Three favourite movies

georgegeorgia

34 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes best Australian movies Muriel's Weddings 

What was the one with the ladyboys in the Australian Desert dancing ? Forget the name now 

Priscilla Queen of the dessert.  Australia unable to keep up with Britain and US with Movies. I would say Australia makes films and not movies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So many grape movies:

Shaving Ryan’s Privates

Star Whores

Forrest Hump

Honorable Mentions:

Full Metal Jockstrap 

Top Gums

Roast Busters

Jeremiah's Johnson 

Drilling Miss Daisy

The Boner Collector

The Lizard of Oz.

Live Hard

Brokebutt Mountain

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

What was the one with the ladyboys in the Australian Desert dancing ? Forget the name now 

The movie I think you're referring to is, "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert". 

An Australian Road Movie staring Hugo Weaving and Guy Pearce as Drag Queens and Terence Stamp as a transgender woman, on their bus called Priscilla.

Terence was nominated for a BAFTA for Best Actor, but he, Tom Hanks ( Forrest Gump) and John Travolta (Pulp Fiction) were pipped by Hugh Grant in Four Weddings.

Did win the Oscar for best costume design though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes best Australian movies Muriel's Weddings 

Probably Priscilla, Queen of the desert.

Mentioning Oz made me remember one of the best movies I have seen- Picnic at Hanging Rock. A truly great movie, and the music was wonderful.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I must admit as I get older my patience level to watch movies has waned if that means anything.

But give me your 3 in any order favourite movies !

Mine are *The Departed 

* No place for old men 

* Transamerica

*  The Guardian ( security guard one in condo building)

*Falling Down 

Anyone was into teenage mutant ninja turtles???????

Who remembers ????"babe "?????

To Hell and Back.  Audie Murphy.

The Charge at Feather River.  Guy Madison.

Flaming Star.  Elvis.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

They say Casablanca was the best movie of all time .

My late father was into   Westerns ,every Saturday he used to watch the midday western cowboy Indians  movie ,who were they John Wayne ,Gene Autrey,Roy ..,? Rogers??

Bonanza ?,I couldn't stand any western movies ,I don't think they make Westerns anymore ??? Surely no one here is into Western movies 

I wonder if they have been banned by the Woke crowd ??

I'm into Western movies, but from the fifties and sixties, not modern ones.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Who remembers BABE?????

Of course we do. And the sequel "Babe: Pig in the City".

My wife and myself are collecting pigs from all over the world. We even own an original Haekelschwein (one of about 15000 worldwide all hand made by a German Granny alone). No idea how many we have all in all.

That's a 68 year old higher educated guy with a place of childhood in his chest. We (that includes my wife) love our pigs.

I love Studio Ghibli animes.

I have so many movies that I rarely have time to watch any of them more than once. Exceptions are Blade Runner (original) and The Matrix (first one only). There are a few others I would watch again if I had the time.

Edited by Dexxter
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2023 at 12:29 PM, Felton Jarvis said:

1. Shawshank Redemption

2. The Green Mile

3. Desperate Living

WOW!  Desperate Living.  We have another John Waters fan:  great!  Edith Massey (known to many as the "egg lady") as Queen Carlotta.  That was the only feature film Waters made without the great actor/actress Divine before Divine's death in 1988.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

First, what a great thread!  Someone mentioned Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone) with one of the all-time best musical scores by Ennio Morricone.  It certainly deserves to be highly rated.

So many great flicks were listed by other posters, including Mulholland Drive, The Big Lebowski, Unforgiven, True Romance, The Wages of Fear (1953).  The only poster who mentioned a movie on my all-time top-10 list mentioned Les Enfants du Paradis.

So difficult to choose only 3, but here goes:  Grave of the Fireflies (a Studio Ghibli film, 1988, directed by Isao Takahata), Tokyo Story (1953, Yasujiro Ozu ), and Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974, Rainer Werner Fassbinder).  

Ozu is my favourite director of all time.

Edited by LarryLEB
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Wages of Fear. Bitter Rice. African Queen.

Watched African Queen recently and it did not seem dated at all to me.

Sometimes I go back and watch movies I liked in the past and they don't seem to have aged well.

But African Queen was great.

"Nature, Mr. Allnut, is what we were put here to rise above".

• Thanks 1

I cannot but add one more entry to my list above:

• Tampopo (The movie is even available on YouTube in full length (Japanese with English Subtitles)

It helps to enjoy the movie if you have been in Japan yourself, then you will understand many of the fine jokes better. But highly recommended.

Edited by moogradod

1 hour ago, LarryLEB said:

WOW!  Desperate Living.  We have another John Waters fan:  great!  Edith Massey (known to many as the "egg lady") as Queen Carlotta.  That was the only feature film Waters made without the great actor/actress Divine before Divine's death in 1988.

Yep, I have all the Waters movies.  Truly fine trash cinema. ????

• Like 1