Whole wheat bread from Makro

SAFETY FIRST

17 hours ago, retarius said:

I am diabetic and hate the bread in Thailand. There are very few places one can get any decent bread and it is all laden with sugar. When I first came here a million years ago, for a short while I was able to get great German wholewheat bread. Delicious, heavy, filling bread with no sugar. Sadly the shop closed down and has never been replaced.

As a diabetic you should avoid all breads. 

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

It’s a very forgiving recipe and easy to adapt so it’s my basis for just about everything. Hope it works for you.

Thanks. I have been doing Ciabatta bread, which does not involve kneading, simply folding & stretching. Comes out very well. Same basic ratios of ingredients as yours, but adding wholemeal flour doesn't seem to work..

Edited by KannikaP

19 hours ago, save the frogs said:

whole wheat is not healthy for the body.

even without the added crap they put in that bread, whole wheat is not a health food.

now the OP will accuse me of harassing him. 

you are correct.  Back in the 50,s it was modified not to grow so high, because the natural wheat was growing too high, and breaking off before harvest.  So the Scientists invented the <deleted> that we have to eat today

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, retarius said:

I am diabetic and hate the bread in Thailand. There are very few places one can get any decent bread and it is all laden with sugar. When I first came here a million years ago, for a short while I was able to get great German wholewheat bread. Delicious, heavy, filling bread with no sugar. Sadly the shop closed down and has never been replaced.

There is some keto bread on lazada.  I have not tried it yet.  I have an order coming in a couple days.

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Thanks. I have been doing Ciabatta bread, which does not involve kneading, simply folding & stretching. Comes out very well. Same basic ratios of ingredients as yours, but adding wholemeal flour doesn't seem to work..

Thinking about it I don’t think I’ve ever seen wholemeal ciabatta. My guess is that because it’s difficult to stretch wholemeal , the grain breaks the gluten strands, it just won’t work.

I only tried ciabatta once and failed miserably but I should try again now that I’m more experienced.

5 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Thinking about it I don’t think I’ve ever seen wholemeal ciabatta. My guess is that because it’s difficult to stretch wholemeal , the grain breaks the gluten strands, it just won’t work.

I only tried ciabatta once and failed miserably but I should try again now that I’m more experienced.

Loads of (different) videos on You Tube.

21 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

ISo, I tried the whole wheat bread from Makro.

OMG, it's sweetened, I can taste the sugar.
These idiots, putting sugar in whole wheat/wholegrain bread, it really ticks me OFF.

Anyone else tasting the sweetened bread 

Yes indeed, and me being a diabetic, it would not be suitable even though wholemeal bread is part of my diabetic diet. Fortunately here in Siem Reap, my local MAKRO has an "onsite" bakery and it's wholewheat bread is non-sweetened to compete with many local private bakeries (a legacy from French colonial days). Sadly, the "onsite" bakery is producing far less local products which are being replaced by pre-packaged ones imported from Thailand. For example, that awful doughy Farmhouse bread is now appearing on our shelves at a higher price, replacing local bread. Is there a demise in MAKRO's "onsite" baking in Thailand?

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

1 hour ago, AustinRacing said:

As a diabetic you should avoid all breads. 

With respect, not strictly true. I am a type 2 diabetic and when I lived in the UK, my doctor advised me to eat wholemeal bread. For reference:-

"Contrary to popular belief, people with type 2 diabetes can, in fact, eat bread — the right kinds, in moderation. As a starting point..........................advises that breads made from whole grains like whole-wheat bread are fine in moderation for people with type 2 diabetes, although they should avoid white bread"

https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes/best-worst-breads-diabetes/

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed, and me being a diabetic, it would not be suitable even though wholemeal bread is part of my diabetic diet. Fortunately here in Siem Reap, my local MAKRO has an "onsite" bakery and it's wholewheat bread is non-sweetened to compete with many local private bakeries (a legacy from French colonial days). Sadly, the "onsite" bakery is producing far less local products which are being replaced by pre-packaged ones imported from Thailand. For example, that awful doughy Farmhouse bread is now appearing on our shelves at a higher price, replacing local bread. Is there a demise in MAKRO's "onsite" baking in Thailand?

