Thai Police not sure Norwegian man killed his partner in Chiang Mai

webfact

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

They set him ( the norwegian man ) under pressure to make him confess ,because that would have been the easiest for police . But he did not . So , they need to start doing their job and gather evidence .

Never confess .

Absolutely, don't people have the right to remain silent in Thailand?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Ah now.....that's not like the good old BIB to jump to conclusions. 

They are the shining example to us all of careful, well thought out and considered police work. 

Well done lads, great work with this case. 

...after they let the "free press" of Thai Rath and consorts trample through and make photos with and without the leading eye of the lore............

Did sound like a good investigative reporter is on the case.  Seems like the first time I thought that in 5 years on AN.   So now that, that dam embassy is involved and he didn't confess while we grilled him up good we will start to investigate the evidence?   Crazy!   Seems like it would be rather easy to frame or get framed in Thailand 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not liking that sentence at all regarding the suspect 'resisting attempts to make him confess to the murder'.  Wonder what those 'attempts' were.  Hopefully not plastic bags put over his head.  Also scandalous the part about the police now having to go back (WORK, FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE) and actually take a look at the evidence.  Wow.  First we have to WORK attempting to get a confession out of him and when that wasn't successful, more WORK looking at boring evidence--if any was even collected.  Where can I sign up for one of those 'inactive posts'?  Nobody told me there would be work involved when I signed on.  Hopefully we can just go through the motions before trying some more 'attempts' on him.

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

To busy trying to find his face. :coffee1:

Complicated Why? What does that even mean? just because an embassy is involved, you mean they are watching us better be careful in the interrogations not to beat it out of him. 

Exactly.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Absolutely, don't people have the right to remain silent in Thailand?

Depends how you look at rights to silence.  Last year the BIB gave that drug dealer permanent silence while they tried to beat a confession out of him with a plastic bag over his head.  

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

They set him ( the norwegian man ) under pressure to make him confess ,because that would have been the easiest for police . But he did not . So , they need to start doing their job and gather evidence .

Never confess .

Funny how in normal countries a confession needs to be proven to be consistent with evidence. A confession on its own is meaningless.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

This guy got to be a tough bird? 

They they scare him, maybe even beat and put a plastic bag over his head and nothing so he must be innocent. 

So now they decide better go back and collect evidence or better yet plant some because these guys already trample over the scene. If only they do such a job when a farang dies. 

Years ago I had a Australia classmate in Thailand language he express feat for his life a month later he was dead.  Police claim he jump off his balcony.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Surely the police will check for finger prints on the knife / machete used in the killing 

Which should prove if the Norwegian guy is  guilty or not ????

If the machete or a kitchen knife is his, it is bound to have his finger prints on it. This in no way means he used it, to murder someone. I think the key here, is did the murder weapon have multiple sets of finger prints on it? Perhaps someone came into the house and used this weapon? 

• Like 1

Sounds like the Thai police are far too reliant on confessions (and I can only imagine what they might do to extract them ... I still remember the plastic-bag-over-the-head incident). According to the Innocence Project, approximately 25% of individuals who were wrongfully convicted but later exonerated through DNA evidence had made false confessions or incriminating statements ... and that's in the US where interrogations are recorded and scrutinised.

Also, wasn't the title used here a week ago: "Norwegian man murders his Thai boyfriend in Chiang Mai" with several people noting that there should be a presumption of innocence? I guess this latest development proves their point...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Never confess .

I assume you mean never confess if you are innocent?  But I agree with you.  Maybe now they will  disconnect the electrical wires from his private parts, put away the waterboarding kit and revert to proper police investigating. 

10 hours ago, Docno said:

Sounds like the Thai police are far too reliant on confessions (and I can only imagine what they might do to extract them ... I still remember the plastic-bag-over-the-head incident). According to the Innocence Project, approximately 25% of individuals who were wrongfully convicted but later exonerated through DNA evidence had made false confessions or incriminating statements ... and that's in the US where interrogations are recorded and scrutinised.

Also, wasn't the title used here a week ago: "Norwegian man murders his Thai boyfriend in Chiang Mai" with several people noting that there should be a presumption of innocence? I guess this latest development proves their point...

"Also, wasn't the title used here a week ago: "Norwegian man murders his Thai boyfriend in Chiang Mai" with several people noting that there should be a presumption of innocence? I guess this latest development proves their point..."

Defamatory comment?