Thai hoteliers embrace TAT’s forthcoming expat focus

webfact

I guess they realised that expats exist in the country.

No doubt they only care now because the horde isn't coming after all.

If they want expats, they could issue 90 day visa exempt arrivals back to back, like I used to get long ago. I used to hate going anywhere near immigration office.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Remember this previous tourism strategy:*

• In late June 2020, Thailand’s government approved two stimulus packages worth 22.4 billion baht (US$718 million), aimed at revitalizing the country’s tourism industry.
  • The packages, named ‘We Travel Together’ and ‘Moral Support’, are designed to boost domestic travel by providing an array of travel perks such as subsidized flights, car rental fees, and bus fares. There are also subsidies available for hotel accommodations, food, and facilities provided at tourist destinations.
  • The subsidies will be available from July to October 2020

I guess TAT gave up on the Thai domestic tourist.

* ref. 

Thailand Issues Stimulus Packages to Boost Domestic Tourism

July 9, 2020 Posted by ASEAN BriefingWritten by Ayman Falak Medina

Edited by Srikcir
Add reference

6 hours ago, retarius said:

Digital nomads might come for a few months, then realise that Thailand is trying to tax them, then they'll move somewhere else. 

Most other destinations require tax as well, so where are they going to move to? Ecuador? The Philippines is the only regional alternative I'm aware of, but that's an acquired taste, I don't see an exodus there.

Not to mention many (most?) digital nomads already pay tax somewhere, making this a non issue since it will almost certainly be covered by DTA agreements.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, stoner said:

this will make a guy want to buy an elite visa. 

Agree with your sarcasm but … it may well reduce the irritant resulting in numerous Expats reporting the double pricing to their friends (or on public websites) which discourages potential visitors. Like it or not, a number of cultures view this unequal treatment as patently offensive. All kinds of alternatives … I hold that Thailand has a great natural parks potential to enhance tourism … much as I have experienced in the USA. Years ago I was given a Seniors Pass that allowed myself and my Thai Wife & Stepdaughter to enter sites free on our recent US trip.

• Like 1

Hmmhh they'll have a lot of work to compensate for the new income tax rule. Tomorrow I am off to Penang, instead of Koh Chang. There will be more of that next year. Saving over 150k on a yearly holiday budget of about 500k.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Hmmhh they'll have a lot of work to compensate for the new income tax rule. Tomorrow I am off to Penang, instead of Koh Chang. There will be more of that next year. Saving over 150k on a yearly holiday budget of about 500k.

I take it you are not going to Penang for the beaches or the night life.

I've been there and I was not impressed. Couldn't wait to go back to Thailand.

On 10/14/2023 at 2:59 PM, Srikcir said:

I guess TAT gave up on the Thai domestic tourist.

* ref. 

Thailand Issues Stimulus Packages to Boost Domestic Tourism

July 9, 2020 Posted by ASEAN BriefingWritten by Ayman Falak Medina

I remember discussion in the media during the early stages of the pandemic to include expats, but they must have decided not to include those "dirty falang". Instead they bet on Chinese horses in the sky...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 1

These only digital nomads / remote workers that I've ever met in Thailand weren't the Marriott type more like the hostel type or, at best, the condo style. That article doesn't make much sense to me...

Another thing that bugs me is the visa issue. What kind of visa would those people be on ? As far as I know those guys are currently on tourist visas or ED visas...

I don't know it's weird.

Please come back we have an Abundance of Museums, Temples, and National parks, all you need, but also remember your tourist tax at the Airport and pack your PPE Such as an armored jacket in the event you get into a Taxi in the family-orientated holiday dream destination of Pattaya. Further afield bring a Russian translation book for when you go out in the evening for a meal in the Pearl of the Andaman Phuket. Welcome to the Land of Smiles.

Edited by BarraMarra

36 minutes ago, Bunny Silverhand said:

These only digital nomads / remote workers that I've ever met in Thailand weren't the Marriott type more like the hostel type or, at best, the condo style. That article doesn't make much sense to me...

Another thing that bugs me is the visa issue. What kind of visa would those people be on ? As far as I know those guys are currently on tourist visas or ED visas...

I don't know it's weird.

Maybie they mistake digital nomad with remote employed for a big corporate entity who could claim a smart visa? but those dont seem to be many.

I consider myself as a digital nomad, as im freelance, work 100% online and travel every year bettewen France and Thailand.
Im also married with a Thai and 50+ so i dont lack of options for my visa.
But i may be an exception.

On 10/14/2023 at 9:33 AM, redwood1 said:

This I think is the first article I have ever read where the Thais were even thinking of doing anything for expats......

Expats have always been viewed as dirty unpleasent and barely tolerated in Thailand by the hi-so Thais.....

don't be naïve they are doing it because they've suddenly decided to like you, it's always about the money!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Seen one temple you have seen them all, how many elephants do you wanna see? I only ever went to one NP many years ago when they tried that farang price, I have never ever been back to any other and I have done a fair bit of travelling around Thailand, 

I dont see these DN as the Marriott type from what I see here they are on ED visa and rent cheap condo's or cheap Thai bungalow's, 

Buy all their food from 7/11 

Edited by ChipButty