etc so very safe once you are past immigration. 

Remember, if you need to steal a laptop you are not very smart, and not thinking about cameras, they are thinking of the Meth the can get for it. 

Edited by Datsun 1200

22 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Whoop!...there it is.

Keeping in mind that at any one time in this enchanted kingdom, 73% of CCTV cameras are either misconfigured, disconnected or broken, 18% aren't being monitored or recorded and the remaining 9% aren't pointing in the right direction anyway, who's being stupid?

You are. Ask someone to watch it.

• Haha 1