How to lifve in Thailand, retired, for a year, and best beach place. Finance is a bit short.

I am now retired and just about divorced.  Age is 74. I have been to Thailand 9 or 10 temes and love it. Not Big places like Bangkok or Patong, but love Chiang Mia, except in February.

Been to Golden Triangle, Krabi, and heaps more. 

Can anyone here suggest a relaxing place and the costs, and visas I will need? (Australian). Sorry for the depth.

Cheers

Kermit

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

What is your monthly budget? It is hard to tell what options you would have, you can easily avoid any of the visa issues by also sometimes travelling to Vietnam etc. Aside from that, I expect us westerners to get at least 45 days on arrival if not 90 days on arrival next year, as they are that desperate for tourists by that time.

Would not do any visa in australia as it likely cost you time and money, you can just arrive on 30 days, extend that with 30 days, and then make a plan or do a visa trip to Laos / Vietnam etc. If you have all the time in the world and don't mind to ''slow travel'' it can still be inexpensive.

When the OP says Finance is a bit short one can assume visa runs to Vietnam are not an option.

• Agree 1

Are you planning to remain in Thailand, retired, or is this just a one-year visit then return to Australia?

If one year and return, don't bother with the non-O.  Get the METV for nine months.  I assume you could then leave for Cambodia for a couple weeks, then return on a visa waiver for 30 days, plus a 30-day extension.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If finance is short forget a nice beach. Pattaya is probably the OP's best bet. Plenty of really cheap accommodation options there. Just have to look and in a Thai residential area.

Yes, also OP mentioned he was 74, so access to decent medical care should be factored into any decision.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

If one year and return, don't bother with the non-O.  Get the METV for nine months.  I assume you could then leave for Cambodia for a couple weeks, then return on a visa waiver for 30 days, plus a 30-day extension.

METV gives 60 days + 30 days extension, then a border run required to get another 60 days + extension to make 6 months and another border run + extension to go to nine months

Fees: METV 6900 Baht (A$300), 3 extensions 5700, 2 border runs 7000 = 19,600

To then get the other visa exempt border run + extension to make 11 months is 5400, so 25,000 total for 11 months

This means getting 16 months through visa exempt + agent is the same cost, without having to do 3 border runs and 3 extensions at immigration (or do it yourself non-imm O + 12 month extension only 3900 baht)

Edited by Pattaya57

@Kermit2404  Since knowing only 1 year, I really wouldn't bother with long term visa, as someone suggested METV, would seem easier.

Hua Hin is a good suggestion as is Pattaya, but beach is a stretch, and good to look at at least.  I live In Prachaup, and wouldn't really recommend, unless you can entertain yourself.  Also no public trans.

HH & Patts have decent baht bus system, and plenty of easy shopping.  The 2 chains stores at Prachuap, require transport, and taxis don't really exit here.  Unless plan on living out of 7-11, and not exactly a bad thing, supplemented with fresh market.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bignok said:

Prachuap is relaxing. 1 hour south of Hua Hin.

Nong Khai.

Cha Am, 30 minutes north of HH. Nice and relaxed, fairly 'Thai' and budget accommodation available. Can get busy at weekends and national holidays, but so does (all of) Prachuap. 

You can get reasonable and cheap digs in Pattaya and it can be a cheap place to live if you steer clear of the bars and gogogirls. Unfortunately you have to travel out of town if you want to swim in the sea.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If finance is short forget a nice beach. Pattaya is probably the OP's best bet. Plenty of really cheap accommodation options there. Just have to look and in a Thai residential area.

I agree.  Pattaya is a good choice.  There is a large supply of housing with many economical choices.  Housing is often the biggest monthly expense so this is important if your budget is tight.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kermit2404 said:

I am now retired and just about divorced.  Age is 74. I have been to Thailand 9 or 10 temes and love it. Not Big places like Bangkok or Patong, but love Chiang Mia, except in February.

Been to Golden Triangle, Krabi, and heaps more. 

Can anyone here suggest a relaxing place and the costs, and visas I will need? (Australian). Sorry for the depth.

Cheers

Kermit

Have a look at Prachuap Khiri Khan 

Kermit,

it's always good to plan, but until the "just about divorced" status changes, keep planning.

You could end up skinned and skint living in a flop hotel on Soi Arinothai 2, eating street soup and walking a kilometer to the beach.

Budget that at B250/day (beer not included)