Thailand's Immigration Launches Automated Passport Control

webfact

3 hours ago, bkk_mike said:

No it's not. This isn't for check-in. It's for immigration.

It would presumably mean no exit stamp in your passport. How important that is for you is a different matter.

Yes Mike. On re-reading the OP, it is only to check your passport validity, visa status, overstay etc. Nothing to do with checking in for your flight, which can be done on-line, but you still have to queue up and check-in manually for certain destinations eg Dubai.

9 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

My best guess is that the 15 Dec 2023 date is one in which they might allow some non-Thais to use the EXISTING automated gates (which can only be used by Thais departing)? No clue how that can or will work?

The new machines, allowing for the higher capacities quoted, will hopefully be installed by 31 July 2024.

I assume that those who install and operate the machines DO have a clue. Why would you if you aren't a programmer or engineer?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Don Chance said:

If you fail passport control or overstay a robot will come out and shoot you with a laser

The gates are electrified and apply a painful jolt to the groin which incapacitates the suspect until an immigration official attends and overrides the system. The system has been tested extensively in Australia, NZ and Canada, albeit on swine. 

One thing I haven't seen explained here is what happens with the new automated exit control machines if they actually identify a "baddie" trying to leave the country???

Presumably the gate won't open to let the person proceed... But then what:

--the floor below opens to a downward chute that deposits the person into the airport's Immigration lower level detention facilities....

--Or, a nearby team of Thai SWAT officers armed with sniper rifles rush into action to subdue the "baddie".

--Or, the machine has a money slot to insert 20 1,000 baht bills, in which case, the "baddie" is allowed to go on their way!!!   :tongue:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One thing I haven't seen explained here is what happens with the new automated exit control machines if they actually identify a "baddie" trying to leave the country???

Presumably the gate won't open to let the person proceed... But then what:

--the floor below opens to a downward chute that deposits the person into the airport's Immigration lower level detention facilities....

--Or, a nearby team of Thai SWAT officers armed with sniper rifles rush into action to subdue the "baddie".

--Or, the machine has a money slot to insert 20 1,000 baht bills, in which case, the "baddie" is allowed to go on their way!!!   :tongue:

It's very simple, you scan your passport just like IO have with mobile apps, then it shows if you are OK, overstay or wanted. If that happens the light will be red instead of green and the gate won't open. A few IO can oversee entire rows of automated exit gates and will then obviously come to you, to further check you at a manual check-out. Simple as that.

In Netherlands they are even smarter, as you have to first get inside it, if you are then not good, you will be stuck in between of 2 doors like a cow who is about to get milked. Not sure if they also have those here soon.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It's very simple, you scan your passport just like IO have with mobile apps, then it shows if you are OK, overstay or wanted. If that happens the light will be red instead of green and the gate won't open. A few IO can oversee entire rows of automated exit gates and will then obviously come to you, to further check you at a manual check-out. Simple as that.

I like the "deposit 20K in the slot" option better!  :tongue:

A few IO can oversee entire rows of automated exit gates

Or, the IOs are all on lunch break or napping at the time, and the baddie just hops over the gate.... Thai style!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I like the "deposit 20K in the slot" option better!  :tongue:

Or, the IOs are all on lunch break or napping at the time, and the baddie just hops over the gate.... Thai style!

A simple AI camera would actually resolve that issue too. But I agree, just make it all digital and no more stamps. I also wonder if this stuff causes confusion later on, as you have these missing exit stamps in the passport. If the computer <deleted> up, and you have no stamp to proof it, that be a interesting story.

Then a automatic payment window with QR scan or notes insert for overstay fines lol. We joke about it now but likely true in the future. Vietnam already has those huge ATM machines with multiple displays where you can have appointments in video call for loans or what so ever lol.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I flew back to LAX earlier this year for the first time in several years.... The last time I was there back in 2019, they had just installed a bunch of automated passport reading terminals for processing arriving passengers, and I found those worked OK...

Flash forward to my trip earlier this year... Arrived LAX and looking around, all the machines are GONE, and the passenger queue waiting to be checked at the Border Patrol counters is a mile long.... Asked one of the staff nearby what happened to the former machines, and was told they were removed due to being deemed COVID risks!!!   Really.....no joke.

That's some real nonsense. But herding all the people into manual queues was deemed safer >< Well, just like they closed down all the open air chlorine swimming pools here...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

The Australian one often doesn't work. Curious, how long the Thai one will be in service...

Funny, considering your only option even if traveling with young children is to use the automated channels in Australia. They'll only allow you to be processed manually on arrival or on departure if you're disabled. Everyone else must use the automated channels..manual processing is sadly, becoming a thing of the past at Australian airports.

