Breathalyzer tests proposed for Thai nightlife venues

webfact

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

So, what are they going to do then? Let them sleep over in the bar?

Perhaps let them sleep it off in one of the upstairs rooms, and send an employee up with them to take care of them for the night..

Edited by Dexxter

51 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

I think a thumbs-down icon would be used more than any, but sadly missing.

For such a long time I wished there was an "angry" button, also missing. It seems that only positive icons are allowed. Keep the people happy if they like it or not.

• Like 1

The tears are running down my cheeks is it All Fools Day !!!!! As I thought that was always on April 1st who will be supplying and administering these breathalyser’s and what happens if the person refuses maybe it would be better to breathalyse those driving during the day time as many Thais espe The men drink morning ,noon and night !!!!

I mean, you just really would not believe this anymore. Like it is a parody news paper. The measure is complete horse s***t obviously but aside from that, plenty of people behave like animals after just 2-3 beers while others do fine after even 15 of them. These gov people must be aliens for sure.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai Ministry of Public Health is set to propose a policy where nightclubs and bars wishing to extend their operating hours would be required to administer alcohol breathalyzer tests to customers who may be too intoxicated to travel home safely.

Idiots.

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

So many reaction icons now available to use on AseanNow but I'm still waiting for a "shaking head in disbelief" one. Could have been used multiple times today, not least for this story!

As a brit I would like a Victor Meldrew icon with his favourite catchphrase. "I don't believe it" 

• Like 1

So several hundred people all leaving at 4:00am. Breatho is useless if alcohol still present in the mouth. You are meant to clean your mouth with water and not consume alcohol for 20 min. prior to blowing into the unit. More nonsence thought up by "the empty headed club of fools" that make policy on the run. It is completely unworkable but I bet someone's mate will make a fortune installing machines that will never see any real use.

p.s. I remember in Aus when breatherlizers were put in pubs. Useless. Who could get the highest reading was always a bit of fun though.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The breathalyser tests initiative is part of a broader plan by the ministry, led by Public Health Minister Cholnan Srikaew, to balance the government’s ambition to stimulate the economy

Yes, I can see how that would work...........................................NOT!

Bu some 'total coincidence' the activity of the Thai Ministry of Stupid Ideas seems to have increased since weed was legalised...........or not legalised...........or legalised...............or...................................

Most of us get sleepy when we smoke a joint but.......Amazing Thailand

7 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Breathalyzers cost money, it"LL never happen.

They need to be calibrated every few uses also.

Conservative think tank stupidity. 

During covid some bars charged you 100 baht for a covid test just to allow you into the bar.

Will this prove another opportunity for An*tin to provide "official" breathalysers ??

The proposal also includes the responsibility of these establishments to arrange transportation services for such patrons.

So would the establishment also pay for such transport, having decided that you should not be driving ?

Even if you're not the driver, so passengers can get home as well

Such laws (and even harsher laws) exists in many Western countries already many years.
Nothing new under the sun.
Except that the worst Western country has a police force that outcry the "Real Thai Pity (RTP)" a hundred times.
Way to go Thailand.
But don't worry, soon we will have CHINESE COPS roaming the streets of Thailand.
And China dictating Thailand what they can publish.

11 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

So, what are they going to do then? Let them sleep over in the bar?

The answer is in the second paragraph of the news article in the OP:

"The proposal also includes the responsibility of these establishments to arrange transportation services for such patrons."