Best way to fly BKK to US west cost?

GypsyT

Max time my legs can take is 7h. I need one stop. I try to find best route from BKK to SEA, LAX or my destination Las Vegas.

Any advice?

I use skyscanner,com to search but unsure what to use.

PS. I used to fly LAS - Hawaii (KOA & HNL) -Japan (Osaka &Tokyo) - BKK but I was near DOA at BKK.

Edited by GypsyT

You might want to check out trans-polar routes.  I did it once on Eva (I think) more than 15 years back. Bkk-Taipei-Anchorage, I was heading for NYC.  Can't recall flight times.

Did Detroit-Tokyo via the pole also, that was in the United family.

• Like 1

Can you cross the pacific in under 7 hours? Flights via Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Japan are longer than 7 hours to west coast. That leaves  stopping in Korea before flying trans Pac or via Hawaii. I do not know the leg’s air time for either route. Both could easily be longer  than 7 hours, but that would be where to look.

And via Anchorage, as Bendejo posted, flying from north asia.

Edited by Dcheech
  • Agree 1

China Airlines gave me a free upgrade to business class years ago, can't ever go back to economy again. LOTS of room - the seat reclines all the way to a bed. Small, but much better on the legs. As well, you have access to their lounges.

I JUST finished a reservation from Bangkok to San Francisco, $3509 USD. Las Vegas is just a short jaunt from there.

Additional notes: I usually fly EVA but they have NO business class flights available for the March-April dates I wanted, AND China was a little less expensive.

Fly from Thailand to LAX twice a year.  The 7 hour limit is the problem.  Have flown the following routes over the years.

1. BKK-SIN-LAX.  BKK to SIN is about 3 hours but the SIN to LAX can be 17 hours nontstop or a two hour stop in NRT(NRT to LAX is 10 hours)

2. BKK-HKG-LAX (BKK to HKG is under 7 hours)

3. BKK-TPE-LAX and this is similar to #2

4. BKK-ICN-LAX. BKK to ICN is 5 hours and then 10 hours to LAX

i can only recommend paying for Premium Economy or go reallly big and pay for Business.   The cheapest Business Class on this route is usually PAL with a stop in Manila.  Of course the experience on PAL can vary.  

3 hours ago, Dcheech said:

Can you cross the pacific in under 7 hours?

No you can't.

Nearest usable stop is Tokyo.

Distance to the westcoast (literally) on direct line is about 7600 km (4700 mi).

Not doable in 7 hours.

Tokyo to Hawaii is about 7 hours nonstop (popular frequent route) :smile:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

Try BKK to NRT to HNL. Spend 2 nights 3 days there in the sunshine . Get a direct flight to Vegas from there. Jet lag should be much better for the long layover and all legs about 7 hours or less.

Edited by degrub
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, GypsyT said:

but total traveling time killed me..

A fact is a fact. Can't shrink the earth.

For a longer trip, try Lima in Peru :smile:

Quite opposite to Bangkok, 20000 km (12500 mi) direct line.

Edited by KhunBENQ

13 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

A fact is a fact. Can't shrink the earth.

For a longer trip, try Lima in Peru :smile:

Quite opposite to Bangkok, 20000 km (12500 mi) direct line.

But worth it for the ceviche and the causa a la limeña 😊

The shortest trans-Pacific commercial flights are Tokyo (TYO, includes Haneda & Narita airports) to Seattle (SEA) or Vancouver (YVR), about nine hours.  So, you could fly BKK-TYO-SEA/YVR-LAS.

Checking TYO-SEA, it's flown non-stop by ANA (NH), Japan Airlines (JL) and Delta (DL).  NH codeshares with United (UA) and THAI (TG).  And JL codeshares with Alaska Airlines (AS) and American (AA).  So, check itineraries on the NH, JL, DL, UA, TG AS & AA websites for tickets, looking specifically for flying via SEA.

On 12/10/2023 at 3:33 PM, GypsyT said:

Correct! That's what I used 2 times but total traveling time killed me...

Non single  leg was over 7h.

You really are not going to get under 7 hrs. Pretty much impossible. Consider business class ( a few mentioned and you didn't respond ) or premium economy on ANA via Tokyo and West coast or Cathay Pacific via HOng Kong and west coast. Premium economy on these flights use a cradle rocket seat ( the person in back of you is not affected when you stretch out or get up, there is a lot of extra leg room , it reclines much farther than economy , had a little more width , on Cathay's A350-900 even the aisle seat side, next to aisle can open OUTWARD so you can get out of seat into aisle super easy. Note that not all legs may be premium economy on all flights but the long sections are for sure. Usually there is a food upgrade too. Round trips about $2300+ one ways $1250+ Kayak.com I find better than sky scanner.  You can get from BKK to HKG to LA to  Vegas in 21 hours. BKK to Tokyo to San Fran to Vegas 20.5 hours. 

Edited by alex8912

On 12/10/2023 at 10:12 AM, GypsyT said:

Max time my legs can take is 7h. I need one stop. I try to find best route from BKK to SEA, LAX or my destination Las Vegas.

Any advice?

PS. I used to fly LAS - Hawaii (KOA & HNL) -Japan (Osaka &Tokyo) - BKK but I was near DOA at BKK.

The reverse way you just described always takes longer ( each segment ) flying West coast USA to BKK. There are absolutely no legs under 7 hrs unless you fly through Honolulu and then the entire trip door to door is much longer as you know. 

On 12/10/2023 at 10:12 AM, GypsyT said:

Any advice?

We went with Singapore Airlines, business class. Phuket /singapore/L. A. 

Singapore to L. A. 17 hours. At the time 5y ago 129,000 baht each. Food, everything great. 

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

The reverse way you just described always takes longer ( each segment ) flying West coast USA to BKK. There are absolutely no legs under 7 hrs unless you fly through Honolulu and then the entire trip door to door is much longer as you know. 

Yes, looks like there's non better than the one I flew last time.

May take BKK-NRT-HNL-KOA, then a few days in $ 100/nite coffee shack before KOA-LAX-LAS. All legs less than 7h.

OR fly to Las Palmas, Spain via Doha and Oslo. Max leg 7h25min.

Edited by GypsyT

7 hrs is too short. Best you can probably do is a Star Alliance Airline aisle seat and overnight layover at an airport with a capsule hotel attached to the terminal.

Now, I can get a full leg stretch with an aisle seat almost the full flight using the isle on these overnight flights. Just make sure the trolley's not coming.

Edited by JimTripper

I don't think that you can keep your flight from BKK to the west coast of the USA under 7 hours.  Definitely can't on the return trip when it's even longer.  As others have said, book a business class or Premium economy seat.  That should help a lot.  Personally. I prefer EVA and China Airlines with both going through Taipei.  

2 hours ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

Air Asia has a cheap flight from Japan to Hawaii

Anyone here ever taken that flight? I've always wondered about it...  What's it like?

The prices can be pretty good for a trans-Pacific flight. But I'm afraid it would be a long... stretch of cattle-car seating just like Air Asia's domestic flights.

skyscanner gave better price by Japan Airlines which has excellent service and seats.

Tony Fernandes also was dishonest to Formula 1 drivers - didn't pay millions of salaries. I boycott him and his companies for that.