OPINION: “I’m a pooyai!” – The dilemma of “respect” in Thai culture

webfact

1 hour ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Respect has to be earned, years ago when in the military, you respected the Rank but sometimes NOT the holder. Same here in Thailand teachers, POLICE ETC DEMAND REspect, well from my point of view they do not get it, I am always polite but never submissive or fawning .

That may lead to a problem but remaining politely distant is a way of dealing with that. THIS CULTURE IS changing but oh so slow as those who used to get respect automatically no longer receive the sam e reverence and they do not like it . I find ignoring them ios the best way to deal with them. 

I wonder if Thai people do respect POLICE and other Thai Government workers who they all know are so corrupt and often use their position to their own advantage ? 

• Like 1

Just now, cracker1 said:

I wonder if Thai people do respect POLICE and other Thai Government workers who they all know are so corrupt and often use their position to their own advantage ? 

Certainly not in my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

It is soo 19t century... People are being brainwashed from kids that pooyai knows everything and should be listen to. It creates problems as the pooyai's think they have power and can do whatever they want as they are protected by the idea that they are are higher than other people.. The whole system should be reviewed and be abolished.. Respect must be earned.. and people have to work for it and show that they are worthy in their behavior to be respected, not what several people are doing now because they are so called more than others. 

Exactly.

• Like 2