Thai taxi turmoil: Fare fight leaves traveller abandoned on road to Pattaya (video)

webfact

Can't find where she started.

When I need a taxi from airport to Pattaya I use old fashioned prebooking.

1000 incl toll.

No discussion. No hassle. No bad mood.

Usually give a 100 tip.

For me it looks like these app based hailing services are overrated here.

Once had one from Phuket airport and also on the way back.

Spare details but both troublesome experiences.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The woman explained that she booked an app-based driver via the ride-hailing application, Bolt . The fare on the app was 1,217 baht, excluding the toll fees which were about 200 baht (...)

So, was that actually the Bolt taxi? If so, I wouldn't pay a penny more (if not a tip) than it said on the app.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The driver uncovered a black cloth covering the meter and told her he wanted the fare on the meter, not in the app. The fare on the meter was 1,300 baht and would increase if she continued.

Rather dubious to say the least.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, keith101 said:

I had friends come from Aus to play golf and have fun so on the way back to the airport in a taxi that the price was agreed on he pulled over halfway on highway 7 said he wanted more to which they said no he took a u-turn and told them to get out if they dont pay more and drove off when they wouldn't leaving them stranded maybe the same guy who knows 

Why did they leave the taxi?

If I'm really stuck, usually at night, in Bangkok I use the LINE taxi app.  For planned longer trips I use a booking service.

LINE drivers show up and they use the meter +20 Baht ...

I get my metered taxi and they get a tip, only app I'll use

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Thanks 1

He’ll get reported have to make an ingenious apology to her and a small insignificant fine, thats why these price gauging stories are heard time and time again. Traffic light point system 

first offense fine (green)

second offense fine and 30 day license suspension (amber)

third offense license revoked for 12 months (if caught operating without a license mandatory 3 months jail sentence)

Thailand makes things difficult for itself because there are no severe consequences for their actions, in this day and age with social media every tourist and local getting ripped off post the interaction on social media which damages the tourist industry and locals confidence in taxi services and apps

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

I think that’s a little overkill…

oh, really? Somewhere on the road where she has to depend on help from whoever comes along?.....................this is not the Thailand of the 80s/90s but Thailandistan of the 2020s after the chinese plague and during the next maoist invasion, putting everyone on economic and emotional edge .....not unlike the rest of the world.

• Confused 4

1 minute ago, Marco51 said:

oh, really? Somewhere on the road where she has to depend on help from whoever comes along?.....................this is not the Thailand of the 80s/90s but Thailandistan of the 2020s after the chinese plague and during the next maoist invasion, putting everyone on economic and emotional edge .....not unlike the rest of the world.

Take a chill pill mate!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

I had friends come from Aus to play golf and have fun so on the way back to the airport in a taxi that the price was agreed on he pulled over halfway on highway 7 said he wanted more to which they said no he took a u-turn and told them to get out if they dont pay more and drove off when they wouldn't leaving them stranded maybe the same guy who knows 

Which is why I always insisted on using the meter and refusing to get in if the driver wanted to negotiate. It's a common scam.

They thought they were saving money and found out that they were not in Aus any more.

1 hour ago, expat_4_life said:

If I'm really stuck, usually at night, in Bangkok I use the LINE taxi app.  For planned longer trips I use a booking service.

LINE drivers show up and they use the meter +20 Baht ...

I get my metered taxi and they get a tip, only app I'll use

Sadly this doesn't seem to be available on Apple. 

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Can't find where she started.

When I need a taxi from airport to Pattaya I use old fashioned prebooking.

1000 incl toll.

No discussion. No hassle. No bad mood.

Usually give a 100 tip.

For me it looks like these app based hailing services are overrated here.

Once had one from Phuket airport and also on the way back.

Spare details but both troublesome experiences.

Internet tells me Bell bus is still running to Pattaya, Airport to the door service.

I'm sure the other bus service is still running. No hassle, no toll fees, way cheaper than taxi.

If people want to take a taxi, they can take the risk too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1