Casual observations /questions from a newly arrived Farang from America

charleskerins

New and sorry to say, a bit green behind the ears.

First of all besides the healthy food there is plenty of unhealthy food. Just look at the tons of fried food. 

As to safety on the job is has improved a lot over the years but same like in the USA things don't happen overnight. It took you guys a few decades to where you are now.

Last but not least I'm a dog owner. If you address dogs with your subject then I see bad things happening to dogs in the western world too. Not much of a difference there. Should you refer to women with that subject then I wonder how you treat them if you call them man's best friend. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have lived here for 7 years and many on this forum have lived here for decades.  i am from Southern California and find most Thai food not to my liking.  Too much of it is fried and I can tell most of the oil is poor quality. I prefer salads with olive oil, whole grain breads, and fruit smoothie without the added sugar syrup.  The Thai people I have met like sugar in food and drinks.  I have to make it really specific when I order coffee or drinks:  "MAE WON".  No sweet/ No sugar.  Sometimes they still add sugar syrup.  

Another question to ask might be:  How often do you get food poisoning?  For me at least once or twice a year. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

Think maybe my doctor was right " Thai food is packed with vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients. Many of the dishes are loaded with fresh vegetables and packed with protein for a nutritional meal. Several of the dishes that use spices and herbs will also provide added health benefits."

Thai food has the potential to be as healthy as any other foods. The problem is in who prepares it. I've had Thai hundreds of times before I moved here in the US, where there are stringent regulations and checks on restaurants, where they have to pass a health exam to stay in business. Here it's very lax, and of course there is the thousands of shops and stalls which aren't regulated. The ingredients in Thai food, the basics being meat, fish, eggs , vegetables and fruit aren't the problem, nor are the fresh spices put in, along with fresh oil. It's oil that's been left out and reused many times, on different days, the overuse of salt and sugar in many dishes, something that doesn't happen in the restaurants I've visited back in the states. Meat that's been left out all day, gathering more bacteria, and hopefully fully cooked because of it. I've never had more stomach trouble in my life than since I've lived here. I eat the same things I ate back home, which I never had trouble from, with the addition of Thai food cooked locally.

• Thumbs Up 2