Money can't buy you Love (unless you're in Thailand).

bob smith

20 minutes ago, bob smith said:

when I was a kid my mother always said that love is the most important thing and no amount of money can buy it.

We prioritized personal relationships over financial gain

but it seems that things dont work that way in the land of smiles.

In thailand it seems that money always comes first

is this true?

is this what parents teach their kids?

money over Love every time?

are they not acutely aware that life is finite?

and that you cant take your money with you when you die?

ive never met a more money hungry populace in my entire life than when I arrived here.

every single thing is about money here,

its actually rather nauseating 

Integrity means nothing here.

money will never make you happy.

I know, because ive got it and i'm as miserable as sin.

in fact, i am living effing proof that money does not bring you happiness. 

It’s the company you keep. 
In addition, you have a substantial regular income or a lump sum that might be sufficient to see you through to a ripe old age. Something that a large proportion of the populace can only dream. Instead, many are likely borrowing from Peter in order to pay Paul. A stressful existence, far away from the peace of mind that having a stable income can bring. A hungry lion is far more dangerous than one that has already eaten. 
Add in the ‘wife/girlfriend as a pet’ syndrome; wherein you take on a woman you can ‘afford’, rather than one with a suitable character. 

• Love It 1

39 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Integrity means nothing here.

I went with my new girlfriend to a fish restaurant in 1998. One of the first things the waitress said, was: "I didn't think that 'falang' can afford fish." - I almost left, but just swallowed my pride. If one walks past a restaurant, sometimes they hiss at you: "Poor", or "Keeniaow". That's how they "attract" new customers here. - So much greed and bitterness... Suffice to say that Thailand became the country where I spend the least money in a given period, but rather abroad. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

56 minutes ago, bob smith said:

when I was a kid my mother always said that love is the most important thing and no amount of money can buy it.

Women lie!

Briffault's Law,

The female of the species controls all access to sex, where she gains no advantage, she will provide no sex. Past advantage will get you nothing, future advantage will provide little more.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I went with my new girlfriend to a fish restaurant in 1998. One of the first things the waitress said, was: "I didn't think that 'falang' can afford fish." - I almost left, but just swallowed my pride. If one walks past a restaurant, sometimes they hiss at you: "Poor", or "Keeniaow". That's how they "attract" new customers here. - So much greed and bitterness... Suffice to say that Thailand became the country where I spend the least money in a given period, but rather abroad. 

Wow.

where exactly was this?

I think Thais have some real mental issues, especially when it comes to finances. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Fish is cheap

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Women lie!

Briffault's Law,

The female of the species controls all access to sex, where she gains no advantage, she will provide no sex. Past advantage will get you nothing, future advantage will provide little more.

Use hand?

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

yeah, my mother was liike that. never cared much for money. 

my sister married a multi-millionaire. money became the most important criteria.

it all changed in one generation. it's not just thailand. it's everywhere. 

old skool women.

they don't make 'em like they used to.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

I know, because ive got it and i'm as miserable as sin.

in fact, i am living effing proof that money does not bring you happiness. 

Shed the Rolex, Bob! It's making you miserable! I'm looking for a gold Daytona!

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

yeah, my mother was liike that. never cared much for money. 

my sister married a multi-millionaire. money became the most important criteria.

it all changed in one generation. it's not just thailand. it's everywhere. 

old skool women.

they don't make 'em like they used to.

Nothing to do with the generations nor being ‘old skool’. In every family you’ll have some who are mean and some who are generous; some whom

are good with money and some who are not. Some who are open and some who are closed. 

Edited by NextG

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Women lie!

Briffault's Law,

I’m becoming concerned as to your state of health. 
You are referring to this ‘law’ again and again, but in an extremely narrow context. In your case; money. 
The existence of other inducements appears totally alien to your thinking. 
Therefore you are unable to create and sustain these alternative situations. 
A case in point: Your insistence that you don’t want a woman for love, but only sex. Since most women can obtain sex quite easily, you’ll need to offer something more than that for her to have sex with you regularly and exclusively. 
But that doesn’t mean that everyone is sailing on that ship. 
Others may choose a different path, rather than just choosing a woman for sex. 

Edited by NextG

Not like you to have a whinge.

One reason they might care a bit about money is that for many this is a first or second generation of having money. They work hard and they want to show something for it.

My ex wifes father was dirt poor as a child and he bought a small rubber tree farm and built it up .. kids bought up simply but all doing well but not without really hard work.

On the other hand, myself, and possibly many other posters, had it a bit easy growing up, and though we may work hard, we haven't known that struggle to move from child hood poverty to grown up success. So they want to show it with some nice wine, jewelry, etc and are more aware and conscious of it than we may be. Fair enough I say. 

I can certainly say that many Thai men have in my experience been outrageous liars.

I cannot say the same for women. My own relationship is some 18 years now, still strong, loving. She tells the odd fib now and gain when she wants to give her family money and doesn't want a debate with me, but that's as far as it goes. 

I'm a believer in treating women decently and they will treat you decently most of the time. Most of the men who complain about their wives, that I know of, treat their wives abysmally, and get the horror they dole out, doled right back at them. 

Personally I hate cheapness. I'm not cheap, never have been, and I really dislike it in people who look at the police of beer and say, "I'm not going in there the beer's too expensive" or walk around town for an hour finding some stinky, dirty hovel that was 5 baht a bottle cheaper, but where you might catch hepatitis.

Cheap men get horrible relationships because the relationship is driven by money and imagined wasting if it. So please keep being cheap Charlies and I'll keep being generous and happy.

3 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

So they want to show it with some nice wine, jewelry, etc and are more aware and conscious of it than we may be. Fair enough I say. 

why have to show off though?

They make me want to throw up!!

I have more disposable income in my pocket than 99% of Thai people, yet to look at me on the street you would think I was poor or average at best.

If you've got it, stop flaunting it. it's really, really unattractive. 

Edited by bob smith
  • Haha 2