Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

3 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

I assume when you mention "Thai Tax ID", at least in the case of a Farang, you mean the "Pink ID"? Because I just checked my wife's Thai Tax Return and I am listed on it with my Pink ID number.

Usually the Thai ID is the TIN for Thais. I have this first hand from the Thai tax office in our area. For foreigners it is usually a tax number obtained and issued from the tax office. Pink ID number is maybe a tax number issued as a pink ID number.

15 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

This equates to around 100 baht per month based on the pitiful savings rates.

Yes; if you keep only the minimum amount required in the account.    However; would you rather have the 1200 Baht in your pocket or leave it for the Thai Government to take it ?

So if you are on an O based on marriage visa, and you need to send 400K. at 10% are you and your wife entitled to 30K each tax credit? If so you actually get back money? Or even at 15% you end up paying zero.

Edited by beammeup

Just saw this thst maybe relevant to this story

H.R. 5432 Tax Simplification for Americans Abroad Act has been introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives

The Tax Simplification for Americans Abroad Act will:

• Create a simplified tax return form to help make it easier for Americans filing from abroad who owe no U.S. tax
  • Eliminate double taxation for pensions and retirement distributions (including Social Security benefits), scholarships, fellowship grants, disability benefits, childcare expenses, family medical leave, and unemployment benefits
  • Consolidate the FBAR into FATCA, increase the filing threshold, and eliminate the requirement to report separately to FinCEN
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, pizzachang said:

Yes, you're correct. This refers to people who regularly pay income taxes in Thailand. I imagine, it is Thai citizens, who earn money abroad and pay their taxes.  A retired citizen from another country (not a Thai or a Thai passport holder) is not a "tax resident".  

What you say might be correct, but I have delt with this issue in other countries who have Tax reciprocity treaties and in the countries I looked into the above was not true, 

So I guess we will have to wait and see. if this proposal is approved and if so what form it will take.

So asked  chat GPD 

"what are the rules of the reciprocity tax treaty between the US and Thailand "

Below is a cursory synopsys . I am sure each aspect is pages and pages long.

The tax treaty between the United States and Thailand, officially titled the "Convention for the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with Respect to Taxes on Income," sets out various rules and provisions to prevent double taxation of income and to promote cooperation in tax matters between the two countries. Please note that tax treaties can be complex, and it's essential to consult the treaty's text or seek advice from a tax professional for specific details. However, I can provide a general overview of some key provisions commonly found in tax treaties:

Residency: The treaty defines who qualifies as a resident of each country for tax purposes. Residents are generally subject to tax in their country of residence.

Taxation of Business Profits: The treaty provides rules for the taxation of business profits, including rules for determining when a business has a permanent establishment (PE) in the other country and how such profits are taxed.

Dividends, Interest, and Royalties: The treaty often reduces or eliminates withholding tax rates on dividends, interest, and royalties when certain conditions are met. For example, withholding tax rates on dividends may be reduced to a specific percentage.

Capital Gains: The treaty may include provisions on the taxation of capital gains, especially gains from the sale of immovable property.

Independent Personal Services: Rules for taxing income from independent personal services, such as consulting or professional services, may be outlined in the treaty.

Pensions and Annuities: Provisions related to pensions and annuities may be included, specifying which country has the primary taxing rights.

Elimination of Double Taxation: The treaty typically outlines mechanisms for eliminating or reducing double taxation. This can include allowing taxpayers to claim a foreign tax credit or providing an exemption method.

Non-Discrimination: Tax treaties often include provisions to ensure that residents of one country are not subject to discriminatory taxation in the other country.

Exchange of Information: There may be provisions allowing the two countries to exchange tax-related information to prevent tax evasion.

Mutual Agreement Procedure: The treaty may establish a procedure for resolving disputes between the tax authorities of the two countries.

Please note that the specific details of the U.S.-Thailand tax treaty, including tax rates and thresholds, can vary depending on the nature of the income and the specific circumstances of the taxpayer. It's crucial to consult the actual treaty text or seek advice from a tax professional to understand how the treaty applies to your situation. Additionally, tax treaties can be subject to updates and amendments, so it's essential to ensure you have the most current information.

Regenerate
Send a message

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

What you say might be correct, but I have delt with this issue in other countries who have Tax reciprocity treaties and in the countries I looked into the above was not true, 

So I guess we will have to wait and see. if this proposal is approved and if so what form it will take.

So asked  chat GPD 

"what are the rules of the reciprocity tax treaty between the US and Thailand "

Below is a cursory synopsys . I am sure each aspect is pages and pages long.

The tax treaty between the United States and Thailand, officially titled the "Convention for the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with Respect to Taxes on Income," sets out various rules and provisions to prevent double taxation of income and to promote cooperation in tax matters between the two countries. Please note that tax treaties can be complex, and it's essential to consult the treaty's text or seek advice from a tax professional for specific details. However, I can provide a general overview of some key provisions commonly found in tax treaties:

Residency: The treaty defines who qualifies as a resident of each country for tax purposes. Residents are generally subject to tax in their country of residence.

Taxation of Business Profits: The treaty provides rules for the taxation of business profits, including rules for determining when a business has a permanent establishment (PE) in the other country and how such profits are taxed.

Dividends, Interest, and Royalties: The treaty often reduces or eliminates withholding tax rates on dividends, interest, and royalties when certain conditions are met. For example, withholding tax rates on dividends may be reduced to a specific percentage.

Capital Gains: The treaty may include provisions on the taxation of capital gains, especially gains from the sale of immovable property.

Independent Personal Services: Rules for taxing income from independent personal services, such as consulting or professional services, may be outlined in the treaty.

