What is the real deal with proposed foreign income tax changes?

webfact

image.jpeg

VIDEO: Pattaya News Special

By Goongnang Suksawat

Source: THE PHUKET NEWS 2023-09-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, retarius said:

I have accelerated some saving transfers over to Thailand, to buy assets like land for my missus for when I die.

I'll do the same,  transfer all our 2024 income  before the end this year. For those who can I'd suggest to switch to the LTR visa, as it might protect them and even allow them to spend their THB 800000 deposit.

LTR Royal Decree

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

After clicking one second into the vid seeing some yahoo sat on a bench supping a can I knew I wasn't watching the 'real deal' as implied by the subject title so switched it off.

AJ is actually a pretty smart guy who loves to talk and has connections all over Pattaya, he's not your average brain dead youtuber.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Litlos said:

This has been coming for a while and is not a recently conceived idea. Abit of history of linked events I am aware off: The auto no tax on non resident income option deleted a couple of years ago, no problem rely on the bring it in next year option. Anyone with an address in Thailand on their Paypal account has to reregister with a Thai Id number, this was apparently a way that Thai overseas workers were sending money home in the same year and bypassing the Thai tax, Anyone spending more than 180 days in Thailand is considered a tax resident of Thailand in Jan this year. About May this year Thailand joins CRS which is a multinational scheme to share tax and income details across borders. Last week the final nail in the tax free coffin the removal of the bring it in next year option, so now all the pieces are in place to levy tax on overseas income.

The interesting part is I have seen it referred to as a tax on income and a tax on income remitted to Thailand, the second version came out as a clarification a few days after the first, so hopefully this the the more accurate version. But lots of questions all on overseas transactions, such as how are capital gains treated? Income previously earned, retrospective tax. Share dividends?

So I am following closely to optimise this year to minimise in future, but clarifications are sparse.

There is always the option when travelling to Thailand to bring in up to USD20,000 in cash without the need to declare it, 2 x overseas trips a year is doable when flight prices decrease. Can also bring in 500k Baht from bounded countries, Bank account in Malaysia?

Cheers

With the AEOI - CRS ( automatic exchange of information banks to country  ) if you are registered  at your bank as a Thai resident  than the Thai fiscal authorities will know your bank statements end of the year .

If you reside  more than 180 days in Thailand I assume you will enter in the taxable regime. 

Till now if it was savings it was not taxed .

Will have to understand  what they want to tax and what % ....

• Thanks 1