Gordon Ramsay’s group set to open 14 restaurants in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... usually historical reasons.... 

I don't disagree with you comments on the state of the NHS though.

Agreed...  horrific... but thats not where the 'stereotype' has come from...  the stereotype existed decades ago.

They're not the same, but if you think they are, then you're probably the sort of person that thinks Japanese food is all Sushi and Italian food is all pasta.

Fish & Chips ???...    or will you tell me this hugely popular dish is really from New Zealand ???

Every time we visit the UK we have to have Fish & Chips... (Wife and Son insist)... 

We also have to have some incredible fresh sausages, British cheeses, Pheasant in the Winter... 

I have to have some of the amazing beers on offer (but I'm in danger of digressing more than you have about teeth !!)... 

I guess you just don't like potatoes....  "its just meat, veg, potatoes"....  when you dumb it down like that... what is Thai food ?.. "its just meat, veg, rice" !!!... 

Dentistry: Someone who can see sense! Thank you for living in the real world....

Food: I lived in Japan, I'm a big fan... of the food, not so much the people! Fair enough, I was a bit harsh in my trivialization of British cuisine, and I was actually surprised to find out that according to Taste Atlas, British food is currently ranked no 29th, whilst Thai food is ranked 30th!

Screenshot (86).png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I think you & I have different ideas of fine dining ...

... tell me that's not a plastic chair ... ????

Are you going to eat the Chairs ????  Jai Fai has a Michelin star and the stools there are most definitely plastic... 

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

None of those are close to expensive, not have any ambiance, although, some food selection sure do look tasty.

I didn't mention expensive fine dining... I did mention excellent food and all of those places highlighted serve excellent food at reasonable prices... 

My guess is that any Gordon Ramsay restaurant will be competing at this level...  and its a level many Thai's can afford.

Give them a try, you wont be disappointed...  even if you want to pretend you have Buggatti tastes on an MG budget !!! :giggle:

If you want fine dining go to Le Normandie... You've missed the opportunity to try Gaggans molecular gastronomy...   He's reopened his restaurant by the name of Gaggan Anand... 

I doubt you have heard of those places either....   

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

Dentistry: Someone who can see sense! Thank you for living in the real world....

Food: I lived in Japan, I'm a big fan... of the food, not so much the people! Fair enough, I was a bit harsh in my trivialization of British cuisine, and I was actually surprised to find out that according to Taste Atlas, British food is currently ranked no 29th, whilst Thai food is ranked 30th!

Screenshot (86).png

Sorry, any list that has Filipino food above Thai, Malaysian, British, Lebanese, Pakistani, and Belgian food has zero credibility. Any list that has Filipino food in anythign but last place has no credibility.

But seriously, it is above Thai?? 

1 hour ago, transam said:
1 hour ago, PassportBro said:

Gotta bring in Uncle Roger.

Eh......?   :huh:

He's a Malaysian commedian who made his name on TikTok pretending to cook traditional Chinese foods and ripping the s#!t out of famous chef's who've cooked a Chinese dish on TV.... 

He rips it out of Jamie Oliver...  and Gordon Ramsay to some extent..... 

He's actually quite amusing in short doses...  my son thinks he's hilarious !!

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Are you going to eat the Chairs ????  Jai Fai has a Michelin star and the stools there are most definitely plastic... 

I didn't mention expensive fine dining... I did mention excellent food and all of those places highlighted serve excellent food at reasonable prices... 

My guess is that any Gordon Ramsay restaurant will be competing at this level...  and its a level many Thai's can afford.

Give them a try, you wont be disappointed...  even if you want to pretend you have Buggatti tastes on an MG budget !!! :giggle:

If you want fine dining go to Le Normandie... You've missed the opportunity to try Gaggans molecular gastronomy...   He's reopened his restaurant by the name of Gaggan Anand... 

I doubt you have heard of those places either....   

Hard not to hear about them, since M came to TH.  As I stated, I don't put much stock in M or restaurant ratings.   I also don't Q for food, or travel longer to/from to the food, than it takes to sit and enjoy it.  If in the neighborhood, then yea, I'll try anything.