Pensions and Annuities: Provisions related to pensions and annuities may be included, specifying which country has the primary taxing rights.

Elimination of Double Taxation: The treaty typically outlines mechanisms for eliminating or reducing double taxation. This can include allowing taxpayers to claim a foreign tax credit or providing an exemption method.

Non-Discrimination: Tax treaties often include provisions to ensure that residents of one country are not subject to discriminatory taxation in the other country.

Exchange of Information: There may be provisions allowing the two countries to exchange tax-related information to prevent tax evasion.

Mutual Agreement Procedure: The treaty may establish a procedure for resolving disputes between the tax authorities of the two countries.

Please note that the specific details of the U.S.-Thailand tax treaty, including tax rates and thresholds, can vary depending on the nature of the income and the specific circumstances of the taxpayer. It's crucial to consult the actual treaty text or seek advice from a tax professional to understand how the treaty applies to your situation. Additionally, tax treaties can be subject to updates and amendments, so it's essential to ensure you have the most current information.

Regenerate
Send a message

Unfortunately this is not very accurate (as often happens when using Chat GPT) and seems to be talking in general about what might be in a Tax Treaty rather than the specifics of the actual one between the US and Thailand.

Links to which have been previously posted.

Of particular importance is the clear exemption of US Social Security and annuities from taxation by Thailand , full stop.

Tax treaties really are not that lengthy or hard to read. Suggest everyone review the one specific to themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Unfortunately this is not very accurate (as often happens when using Chat GPT) and seems to be talking in general about what might be in a Tax Treaty rather than the specifics of the actual one between the US and Thailand.

Links to which have been previously posted.

Of particular importance is the clear exemption of US Social Security and annuities from taxation by Thailand , full stop.

Tax treaties really are not that lengthy or hard to read. Suggest everyone review the one specific to themselves.

You are right about AI answers. First when I ask about the US Thai tax reciprocity treaty, it told me that the isnt one , then when I said that's not true and that one was signed 1996 it apologised and gave me the answers below. 

I did say that the below seems to be a cursory synopsys 

Can you please post that link, I have not seen it.yet

How about private company pensions, and income from bonds and such. 

One thing for sure, if this thing goes into affects we will all need a specialized accountant. or a plan B

To give a bit of perspective.

Indonesia and Vietnam tax everyone on their worldwide income.

Malaysia only taxes local income. And Philippines only taxes local income IF YOU ARE FOREIGNER. But if you get a Filipino passport you will get taxed worldwide.

Seems Thai nationals will be taxed worldwide wherever their income comes from without any possible loophole as they are the main target according to the articles.

Still have to see the details if foreigners will be taxed exactly the same on their worldwide income. Although I doubt it will happen, a tax system like in the Philippines could be an option if they want to keep stable their base of expats. That would be a positive discrimination for once.

Tax treaties only offer a protection to avoid to pay twice a tax on the same income but can't avoid bureaucracy and potential increased taxes if the treaty is not that great. Some of them were written 30 years ago in a very different context.

If they introduce someday a 90 days visa exemption (as some are thinking), you could do your 2 visa exemptions in a year and call it a day. Hassle free, and without all the bureaucratic nightmare, that would be an attractive alternative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, sirineou said:

You are right about AI answers. First when I ask about the US Thai tax reciprocity treaty, it told me that the isnt one , then when I said that's not true and that one was signed 1996 it apologised and gave me the answers below. 

I did say that the below seems to be a cursory synopsys 

Can you please post that link, I have not seen it.yet

How about private company pensions, and income from bonds and such. 

One thing for sure, if this thing goes into affects we will all need a specialized accountant. or a plan B

This was the link I had posted

https://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/u-s-thai-tax-treaty-pensions-and-social-security-payments-article-20/

covers pensions, SS, annuities

https://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/u-s-thai-tax-treaty-dividends-article-10/

https://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/u-s-thai-tax-treaty-interest-article-11/

cover dividends and interest respectively.  It looks like you could potentially be taxed on same but with limits to avoid double or excess taxation between the 2 countries.

I would suggest to try to avoid bringing interest or dividend income into Thailand unless it is to your overall advantage (i.e. lower tax rate than in US)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Well my plan for  8 month in Thailand next year changed to 179 days! No way I'm paying tax to Thailand ever!

Well, since I'm stil working in Norway, pay tax to Norway, nothing will be changed for me even I stay 8 months as planned. 

33 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Well my plan for  8 month in Thailand next year changed to 179 days! No way I'm paying tax to Thailand ever!

Well, since I'm stil working in Norway, pay tax to Norway, nothing will be changed for me even I stay 8 months as planned. 

16 hours ago, Thorgal said:

only for Thai citizens

The word "only" was added by you, its not in coconuts and not in the original from the RD, which has been translated in this thread 3 times

Edited by Lorry
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thai Government Alters Overseas Income Tax Rules to Close Loopholes

348943845_208589184845751_2482414659552278638_n-631x420.jpg

In an effort to tackle loopholes in overseas income tax, the Thai government has pulled out new rules that it said would permanently close these gaps for good, while also addressing issues of income inequality within the country.

However, the new rules have caused concern amongst many foreign expats even though the intention of the rules seem mainly targeted at Thais and dual tax agreements could avert some of the impact for some foreigners. Regardless of the intention, however, the rules could still complicate things for some foreign nationals who stay in Thailand over 180 days a year.

The Thai Ministry of Finance last week implemented a tighter rule on overseas income, which will take effect on January 1st, 2024, onward.

Full story: The Pattaya News 2023-09-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe