What is a Thai life worth to the government?

webfact

image.jpeg

In a world that often feels unsteady, buffeted by the winds of geopolitical strife, nations like Thailand are tempted to cling to a stance of neutrality like a lifeline. Yet when neutrality becomes indifference to the lives of its own citizens, one must question the merit of such a stance. How many lives must be lost, how many innocent Thais must perish before Thailand’s foreign policy manifests the vigor that its people deserve?

The horrific news from the Israel-Hamas conflict is a grim tally: 21 Thai nationals killed, 14 taken hostage. We are all united in mourning, but we must ask, where is the outrage from our government? Families huddle at Suvarnabhumi International Airport, a grim tableau of despair and disbelief, as they await the arrival of their wounded loved ones.

Videos circulate on social media that none of us ever wanted to see—evidence of the cruel fate of a fellow Thai citizen. Still, our Ministry of Foreign Affairs remains reticent, choosing neutrality over action. One is prompted to wonder: is our ministry so toothless?

by Arun Saronchai

Full story: THAI ENQUIRER 2023-10-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

IMHO the government of a country is (in part) responsible for their citizens in their country.

And they are responsible for officials who are sent to other countries.

And that's it.

The moment when I left my home country, I cut my ties with them. If I get sick in Thailand or I am kidnapped or whatever, it is my problem. Because it was my free decision to come here.

And that is obviously the same with Thais who left Thailand to work in Israel to make more money over there. It was the decision of those people. And anybody who travels to Israel should know there is some risk.

When people return to their home country, and are alone and bankrupt, then the responsibility of the government starts again.

Why should Thai taxpayers pay for the support of Thais who decided to leave Thailand? 

Agree 100%.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

IMHO the government of a country is (in part) responsible for their citizens in their country.

And they are responsible for officials who are sent to other countries.

And that's it.

The moment when I left my home country, I cut my ties with them. If I get sick in Thailand or I am kidnapped or whatever, it is my problem. Because it was my free decision to come here.

And that is obviously the same with Thais who left Thailand to work in Israel to make more money over there. It was the decision of those people. And anybody who travels to Israel should know there is some risk.

When people return to their home country, and are alone and bankrupt, then the responsibility of the government starts again.

Why should Thai taxpayers pay for the support of Thais who decided to leave Thailand? 

I totally disagree, my government should protect its citizens at home and abroad if they are travelling in countries where we have embassies.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Often people are asked if the government should pay for this or that.

That is the wrong question. The question should be: Are you, as a taxpayer, willing to pay for this and that? Are you responsible for people who left the country on their own free will?

Presumably those posters that feel a government is responsible for its citizens overseas, believe that government should also have the right to control where they are allowed to travel.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

I totally disagree, my government should protect its citizens at home and abroad if they are travelling in countries where we have embassies.

It would be delusional to think any government can "protect" it's citizens abroad. All they can do is consider assistance in the event of an emergency, Thailand provided repatriation flights during the pandemic.

As far as Israel is concerned, they will pay little attention to anything that Thailand has to say, or any other country.

It would be arrogant for anyone to think they can understand the Israeli rationale, bearing mind the Holocaust is still within living memory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

It would be delusional to think any government can "protect" it's citizens abroad. All they can do is consider assistance in the event of an emergency, Thailand provided repatriation flights during the pandemic.

As far as Israel is concerned, they will pay little attention to anything that Thailand has to say, or any other country.

It would be arrogant for anyone to think they can understand the Israeli rationale, bearing mind the Holocaust is still within living memory.

The ridiculous money I spend for taxes and military in my country says otherwise, they have a duty to protect their citizens. If not, then they should explicitly says so upon any travel outside of the country, that way when it hits their bottom line financially they can smarten up and do their jobs!

• Like 2

"What is a Thai life worth to the government?"

The problem here is, it's not really a valid question. It's a rhetorical question, only. No matter what the answer is, it will be wrong in the eyes of some, and right in the eyes of others.

It's a lot like asking "What is the meaning of life?" It's a question that can never be answered because it's the wrong question!

Asking "What is the meaning of life?" makes about as much sense as asking, "What is the meaning of a chair?" or "What is the meaning of a refrigerator?"

Purpose They serve a purpose. They don't have "meaning."

It is not the job of government to put a baht value on the lives of it's citizens. That is not what government is for. That's not their purpose.

Government's job is to concern itself with the needs of populations, not individuals. 

So, the correct answer to the , "What is a Thai life worth to the government?" is......

"Sorry, that's the wrong question."

It's not now...... and never has been........ the role of government to define the worth of an individual.

1 hour ago, Chris Daley said:

I think the rule is you don't pay kidnappers anymore.  Because they will keep doing it.

Israel had, in the past, agreed to release thousands of Palestinians to secure the release of captives and hostages.

What is a Thai life worth to the government?

Well long answer is

when you turn  60 your worth 600 baht a month

70 is 700 baht a month

80 is 800 baht a month

90 is 900 baht a month

Short answer is

not much ????

About the Israel deal as sandy said

" It would be delusional to think any government can "protect" it's citizens abroad. "

Especially ones that chose to work in a place like Israel

Edited by mania

21 minutes ago, Emdog said:

The "deal" between citizens and governments is something of a social contract; You look out for me and I'll look out for you.

If government is in the right ignoring a citizen who gets into a jam in a foreign country, then it would be fair for citizens to refuse to serve the government if a war broke out outside the country. "I'm not going to fight until the enemy is inside our borders.... until then it's not my problem"

Of course, this all depends on the form of government.

In a Representative Republic, the "social contract" is that you, as a citizen, will have a say in who represents you. But that's effectively where your "say" ends.

In a Representative Republic, we elect people to make decisions for us. And our "social contract" in that arrangement is that we will abide by what they decide.

WE get to decide who will make the decisions. THEY get to decide what those decisions will be.

Nothing in that "social contract" says we then get to decide for ourselves willy-nilly what rules we will follow, and what rules we won't!

So no, that "social contract" you're describing is one you'd apparently like to have for yourself. But it's NOT the one you have with a Representative form of government!

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Presumably those posters that feel a government is responsible for its citizens overseas, believe that government should also have the right to control where they are allowed to travel.

To be fair, countries have travel recommendations for their citizens.

And (travel) insurance companies have conditions like they don't pay if people travel to places which are in some risk category.

23 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

WE get to decide who will make the decisions. THEY get to decide what those decisions will be.

When did you last get to pick the candidates on the ballot forms.

No need to answer, it was never.

"WE get to vote on which unsuitable candidate makes the decisions" is more realistic.

And that's only if you believe that your votes are counted, personally, I'm not so sure they do count our votes.

In Thailand I'm fairly sure they don't count the votes.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

I thought after seeing many motor vehicle accidents, that a human life was worth just 40,000 baht in Thailand? The Siam Paragon incident broke the mold though, its now over 6 million baht.

I think it depends on the nationality of the deceased.. if you get my drift.

most here jump to value life in terms of money, but governments value life in terms of effort. did Thailand set up a hotline number for refugees to call to get extracted? no? a website or any point of contact to help it's citizens? no? sending planes to extract? look at what the Thai gov't has/hasn't done to help it's stranded citizens and you'll have the answer. the hard truth is Thai citizenship isn't valued and won't get you much in the world, as most Thais would rather escape Thailand instead of returning to it, unless one is in a war zone of course.

23 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

The ridiculous money I spend for taxes and military in my country says otherwise, they have a duty to protect their citizens.

No, it doesn't mean that at all.

But there are nations that think they have a god given right to tell other countries how to conduct their affairs.

23 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

It's a lot like asking "What is the meaning of life?" It's a question that can never be answered because it's the wrong question!

The definitive answer is 42. It is defined in that universal textbook 'Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy' compiled by Douglas Adams 

15 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

most here jump to value life in terms of money, but governments value life in terms of effort. did Thailand set up a hotline number for refugees to call to get extracted? no? a website or any point of contact to help it's citizens? no? sending planes to extract? look at what the Thai gov't has/hasn't done to help it's stranded citizens and you'll have the answer. the hard truth is Thai citizenship isn't valued and won't get you much in the world, as most Thais would rather escape Thailand instead of returning to it, unless one is in a war zone of course.

The Royal Thai Embassy in Israel discontinued doing extraneous jobs and has been focused almost exclusively on helping Thai people in Israel ----- Those who want to stay and those who want to leave. There was no need to set up special phone numbers or websites, because THE EMBASSY was doing all that, already. Note the  "evacuation request" screenshot I took from the thai embassy website. It is dated Oct 8.

Screenshot_2023-10-17-11-44-48-95_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.edd79c2e42453ec14de0c29b6cc1c842.jpg

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy
  • Thanks 2

On 10/16/2023 at 10:52 AM, BritManToo said:

When did you last get to pick the candidates on the ballot forms.

No need to answer, it was never.

"WE get to vote on which unsuitable candidate makes the decisions" is more realistic.

And that's only if you believe that your votes are counted, personally, I'm not so sure they do count our votes.

In Thailand I'm fairly sure they don't count the votes.

The ballots I have filled out always had a place for writing-in my choice. So I've ~ALWAYS~ had a chance to put the person I want on the ballot.

If I...... or anyone else...... want to appear on a pre-printed ballot, all I have to do is meet the extremely easy qualifications, and register as a candidate.

Frankly, the question, "When did you last get to pick the candidates on the ballot forms" is silly in the extreme. The people who stepped-up to run for a certain office DO appear on the ballot. If they....... (or I)..... DID NOT step up? Then our names WON'T be on the ballot. 

(I should clarify, though, that I'm talking about United States politics, not Thailand. That's where I'm from; those are the only politics I'm qualified to discuss.

I never get involved in Thai politics----I don't even try. I'm nowhere near well-informed enough to discuss Thai politics intelligently: Different country..... Different Constitution....... Different culture........ Different politics....... Different history......... A Monarchy......... And....... A situation that's way too fluid and unstable.

***Checking my watch***

"What time is the next coup, again?" ????)

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy

It depends on whose life.

The life of an Isaan peasant is not worth much to the government but they can't afford to look bad to the voters. 

The life of a police sergeant killed by a rich kid is worth nothing to the government or even the police. 

• Thanks 1