Police to get tough on drunk drivers over New Year

snoop1130

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Torsak Sukvimol says police officers around the country have been instructed to strictly enforce the law when dealing with drivers found to be over the limit.

Different kind of police officers for sure. You have to instruct them to enforce the law!

3 hours ago, London Lowf said:

A few years ago I was pulled over at a road block - I would have been a bit over the limit.

"You drink?"

"Just some beer"

"You drink whisky?"

"No, just beer"

He waved me through.

Exactly the same happened to me in Hua Hin. Stopped after a pool match where I had two beers, no problem, only whiskey is bad.

they need to booze test their own first. My missus held a class reunion at our place on boxing day night. 5 of her former classmates that attended are police officers. They all drove here separately, but god knows how 3 of them managed to do so as they were already smashed to the eyeballs when they arrived (all in uniform because they were still on duty) and between them they consumed another 4 bottles of Sang Som whisky, and then they drove back to their police stations.

If the cops won't obey the law, let alone enforce it, how on earth can the average Thai be expected to obey the law.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Darksidedude said:

so they are lenient at other times are they

Oh yes, you're free to kill whoever you want the rest of the year.

Why don't those eager reporters hanging on to the police chief's every word ask him after the event (when another 700-odd people have died) " How did that crackdown go, then?". I know, that would be losing face.

• Confused 1

7 years, I've never seen a cop in our village, let alone a tough one.

Lots of drunks though.  Plenty of drunk driving.  Never changes. Always a few killed or maimed on motorcycles during festive period.

Safer, if possible, to stay home. 

On 12/29/2023 at 6:33 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Why is there a limit on under 20's blood alcohol..............it is illegal to consume any alcohol under 20 years old here.....

It is like the provisional licence, some countries use if one has only passed the driving test quite recently, some are even required to display plates to warn other drivers to keep clear. Thailand allows them to drive only a little bit drunk, and after gaining a few years experience, they can drive much more intoxicated. 

• Haha 1