Chinese police operating in other countries is nothing new

webfact

image.jpeg

Joint patrols with Chinese police outside China, to help handle the safety of Chinese tourists and interests, may be a new concept to Thai public, but China has had cooperation with Croatia, Italy and Serbia.

China’s Xinhua state news agency reported in July that China-Croatia joint police patrols would be conducted in Zagreb, Zadar, the Plitvice Lakes National Park as well as Dubrovnik, all of which are main tourist destinations in Croatia.

They conducted patrols in the four locations for a month to serve tourists, especially Chinese, in the country. The cooperation was the fourth of its kind since 2018.

TOP picture: Tourists take a selfie with Chinese police officers in Dubrovnik, Croatia, on Aug. 9, 2019. (Xinhua/Gao Lei)

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-11-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 6
  • Haha 1

It is understandable that it would make Chinese people feel more safe. It would me if police from my own country that spoke my language was there to assist me. 

But where I come from we call the , volunteer tourist police, or tour guides

If there is a problem with Chinese tourists , you can bet that similar problems occur to tourists of other nationalities. 

So are all other nationalities bring in their own police also?

IMO the thai goverment cut the tourism marketing crap . and concentrate in reforming their police force and or deploying more of it where it is needed.  

• Agree 1

How many lies this incompetent government tells, there is no official Chinese police in Italy as the Italian minister stated Piantedosi,

Here is a partial translation

Piantedosi's reply The Minister of the Interior, Matteo Piantedosi, responding to question time in the Chamber, said that "there is no authorization from the Department of Public Security regarding the activity" of Chinese centers for processing procedures in Italy and "I assure that the police forces, together with the intelligence, will carry out monitoring with the utmost attention, I will follow it personally and I do not rule out sanctioning measures in case of illegalities found". This matter, the minister said, "has no relevance to the police cooperation agreements and joint patrols between Italy and China which took place from 2016 to 2019". "Regarding the opening of an alleged Chinese police station in Prato - Piantedosi reported - the police immediately started investigations, from which it emerged that last March a Chinese cultural association opened a sort of desk for processing formalities administrative services aimed at compatriots in Italy, as well as a service for the renewal of Chinese driving licenses and for successions. To date it appears that the center no longer provides these services in which there has also been little interest, having only received 4 requests" . "On 16 November - continued the head of the Interior Ministry - a meeting was held at the Department of Public Security with the liaison officer of the Republic of China who confirmed what was declared by the leaders of the association. In any case - he added - Digos has informed the judicial authority of the elements acquired". "In-depth studies on other cities will be carried out," the minister continued. "At the moment there are no cases similar to that of Prato in Florence, Rome, Venice and Bolzano. Only in Milan is there an association that carries out administrative paperwork and further investigations are underway."

https://tg24.sky.it/cronaca/2022/12/08/caso-stazioni-polizia-cinesi-italia

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

It shows the quality of the Chinese tourists as they need Chinese policemen.. If you behave you don't need an own policeforce to control 

Are they required to police Chinese in Thailand, or protect their tourists from domestic criminal elements? Both suggest a domestic failing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The Italian "experiment" ended in 2022, and was a complete failure.

According to the BBC, the case that TAT mentioned about Italy is an agreement between China and Italy in 2015 that let Chinese police officers take part in joint patrols with Italian counterparts in Rome, Milan, Naples, and other centres in a bid to make Chinese tourists feel safe during the peak tourism period.

Chinese media CGTN also reported that Chinese police officers went to Italy to carry out joint patrols in May 2016 and June 2017. 

However, the joint patrols were “suspended” in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, and in December 2022, Italy has stopped this kind of operation after reports that Beijing ran police-like operations abroad.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2023/11/13/thai-government-denies-requesting-chinese-police-joint-patrols/

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

It is understandable that it would make Chinese people feel more safe. It would me if police from my own country that spoke my language was there to assist me. 

But where I come from we call the , volunteer tourist police, or tour guides

If there is a problem with Chinese tourists , you can bet that similar problems occur to tourists of other nationalities. 

So are all other nationalities bring in their own police also?

IMO the thai goverment cut the tourism marketing crap . and concentrate in reforming their police force and or deploying more of it where it is needed.  

People from different countries view their respective police forces differently. In some cases, unfavorably so. It is not a given that people would feel safer being handled by their 'own' police. For example, given the many news stories and public perceptions about the Thai police - not sure that Thai tourists would be thrilled having to deal with that abroad as well.

The language thing - yes. But this is maybe better handled by either incorporating more Chinese-speaking volunteers into the tourist police, or offering Chinese language classes to policemen.

• Thumbs Up 1

While they're already here to "look after" Chinese tourists, maybe they could also police unruly (Taiwan-friendly that is) Thai media outlets... :whistling:

OR, the Thai government could grow a pair and ensure that the Chinese government understands that Thailand is a sovereign country, and proudly so.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2023 at 4:19 AM, ezzra said:

The question asked, would China allow foreign police to come to China and engage in policing work? of course not, why have Thailand has allowed that to be? this is a mystery... 

Xi wants another foot in the door.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not a good idea. 

At home we consistently lie to our people, frankly we're not sure whether they believe it or not, but that's just the way we operate as a communist power mongering party.

We expect Thailand as a beneficiary of our largess to follow our rules and comply immediately. Whatever we ask must be done, after all we are the giant in the neighborhood and we do not wear our power lightly, so do as asked or face the consequences of our ire. 

Xi

I allow no personal freedom to my people. 

We harvest organs for profit and punishment. 

We oppress our minority populations. 

We barely allow any imports and make it difficult for companies to sell their products in China. 

We ignore territorial boundaries and claim ownership of the South China Sea. 

We are nearly the only nation to subscribe to a zero covid policy, even if it means putting millions out of work. 

I have just been appointment PM for life. Or, close to it. 

Impressive, huh? Want to be like us? 

Respect must be earned, and never freely given. Same applies to goodwill. China, do something to earn some goodwill. You want credibility on the world stage? Start behaving like a responsible nation. 

Stop behaving in a ridiculous manner, and like that of a bully, in the South China Sea. It has been centuries since a nation insisted it's territorial waters extended a thousand miles or more, from it's border. We would refer to that as self applied egg on the face. OK?

On 11/14/2023 at 11:15 AM, Morch said:

People from different countries view their respective police forces differently. In some cases, unfavorably so. It is not a given that people would feel safer being handled by their 'own' police. For example, given the many news stories and public perceptions about the Thai police - not sure that Thai tourists would be thrilled having to deal with that abroad as well.

The language thing - yes. But this is maybe better handled by either incorporating more Chinese-speaking volunteers into the tourist police, or offering Chinese language classes to policemen.

It is safe to assume that the CCP will use whatever means necessary to grow their influence, of every type, in as many other countries as possible.

All the explanations about language assistance, tourist protection, etc are simply ruses that the CCP believes will suffice to gain entry of their ranks into foreign countries.

The CCP considers every aspect of life as a battleground and wage their war continually in every way possible.

The best way to think about it is this:

If it benefits the CCP it will weaken their adversaries (the entire world). It is a zero sum game for the CCP and they intend to win it on every possible front.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

Like in the U.S.         we call them spies, or friends of Biden !

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your statement makes some kind of sense to you.

Sounds like word salad to the rest of us. Where did you learn this trick?

Nevermind, I think I know.