You implied I didn't have the wallet for 'your' dining choices.   Remember, I'm on an sh!!ty MG budget.  I can find good pub grub at plenty of places.  They did look tasty though, may have to see where located.

Have a pleasant day.

Edited by KhunLA

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Hard not to hear about them, since M came to TH.  As I stated, I don't put much stock in M or restaurant ratings.   I also don't Q for food, or travel longer to/from to the food, than it takes to sit and enjoy it.  If in the neighborhood, then yea, I'll try anything.

You implied I didn't have the wallet for 'your' dining choices.   Remember, I'm on an sh!!ty MG budget.  I can find good pub grub at plenty of places.  They did look tasty though, may have to see where located.

Have a pleasant day.

Considering that you are one of the best Chefs in the World , in the top ten of Worlds bests Chefs , I am surprised that you don't cook for yourself more often 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I guess thats why your attitudes are so broken... You're stuck in the middle of nowhere with little choice but to either cook for yourself and polish your own delusions or eat local scran... 

(Not knocking local scran at all BTW, its probably great, but we're discussing international food)

You implied I didn't have the wallet for 'your' dining choices.   

I laughed at the arrogance of your 'dining budget' comment which deserved a pop... 

.... your 'trigger finger' whenever an MG or EV is mentioned in any topic is going to live on as long as the GOM thread and Trans inflating his tyres with Nitrogen !!!

Remember, I'm on an sh!!ty MG budget. 

Its about time we agreed on something !!! :giggle:

I can find good pub grub at plenty of places.  They did look tasty though, may have to see where located.

The Londoner is Pub Grub... those places I listed are better. 

Have a pleasant day.

:jap:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Considering that you are one of the best Chefs in the World , in the top ten of Worlds bests Chefs , I am surprised that you don't cook for yourself more often 

Given his self proclaimed culinary excellence he could easily use some of his US dining budget (which is more than most peoples annual salary) towards an award winning restaurant...  :cheesy:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

A British man is opening a restaurant in Thailand 

Where does Donald Trump fit into the equation ?

Did you just mention Trump for no reason at all ?

Inferring that Ramsey has just sold the rights to use his name on what will likely turn out to be overpriced garbage.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/22/2023 at 10:06 AM, Goat said:

i have seen this clowns youtube videos of his trips to Thailand before.

Total cringe. He has no idea, and can not even handle mildly spicy food. 

Easy to come up with 'tasty' food in England which is famous foractually having terrible cuisine. The bar is set very low.

He only got popular on TV from the way he carries on like an old mole, whining about everything, not because his bland food is actually any good.

But Thailand cuisine is up there with the best in the world, Thai restaurants popular and numerous all over the globe, and numerous dishes make top 100s every single survey. 

Cant recall ever seeing a "English Restaurant" being popular. It tastes like krap, but blander.

Thais will think his food is tasteless, he doesnt know how to balance flavours, as proven by his old Thailand youtube content. Pepper and salt anyone?

Of course it’s commercial, no one’s  going to invest millions of euros to loose it . Jamie Oliver’s was very good, always full , I had to reserve every time,  delicious food and loads of Thais. He closed because of Covid . Shame, his staff were fantastic ! You obviously don’t know Gordon’s restaurants, I go every time when I’m in UK. Delicious, and I can promise you he does a great Thai curry or Indian . The staff is multinational. A five star cook in Bali told me he did his training there ! Most people like a change from Thai, or any other speciality cuisine. Who wants rice n noodles every day ? I’m’sure a lot of people love their « different «  meals out. If you think a roast with 3 veg is the only thing Brits eat, you must never go out.   I think GR will be welcomed in Thailand. 

• Like 2

On 9/22/2023 at 3:06 PM, Goat said:

i have seen this clowns youtube videos of his trips to Thailand before.

Total cringe. He has no idea, and can not even handle mildly spicy food. 

Easy to come up with 'tasty' food in England which is famous foractually having terrible cuisine. The bar is set very low.