5 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

For thais they're already using the auto passport, so if you're with a thai kid, you have to leave her or him and use Foreigner line.

Nonsense. You use the family line together, which is in the priority entrance. Business class passengers, monks, the elderly and those with disabilities can also use the priority lane.

7 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

In other words a helpful tool for corrupt officials fleeing to Cambodia...

But, if the rumors are true, which I think they are, that person was helped? By him who we cannot name, and that person's elder relation helped him out a few years ago.

You scratch my back........

7 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

For thais they're already using the auto passport, so if you're with a thai kid, you have to leave her or him and use Foreigner line.

I watched the use of the Thai residents' auto machine from my adjacent long and winding queue for departure. For the max 10 people using the three machines, many had to have a person show them how to use. God help us.

7 hours ago, discrete said:

Travel lighter .... hand luggage only  .... a good solution when you have a home here

And live in the country you are visiting where nudity or hygiene don't matter.

4 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The check in staff only check if you have the correct visa, documentation etc to enter the country you are travelling to, they don’t look through your passport pages looking for stamps, it’s not in their mandate.
We did advise Border Control of the overstay every month but all we had were emails confirming it was ok. 

Not so in Madrid, when I left last year. The check in Iberia "check in clerk" (for want of a better description), was upping and downing on my UK passport (at Business Class) as to whether I could enter Thailand. I asked him to give me my passport so I could show him my Re-entry permit, (not that it is required for a UK citizen entering Thailand).

4 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

But you will be heading to the Departure Gate and long gone before they if they ever do get round to checking the scanning machines.

So how do other more tech savvy countries, like Singapore etc, manage ? If you are on overstay the Machine reading would not let you through. I like having my exit stamps as it’s easy to follow up dates . It’s a reminder and proof for someone going in and out regularly. 

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

A simple AI camera would actually resolve that issue too. But I agree, just make it all digital and no more stamps. I also wonder if this stuff causes confusion later on, as you have these missing exit stamps in the passport. If the computer <deleted> up, and you have no stamp to proof it, that be a interesting story.

Then an automatic payment window with QR scan or notes insert for overstay fines lol. We joke about it now but likely true in the future. Vietnam already has those huge ATM machines with multiple displays where you can have appointments in video call for loans or what so ever lol.

Yes, that  would be my worry having no stamp to prove exit . 

13 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Article states starting 15th December.

Who to believe???

15th December is "Prepare to start thinking about it" day. It takes a lot of preparation. Committees and subs to set up, appointees b̶r̶i̶b̶e̶d̶  briefed, chain of command established so blame for inevitable total fu lands as far away from <deleted>tah as possible, untraceable brown envelope trail, etc etc. This all takes time and an enormous budget. All hail Caesar! He who dares wins Rodney. This time next year....

10 hours ago, Conquerbrqvilok said:

Where is the gate of work permit and non-O holders? it doesn't make sense we queue up with tourists

How many gates do you think they have. Farang, tourist, O visa, what ever have automated immigration departure. Be happy!

1 hour ago, worldexpress said:

Singapore and many other first world countries have inbound auto gate systems. I guess they are not as concerned about their national security as Thailand.

Singapore's in bound auto passport lanes are only for Singapore citizens or resident visa holders.

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I flew back to LAX earlier this year for the first time in several years.... The last time I was there back in 2019, they had just installed a bunch of automated passport reading terminals for processing arriving international passengers, and I found those worked OK...

Flash forward to my trip earlier this year... Arrived LAX and looking around, all the machines are GONE, and the passenger queue waiting to be checked at the Border Patrol counters, even for U.S. citizens, is a mile long.... Asked one of the staff nearby what happened to the former machines, and was told they were removed due to being deemed COVID risks!!!   Really.....no joke.

They took out all the older Global Entry Machines where you had to scan passport and touch keys

Replaced by no touch Global Entry kiosks that scan your face only, and fewer in number. Why?

Now they are rolling out an APP you scan your own mug on your mobile as soon as you land. 

*But a few years ago ICE goons would approach you angry that dared to use your phone in the arrival hall. 555

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/global-entry-mobile-application#:~:text=The Global Entry Mobile App,at Global Entry approved sites.

Could contain:

Edited by Captain Monday

Congratulation to Thai Prime Minister Mr.Setha on the initiative.Τhis is a step forward in technology!

When the automatic passport control machines were used by Thai citizens they were good and now they are bad for foreigners?
Anyone who doesn't want to use them can just queue up and wait for the passport control visa.

In video the passenger has green color diplomatic passport and it is in USA airports.

Could contain: