Shocking treatment: Thai-American couple demands justice after electric shock in Chon Buri hotel jacuzzi

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The 30 year old woman, Monthakan Khansantier, sought the help of a renowned Thai lawyer, Ronnarong Kaewphet, after the hotel offered her only 100,000 baht in compensation

Hotel offers monumental 100,000 baht... take it lady.

Lucky it wasn't 10,000 Baht

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Deserted said:

He he, well as it so happens, I've had a more harrowing experience in a jacuzzi than them although it rather difficult to convey. Let's just say if you skull is fractured and you are permanently brain damaged, taking a hot jacuzzi and sticking your head under the water to see what happens is definitely not a good idea if you prefer to remain conscious and have clear vision

Is this you writing or the brain damage?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, bbko said:

As a fellow American, all I can do is shake my head and think, sheez, get over yourselves, this isn't the USA. Man up, if there isn't any obvious injuries, take the 100k and get on with your life.

i try to remind newbies here in LOS   remember where u are..thai for thai and you are not thai

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

take the compensation love and think yourself lucky   !!

this is not the US deary ......

you'll end up with nothing if you try to be greedy ......

TIT .....  

True dat. The more you think you’ll get the more the lawyers will benefit. You’re on a hiding to nothing if you take this to court. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes exactly .....   nothing about any injury ....   and obviously exaggerating the indecent ....

hotel will tell her to <deleted> off lovey ....

hope she gets nothing

There's nothing wrong with compensation, especially if they received some injuries. 

In Thailand the legal consequences of having poor electrics in public places is extremely limited - The only way to take such issues more seriously is to make them care.

When a lack of safety standards costs businesses and authorities a lot of money, only then Thailand will become safer for the rest of us. 

Thus: While people may not think the issue of compensation is an important one, it actually is, because when businesses know there is a risk of excessive compensation costs they'll care enough to ensure their premises are safe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Good luck with that. I would not even put a bad review on Tripadvisor before getting back to the USA!

Agree there! Wait until they get back to the USA and then rip these bastards to shreds. make sure as many people know who they are, what they did and the paltry compensation, hopefully they won't be in business much longer. These <deleted>s need taking out.

29 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

i try to remind newbies here in LOS   remember where u are..thai for thai and you are not thai

Its in the header !!!!!!!

And just becasue someone else my be a non-Thai here thats no reason to suggest the legal system may not be on their side. 

This was not an accident, it was negligence. 

Shocking treatment: Thai-American couple demands justice after electric shock in Chon Buri hotel jacuzzi

If the hotel has paid compo allready leave it at that.Don,t make a song and dance about it and think u deserve more.It seems u are all fine and move on or u may get nothing going thru the courts.

I had a car accident minor no injuries and small money value,she was a lawyer claimed whiplash.Got away with it but wanted more,i found out thru a letter to me by mistake.Told the insurance company she lied  but nothing they can do.No whiplash or anything but the lawyer went for broke and she knew a payout would happen.Hope she got nothing but i will never know the end result.

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its in the header !!!!!!!

And just becasue someone else my be a non-Thai here thats no reason to suggest the legal system may not be on their side. 

This was not an accident, it was negligence. 

my mistake,,,,i usually just peek at the headlines.......carry on

13 minutes ago, Boyn said:

Did she get pregnant from pool related activities?

ha   i was in jail once(drinking) and took a shower without the jail sandals

some dude says yo man yo feet gonna get pregnant!   true story...sadly

btw feet had an abortion..just to piss off the republicans and bitter white men who crave power

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

They got an electric shock.

They were not electrocuted.

The quality of journalism couldn't be any worse.

I got curious because I've seen it used both ways - injury & death, so I looked it up. If the article and the woman are to be taken at face value, they were electrocuted. "Electrocution" encompasses severe or bad injury, not only death, which it appears you may have been inferring. Of the 5 dictionaries I checked, one of them only had death in the definition. All the others included injury.

9 minutes ago, Sig said:
6 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

They got an electric shock.

They were not electrocuted.

The quality of journalism couldn't be any worse.

I got curious because I've seen it used both ways - injury & death, so I looked it up. If the article and the woman are to be taken at face value, they were electrocuted. "Electrocution" encompasses severe or bad injury, not only death, which it appears you may have been inferring. Of the 5 dictionaries I checked, one of them only had death in the definition. All the others included injury.

Agreed...  There have been numerous debates on this forum regarding the specific meaning of 'electrocution' in relation to meaning death, or death and serious injury. 

Thus: the use of electrocution in this example is perhaps excessive because it would appear there was no 'serious' injury.

That said, its easy enough for any of us to know exactly what is meant by the word without delving in to the semantics... 

I'm sure our resident pedant will be along shortly to debate the debate !!!! 

Edited by richard_smith237

4 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

So the couple received an electric shock? Did the hotel get a qualified electrician to investigate and find any faulty wiring or whatever? If not it could happen again?

Nah, Somchai the maintenance guy checked it out by switching it on and putting his hand in the water .  No shock ...its good to go boss!!

• Haha 1

"After 20 minutes in the pool, they all felt numb all over their bodies and found it difficult to move their legs and arms."

That doesn't sound like an electric shock to me - an electric shock would have bounced them out of the jacuzzi!

No, I think they just stayed in too long and the water got cold - happened to me a few times in the UK after falling asleep in the bath!!! ???? 

6 minutes ago, Falcon said:

What an absolutely ridiculous comment!! The people could have does, the woman is pregnant and they were electrocuted. How would you like to sit in a bath and get electrocuted and someone say, “where’s the injury”? If you can’t find anything better to say, turn off your computer and go and do something that’s not so taxing on the brain. Idiot!!!

hahahahahahahaha

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Compensation for what exactly, what were the injuries?

According to the American guy; mental rape, post traumatic stress disorder, aquaphobia, loss of bowel control, itchiness, loss of balance, tingling in extremities, slurred speech, temporary blindness, profuse sweating, erectile dysfunction, loss the sense of taste, heart palpitations, turophobia, Francophobia, & consecotaleophobia.

It's the American version of winning the lottery, "Oh some minor incident happened to me? I need to sue for millions".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1