Foreign Man Hit, Killed By Car In Pattaya

webfact

image.jpeg

AN UNIDENTIFIED foreign man died after being hit by a car while crossing a road in Pattaya soon after midnight last night (Dec. 5) with the driver blaming him for suddenly jumping in front of his vehicle, TV Channel 7 said.

The accident occurred at 12.16 a.m. on the inbound side of Sukhumvit road running through South Pattaya. Rescuers rushed there and performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) but were unable to save his life.

Upon being questioned, the unidentified 54-year-old driver of a multi-purpose vehicle (MPV)  said he was driving to Bangkok at normal speed. Soon after passing through traffic lights he claimed the foreign man jumped in front of his vehicle from such a short distance he was unable to brake in time.

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2023-12-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 6
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, lambaci said:

there are hundreds of drunk tourists around pattaya walking on the terrible streets of thailand. drivers should be double cautious when driving there. I don't say driver or tourist is responsible but if i drive car there i would be extra alarmed. 

i am sorry for driver also the tourist. one lost life one life ruined.

tragedy

Even more worrying there are many drunk drivers around Pattaya in general.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Good point..... 

The way they drive here one might expect they had been red for several seconds and the pedestrian thought himself safe. 

Many years ago when I lived just over Suk, I would try to cross to get a M/C taxi home from the far side..... (having got there in a songtaew).... pedestrians are not given much consideration by the design of the roads. 

The combination of red light runners and green light jumpers makes crossing at a traffic light dangerous, almost as dangerous as crossing via a pedestrian crossing! Personally, I'm a pedestrian bridge crossing man myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

The combination of red light runners and green light jumpers makes crossing at a traffic light dangerous, almost as dangerous as crossing via a pedestrian crossing! Personally, I'm a pedestrian bridge crossing man myself.

Yes, I can't recall if one is available near where this happened, but usually they are away from the junction, and I know myself, climbing all those steps with a gallon of beer in my belly makes me worry I will have a heart attack. And sometimes dodgy character's linger up there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Does anyone really 'jump' in front of a moving car?

Yes.  It happened to my Dad years ago.  He was driving in the evening and a man jumped in front of his car.  My Dad was an excellent driver but he could not stop in time.  The police found a suicide note on the man who died and apparently he was known to have mental issues.  Although my Dad was not at fault he said that what happened affected him for a long time.  

• Sad 1

Pattaya can be a dangerous place when crossing the road, drinking in a bar, riding a motorbike, renting a jetski, renting a beach chair, buying from the market, watching kick boxing with drunk thais, being on walking street after midnight .... and many more instances where one has to be focused and on guard at all times otherwise you could end up dead.   Just saying ....

On one of my first trips to Thailand, I remember looking the wrong way when stepping out into the street. Even now, when going and coming to my home country where we drive on the other side, it takes me about 3 days of careful driving to remember what lane to turn into at intersections.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 11:18 AM, CHdiver said:

If a tourist is from a country where they drive on the right side, he may have looked the wrong way (for thai traffic) and entered the road. That could explain this situation. 

So, before coming to Thailand, it is best to spend a few months in Hong Kong.

The drivers there are very meticulous about not running over Farang who look the wrong way.

The HK taxis have much experience.

So, spend time in HK before coming to Thailand.

56 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Some like to jump in front of moving trains.

Don't ask me why.

It could be simpler.... some react to the little green walking man light  by crossing the road, some react to a green light turning red, by speeding up.