More details on Thai taxation of overseas income

webfact

we better should get our ambassadors working on it.

double tax treaties are in place.

one should be treated taxed, even if he doesn't reach the minimum. 

zero or 100, taxed is taxed. we shouldn't pay the difference, when Thailand asks for a higher tax rate. point!

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I presume that the tax due on say pensions from abroad would be due at the end of 2024 and not monthly which gives time for things to settle down. A thought. money transfers from 'Wise' are from Thai bank to Thai bank ie. internal. Have your pension paid into a savings account in your home country and transfer the 'savings' to your Thai account split up among your partner and child, I can imagine there are many ways that a Thai tax accountant could advise.

It's impossible for it to work because the tax or immigration authorities will ask you "What income or earnings do you live on?"

• Confused 1

Repeating existing tax rules. Savings might be excluded?

New tax rules will be that they drop this “one year clause”, meaning you cant deposit income abroad and transfer one year later without tax. In focus are Thais, not farangs. We will see.

Disadvantage for people living on a monthly basis?

Maybe.

I personally dont see an issue with retirement money if double tax agreement exists. Paying and receive back? No. They wont do that zero game.

You just dont have to pay as per declaration in case taxed before.

How to control it?

Well its a law defined by self declaration as it is everywhere!

Advantage?

Well maybe the tax in Thailand is less than abroad?

And:

Consider the inheritance tax and the last will based on Thai law.

Thailand has many “advantages” if you know them. 

A last will without knowing tax implications in case of assets should be avoided. Other topic, I know.

My last will took 2 years to understand the tax situation for different assets in the world.

Edited by Tom H

16 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

Another "what if". If you are on  (US) SS  and a pension, but don't make enough to pay taxes after your standard deduction, can Thailand tax the full amount made?

Yes, but they have also 150,000 Baht free of tax. Then it starts with different percentages.

Selfdeclaration to be in line with the law.

But: Who controlls your case?

Noone. See the past.

16 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

Another "what if". If you are on  (US) SS  and a pension, but don't make enough to pay taxes after your standard deduction, can Thailand tax the full amount made? To be clearer, you have to make over $27,700 if married before you are taxed on any amount above that. Can Thailand tax you on the $27700?

This is sort of my situation...  US SS directly deposited into my BKK Bank + 2 small pensions [not brought to Thailand unless I need some $]

Plus, I work legally in Thailand and have for 30+ years. I wonder how that combo might affect things. 

40 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

My wife and I have property in the UK, I will just let her own all the income from it, they can't prove otherwise 

Its not a falang tax:).

Be aware about inheritance tax in UK and Thailand as a hint:).

Edited by Tom H
  • Like 1

From what I understand in the usual fog of declarations with what the Thai authorities want to declare and what they do NOT want to say is that: 

All expats who reside in Thailand for more than 180 days per year have become tax residents from 1 January 2024 and therefore everyone will have to complete the declaration to the Thai tax authorities and if you do not believe you are double taxed you could declare it with proof, if you are not taxed because in your country of origin because you do not have a tax declaration that proves it, you would pay the taxes to the Thai tax authorities

Edited by BE88
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

If the income has been received in another country and later within the same tax year is being transferred to the taxpayer’s account in Thailand it must be taxed in Thailand

Ok so now I am confused... reading this nothing has changed?   I can still bring in income to Thailand that I received from overseas that has been in a UK bank account for 1+ years without paying tax on it?  

Edited by James105
  • Like 1

In fact, the article is wrong. This is not the usual way that taxes are admininstered.  I'm not an expert on international tax law but typically tax payers are obliged to declare their worldwide income on their annual tax returns and are taxed accordingly.  But remittances aren't taxed because that's not income.

Also, if you're an expat there aren't many countries that I know of that tax you on your worldwide income. Rather, you're taxed on the income of the country you're living in not what you might have earned in other countries.

This provides a perfect tax dodge for the rich, though, who have myriad ways to launder their money.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

about as clear as mud, yet again.

good luck sticking yer hand in my pocket, that's all I can say.

Srettha and his cronies won't be getting a single penny, neither will the national parks that I have to pay inflated prices for.

and as for public hospitals? not a chance, unless I get my 30 baht healthcare card.

no taxation without representation! 

Hear Hear BobI'll drink to that. ????????

When's the Blowout, btw????

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

The most interesting part of the linked article:

"Savings is not classified as income"

Does it state in the tax code that savings is income?

For most people income is money earned:

ordinary income ie. from Investments, interest, dividends, salaries and wages.

Income from capital gains.

Edited by freeworld

1 hour ago, buriram39 said:

What if the income received overseas is exempt frommtax innthe country of origin?

Buri...that,s exactly my situation.My govt gives me a tax exemption on my pensions because they are under a certain threshold . But will the RD recognize this documents? Thats my question.I know...wait and see...Sounds like a huge paper shuffle in the works.

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, James105 said:

Ok so now I am confused... reading this nothing has changed?   I can still bring in income to Thailand that I received from overseas that has been in a UK bank account for 1+ years without paying tax on it?  

Thats the “existing law”, the guy forgot to tell that this 1 year thing will change.

• Like 1