the wai

stoner

16 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Ohhhwwww ,  Mr Nice and  polite and respectful Wai ing everyone can be rather unpleasant and rude and abusive on line .

No... I don't wai 'everyone'... thats your exaggeration as an attempt to point score in this discussion... as was the suggestion that you might need to go to school to learn how to Wai... 

I have responded to your ridiculous response with a ridiculous hyperbolae...  Of course you are not 'incapable' of learning from your surroundings.... in fact there are very few people who are...  Ergo - those who refuse to learn from their surroundings are being deliberately ignorant. 

Thus - if you want an intelligent discussion on the subject, respond with intelligent remarks then you won't get so butt hurt or offended by a response-in-kind to a comment that is less than sensible. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

for most of us here, in los, we shake hands back home. i don't shake everyones hand, it always depends on who they are in relation to me. here, in los, i actually had to take a waiing class as part of the induction at one of the schools i worked at. so, no i do not wai everyone and how high i put my hands together to wai depends on who i am waiing. when i see my elder neighbors i always wai them just like i would shake hands back home. other than that, if someone younger politely wais me first i usually wai back. if i meet my wifes family and they are older i will usually wai first. i dont usually wai people in the service industry rather, as i was taught, i will politely smile back.

it really isnt easy to know when to wai and who to wai. had i not had a class on this i also would prolly be confused like my friends who visit here and wai everyone they see including their shadows. for me a nice wai is like an honest handshake. you can tell a lot from a handshake and from a wai

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I never wai. I never say Khap either.

I believe that these contribute to the total selfishness of this culture.

Never seen people in any country as selfish as the people here.

If it happens, there is a reason.

So I have been looking for what is different from other cultures here. Certainly Buddhism is not the cause of this selfishness.

Then I started pointing a finger at something else that could explain it....

• Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

I never wai. I never say Khap either.

I believe that these contribute to the total selfishness of this culture.

Never seen people in any country as selfish as the people here.

If it happens, there is a reason.

So I have been looking for what is different from other cultures here. Certainly Buddhism is not the cause of this selfishness.

Then I started pointing a finger at something else that could explain it....

I say Khap all the time, but I can't figure out why they don't bring coffee.

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Erm…  I’d be looking in the mirror if all I witnessed in Thailand were selfishness…. 

Thats completely alien to my experience here of over two decades.

To label a whole nation selfish is more suggestive of the flaws of the person making the comment than anything else. 

“I never do this, never do that, refuse to do this & that…. “ etc etc…. 

& you never wondered why your experience is negative? 

There are some rather unintelligent people commenting on this thread… 

Well open your eyes for a change.

Otherwise I would have again to educate people on the culture here, including yourself so it appears

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

Do you shake hands in other countries or refuse to do that too?

Anyway a wai is more sanitary than a handshake.  Even in handshakes some use it to try to show dominance.  Like squeezing extra hard or not giving you a proper grip.

My Thai friends often want hugs too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, rwill said:

Do you shake hands in other countries or refuse to do that too?

Anyway a wai is more sanitary than a handshake.  Even in handshakes some use it to try to show dominance.  Like squeezing extra hard or not giving you a proper grip.

My Thai friends often want hugs too.

what about the one handed embrace with a half bro hug ?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its seems there are two distinct groups in this...

Those who refuse to wai and think a nod suffices, that foreigners are never expected to wai etc... 

& those who are happy to adapt and learn, and make simple efforts to be respectful....

It seems the ignorant and impolite will stretch to numerous reasons as to why they should not wai...  I wonder if these same people complain of immigrants in our home countries not adapting to the mannerisms and polite socail mores or our own countries. 

I do not respect elitism and throw back to class discrimination. It's origin stems from a 1600's absolute monarchy supported by hi-so society class and has no place in a modern democracy where everyone is equal. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I always say please and Thank you when necessary and a bow or a nod of the head when needed 

The Wai is also  used to say sorry  too when the accused has just Murdered someone, or killed them in a road accident, Rape, etc  so for me it has no real meaning, like the Thai guy who rear ended me  at 45 mph while  using his phone,  no insurance, but gave me a Wai,  he was told to pi$$ off 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I treat each instance on its merits.

The wai when I am a customer is automatic, I don't feel obligated to return it.

OTOH, if it is someone at a  professional level, or older than me, I do.

I don't initiate a wai, IMO it is not expected of me.

21 hours ago, stoner said:

i find it strange personally even after 20 years of interaction with thai. the longer i stay here the less i wai.

I'm the opposite. When I first came to live here 20 years ago I knew very little about Thai culture and customs, so it would have been silly for me to wai. Over the decades, I've learnt quite a bit about matters Thai, both the language and the ways that they interact, with the occasional elbow in the ribs from the GF as an added explanation, lol. I know the three levels of wai, but as a non-Buddhist farang I try to limit myself to the basic version. I'm quite comfortable returning a wai in the right circumstances, but I seldom initiate one. I find that, if you have a good idea what you're doing, the locals appreciate the gesture.

21 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I always say please and Thank you when necessary and a bow or a nod of the head when needed 

When I was a school teacher, there was myself and three other westerners, a few Thai's, and a Chinese girl in the same staff room. Every morning the Chinese girl would walk in wai ing everybody at every desk she passed, watching her was like watching a duck waddling past.

• Haha 1

I always wai.

I didn't like shaking hands with my brothers at home in England. I didn't like to hug them either. It just didn't seem necessary. We were a 'close' family. I think it was a 'business thing', their meeting and greeting clients. I had already purposely rejected the idea of working for a business company.

There and wais and wais (as well as wais and wherefores! - hmm, pathetic, I know!). A young lady worked in a mobile phone shop in a Lamphun mall. She was wonderfully pretty and she knew that I was very attracted to her. I don't see any reason why she should have been flattered by this! - but I walked slowly past her shop window one day, hoping to see her, and she presented me with a most beautiful wai, slowly bending her legs in the most exquisite curtsey I've ever seen, shyly averting her eyes and slowly declining her head. She stayed in this most elegant position for several seconds. Perhaps she had learned this at a dance school or at a temple.

I was immensely charmed and flattered by such grace. Two weeks later she had left the shop and moved on. I never saw her again.

• Haha 1