No. MAKRO still bake onsite.

Siem Reap ((Cambodia in general) has far superior bread to Thailand. Obviously down to the French/Vietnamese influence whereas Thailand has not benefited from colonisation. 

I had a restaurant in Buriram and used to bring back dozens of baguettes from Siem Reap.

• Thanks 1

Funfact

they trick you with this  whole wheat is same as white

if looking for healthy look for whole GRAIN.......whole wheat is crap

the trick?  weight....hold a loaf of junky white or wheat and hold a loaf of whole GRAIN

its all in the weight as the fiber hasnt been stripped out of it......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NextG said:

You didn’t explain yourself at all. You just quoted my article. 

that's because your article discusses the main problem with whole wheat ie the anti-nutrients.

the other is carbs. most people eat a lot of carbs, but are not active. which will cause health issues. 

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

No. MAKRO still bake onsite.

Siem Reap ((Cambodia in general) has far superior bread to Thailand. Obviously down to the French/Vietnamese influence whereas Thailand has not benefited from colonisation. 

I had a restaurant in Buriram and used to bring back dozens of baguettes from Siem Reap.

Because they have being colonised by the French that's why good breads , .....and driving on the right side of the road ...????

7 hours ago, NextG said:

You didn’t explain yourself at all. You just quoted my article. 

here is another example.

she is talking about nuts.

she recommends not eating too many nuts because they are fairly high in anti-nutrients and also fairly expensive. 

it's just one person's opinion, but sth to consider. 

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, not strictly true. I am a type 2 diabetic and when I lived in the UK, my doctor advised me to eat wholemeal bread. For reference:-

"Contrary to popular belief, people with type 2 diabetes can, in fact, eat bread — the right kinds, in moderation. As a starting point..........................advises that breads made from whole grains like whole-wheat bread are fine in moderation for people with type 2 diabetes, although they should avoid white bread"

https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes/best-worst-breads-diabetes/

Sure I get the moderation bit. It will depend on individual cases. But remember the starch bit that gets converted to sugar is the main issue. Both white and wholemeal have plenty of it. Best to keep it to absolute minimum. Starch is notorious for raising insulin, worse than table sugar. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Really?  On what do you base that uncorroborated toxic condemnation?

Multiple studies on the ill effects of low end oil. Totally corroborated. Anyone with a knowledge of a basic healthy that the first place you start is with avoidance of low quality oils. 

Potassium bromate is a common oxidizing agent used to strengthen dough and improve rising. But the chemical has been linked to cancer, and is banned in many countries around the world. 

Partially Hydrogenated Oil is used to make breads resistant to oxidation and spoilage. Theses oils can turn into trans fats in the baking process. 

Trans fat increases the “bad” type of cholesterol and can damage arteries, increase inflammation, and potentially cause heart disease, diabetes and stroke. 

https://stonehousebread.com/bad-stuff-in-bread/

• Confused 1

I am more unhappy that last week they put at least 4 baht extra on the price of bread, I didn't know they get their flour from Ukraine and there is a shortage, again or is it just another company milking the people, when a fair. price would increase sales

22 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:
5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Really?  On what do you base that uncorroborated toxic condemnation?

Multiple studies on the ill effects of low end oil. Totally corroborated. Anyone with a knowledge of a basic healthy that the first place you start is with avoidance of low quality oils. 

So you're claiming to know the ingredients of Makro bread?  Your link did not mention the quality of anything in Makro's bread recipes so your comment was nothing more than an 100% uncorroborated, toxic condemnation.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

that's because your article discusses the main problem with whole wheat ie the anti-nutrients.

the other is carbs. most people eat a lot of carbs, but are not active. which will cause health issues. 

Okay. No probs. 

6 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

It’s all about the percentage of protein in the flour. Bread flour has a higher percentage. It’s better for forming the gluten. All purpose works and for some types of bread it’s preferred. 

@kannikaAs pointed out, it's the protein and resulting gluten.  Bread flour more than All Purpose and assuming AP more than Cake flour.