He only got popular on TV from the way he carries on like an old mole, whining about everything, not because his bland food is actually any good.

But Thailand cuisine is up there with the best in the world, Thai restaurants popular and numerous all over the globe, and numerous dishes make top 100s every single survey. 

Cant recall ever seeing a "English Restaurant" being popular. It tastes like krap, but blander.

Thais will think his food is tasteless, he doesnt know how to balance flavours, as proven by his old Thailand youtube content. Pepper and salt anyone?

Most Thais would say 'Gordon who?'

Here's a look at his menu of the Bread Street Kitchen in Liverpool, with prices listed that I'm assuming are in GBP...

Screenshot_1.jpg.0438ffcb97b07835fb821d4f2e2ed16e.jpg

Bread St Kitchen Liverpool menu.pdf

Interesting that Ramsay has a series of hamburger focused eateries in the U.S. and some other countries, but they're apparently not bringing that particular concept to Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

'mericans can't help themselves... 

'over priced garbage'.....    So... Which of Gordon Ramsay's restaurants did you eat at to give you first hand evidence that his food will likely be a) overpriced and b) garbage ???

Or, as I suspect, have you simply put fingers to keyboard without engaging brain cells ?

Will it be his food though?

How much time do you expect Gordon to be spending in Thailand?

He’ll show up once, for the grand opening, and that will be that.

Trump steak!

https://www.grubstreet.com/2014/10/gordon-ramsay-restaurants-closure-rates.html

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Most Thai's are perhaps not the uneducated poor Thai's you draw your stereotype from, if thats all your exposure is to Thailand then it understandable you think like that.

There is a huge growing middle class in Thailand with expendable income and exposure to international media...  They know exactly who Gordon Ramsay is and many other internationally famous people. 

Most Thais are certainly poor, add to that the level of household debt is through the roof - the middle class is under extreme duress and shrinking rather quickly.

This will be no more than a flash in the pan venture that probably won’t make it through the first year.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Stupid comment - thats a 400% exaggeration !!!

https://www.gordonramsayrestaurants.com/en/us/gordon-ramsay-burger/menus/las-vegas

Bad comparison, Las Vegas, so we see a price without the taxes and tips included which will double it there!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thumbs Up 1

reminds me of the old chestnut: Henry Kissinger announced that he was investing in a new chain of restaurants, located in some of the capitols of the world. Their slogan was going to be: 'eat all you can and you'll be power hungry hours later'.

12 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Sorry, any list that has Filipino food above Thai, Malaysian, British, Lebanese, Pakistani, and Belgian food has zero credibility. Any list that has Filipino food in anythign but last place has no credibility.

But seriously, it is above Thai?? 

Exactly and Greek food 555

Greek food is mostly dreadful

• Sad 3

What does ramsey  think that people will flock to his restaurants in thailand.street food is much better and cheaper.along with many others,but some mugs will go there for sure.Most people will avoid it like the plague and the partners involved will learn the mistake working with the idiot quickly

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/22/2023 at 7:05 PM, recom273 said:

I was wondering this the other day .. sunk without a trace, right? I am unsure if all his chain restaurants didn't go the same way.

Who would go to a Ramsay restaurant and eat Fish and Chips?

Jamie Olivers several restaurants in Australia all failed. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, bristolgeoff said:

What does ramsey  think that people will flock to his restaurants in thailand.street food is much better and cheaper.along with many others,but some mugs will go there for sure.Most people will avoid it like the plague and the partners involved will learn the mistake working with the idiot quickly

I really don't understand why people like you and the many, many others who have decided to comment on this subject even bother. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about; Gordon Ramsay is a VERY successful chef with 58 restaurants throughout the world, many of which are awarded with a Michelin Star (super difficult to get). I reckon he might have a slightly better idea of good locations to set up shop in than you or all the other negative commentators here who's culinary expertise seems to only stretch to some Pad Thai, a home cooked steak or dodgy street food.

Fine dining is not for everyone (including yourself) and that's ok. You and all the other negative commentators here are NOT his target demographic, but there are many in Bangkok (myself included) who are.   

• Like 1