Quality Medication

MangoKorat

As of next year I will need to buy 3 types medicine every month in Thailand.  It would be nice if it was possible to buy the same brands as I get in the UK but the main thing is that they are good quality and effective:  Is the only way to guarantee that by going to somewhere like Boots or are there other Pharmacies that supply decent quality medicines?

My concerns come from past experiences. Many years ago I had a stomach problem whilst in Thailand - something I often had when I was in the UK and took medicine as necessary. I went to a small Pharmacy and bought the same medicine but a different brand - it didn't work. By that time I was in a different city and visited another larger Pharmacy to ask their advice.  The Pharmacist took one look at the medicine that I'd bought and shook her head.  I asked her if it was a fake, she told me it wasn't really a fake but most likely contained a much lower dose of the actual medicine than claimed on the label - quite common apparently. I was given a propriety brand of the same stuff and my problem cleared up in a couple of hours.

The medicine I require now is far more important and I have to take it every day for life.

The three medicines are:

Atorvastatin 80mg

Amlodipine 5mg

Clopidogrel 75mg

Here in Australia you get to choose between original and generic medication that are just as good, try to look for them in Thailand,

when in Australia i ask my GP for 6 months supply of my meds which last me until my next visit to Australia...

Maybe I missed it, but you didn't say what city you live in?  If you live in Chiang Mai I would recommend "Peera Pharmacy" (095-456-5365). They carry a lot of the major brands that you won't find at places like Boots and etc. I have used them for over 7 years now and trust their medicine 100%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the op's name he most likely lives in Korat.

The meds he is seeking are for blood pressure and blood thinning

I take clopidogrel. After a visit to the heart hospital in Khon Kaen, I was given PLATOGRIX 75MG. This is, according to the box, manufactured in France . Whether or not it does what it is supposed to do I do not know, It is however far far cheaper than the clopidogrel I was first given by Bangkok Hospital

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

As of next year I will need to buy 3 types medicine every month in Thailand.  It would be nice if it was possible to buy the same brands as I get in the UK but the main thing is that they are good quality and effective:  Is the only way to guarantee that by going to somewhere like Boots or are there other Pharmacies that supply decent quality medicines?

My concerns come from past experiences. Many years ago I had a stomach problem whilst in Thailand - something I often had when I was in the UK and took medicine as necessary. I went to a small Pharmacy and bought the same medicine but a different brand - it didn't work. By that time I was in a different city and visited another larger Pharmacy to ask their advice.  The Pharmacist took one look at the medicine that I'd bought and shook her head.  I asked her if it was a fake, she told me it wasn't really a fake but most likely contained a much lower dose of the actual medicine than claimed on the label - quite common apparently. I was given a propriety brand of the same stuff and my problem cleared up in a couple of hours.

The medicine I require now is far more important and I have to take it every day for life.

The three medicines are:

Atorvastatin 80mg

Amlodipine 5mg

Clopidogrel 75mg

For me, Boots and Watson are more cosmetic shops than pharmacies. Real pharmacies, at least in Chiang Mai, are Pharma Choice and Fascino. Atorvastatin is available there without prescription, whereby 80 mg seems extremly hight to me - I'm using it myself in the strength of 10 or max. 20 mg. The other two products are unknown to me. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

The three medicines are:

Atorvastatin 80mg

Amlodipine 5mg

Clopidogrel 75mg

Atorvastatin you can only get 40 mg over here. Its very expensive. Lipitor is the name but try and get a Thai generic equivalent. I had to buy some a few years ago during Covid when I stayed here longer. I usually bring from my doctor in the UK. 

Clopidogrel are you sure you need this long term? Doctors tend to switch to aspirin for long term maintainance.

Amlodipine is available.

Suggest you consult MIMS

https://www.mims.com/thailand

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

Here in Australia you get to choose between original and generic medication that are just as good, try to look for them in Thailand,

when in Australia i ask my GP for 6 months supply of my meds which last me until my next visit to Australia...

Thailand is not Australia bro, not same same.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

There are numerous quality pharmacies in Thailand, might be different chains in different parts of the country.

If you do a bit of Google-work, you can check if there are identical brands of the medicine in question – it might have to do with if the product is still under patent or not – brands with equal active ingredients will have same effect.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, jimn said:

Clopidogrel are you sure you need this long term? Doctors tend to switch to aspirin for long term maintainance.

Yes, I've just had 3 strokes (little ones mind).

My doc may change the meds in future, no idea really, its all a bit new to me.  All I know is he said I need to take these for life if I want to live a 'normal' life.

There is a possibility that the Amlodipine dose might actually have to go up.  My BP is around 135 (on the current dose) and the doc says that seeing as I've already had strokes, he rather it was in the 120's.

Edited by MangoKorat

4 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

From the op's name he most likely lives in Korat.

Correct Nick but actually, you know exactly where I live :wink:.

As It appears we have the same problem - there's one sure fire way to check if the meds are working.  I check my blood pressure every week using a £20 machine - worth its weight on gold.

I take numerous medications.  When I lived in Bangkok I used a small local pharmacy near my condo in Asoke.  I also used some others.  Sometimes they had certain medications and not.  It was hot and miss sometimes.  And when I mentioned a generic sometimes they were unaware of what generic meant. 
I can only recommend you go to a pharmacy that is fairly popular in your 
area.  And has hopefully an English speaking pharmacist there to ask questions.  

22 hours ago, Finspin said:

Must be a local thing with your GP in the UK.

My GP in Hertfordshire issues repeat prescriptions on a 3 month supply basis.

Yeah well I will beat them.  I order online and when the prescription is ready, I get a text message with a PIN code for the automated collection machine.  I'll be coming home at least twice per year so I'll just place my order online and get my daughter to collect my medication. I should therefore, only have to buy the meds in Thailand for 6 months.