Scores of people die in road accidents on fifth of the seven dangerous days

webfact

The think is that you hardly see any police presence on them roads, you can travel hundreds of km without

seeing a police car, plenty of signs warning you of speed limit cameras and police presence, but those only BS signs...

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation

There is a whole department to mitigate the disaster of Thai driving? They must have upgraded from the committee...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

21 is actually a low daily number for TH, as is the average of 42 or 43 a day.   Holidays always seem to have lower number of roadway deaths than the daily average of the year.

2019 average was 54 per day.

2020 ... 49, thanks to covid

2021 ... 46

Actually those numbers sound low, but can't be bothered searching more.

You were faster. Of course these numbers are lower than average over the year. Just creating some important sounding headlines.

Yesterday I drove with the bike over some minor rural roads (4 digit road numbers) with very little traffic like a bigger vehicle every five minutes.

But they have set up the well known "traffic checkpoints" (tent camping). Such a joke!

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Was on the road last week.  Sorry,  the drivers here are insane.  Tailgating at 120 right on bumpers of other vehicles. Car after car.  So uneducated and reckless.  Ignorance and non caring.  Disgusting really I wonder sometimes how much they value life.

I don't think they do , fear glands are removed at birth ! 

Edited by stix40
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

They believe in fate, nothing to do with fear, they just feel "if it's my time, it will happen". Personal safety means nothing to most Thai's, and probably never will. The worst part, is that they have no care at all for other peoples safety, especially if it impedes their travel. 

That kind of mirrors what my wife says, which is they will die anyway. Different culture to ours, and particularly strange in a so-called Buddhist nation where life is meant to be so precious, isn't it? Of course, the entire Thai way of life is in direct conflict with true Buddhism.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That kind of mirrors what my wife says, which is they will die anyway. Different culture to ours, and particularly strange in a so-called Buddhist nation where life is meant to be so precious, isn't it? Of course, the entire Thai way of life is in direct conflict with true Buddhism.

Yup, I have conversation with the wife about these issues a lot. She does agree with me, but knows Thai's won't change, ever. I asked her why road rules and laws that were signed and approved by their King (one so loved by Thai's), are totally ignored? Its like they want to pretend they are Buddhist, but not actually be a Buddhist, and since when did Buddha insinuate one could buy a better life in the future? I can't take Thai Buddhism seriously, it appears to be a perverted view of what Buddha stood for, or ever taught.

• Agree 2

It starts with the poor education at school from a young age. Coupled with ignorance and the sabai sabai and Mai been rai attitude and totally useless driving tests, the situation is unlikely to improve.

• Like 1

Data compiled by DDPM (publishing the 21 deaths) has been used in a major study analysing traffic accidents by the Asian Transportation Research Society. Under Chapter 2.5 the study highlighted some issues relating to thelimitations and accuracy of crash data, such as

● under-reporting

● systematic reporting bias

● random and subjective bias

● reporting errors 

● responding delays

and more.

Project2018-004(Dr.Paramet) (1).pdf

I am not surprised that Kanchanaburi is mentioned regarding bad drivers, I was there recently on my motorbike and the standard of driving there was ridiculous. I was going to say unbelievable, but this is Thailand.

Once you accept 'it is as it is' life becomes so much simpler. In the West life is almost antiseptic, take the ULEZ (ultra low emission zones) in the UK, 20 mph maximum and the myriad of fines that can be given out for the most minor of transgressions and yet there are still 346 road accidents daily, in 2022 there were 1,711 fatalities, and 135,480 casualties of all severity. This is low compared to the 20,000 fatalities per year in Thailand but accidents still happen and no matter how hard the police control traffic they will continue to happen, how severe do you want the controls to be? My opinion is that there is too much in the UK and far too little in Thailand, there should be a happy medium somewhere without being too draconian. You can't wrap people up in cotton wool, life entails risk which should and can be somewhat minimized, the Thais don't quite see it that way, perhaps that is why life here is so much more vibrant than in the UK.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

They believe in fate, nothing to do with fear, they just feel "if it's my time, it will happen". Personal safety means nothing to most Thai's, and probably never will. The worst part, is that they have no care at all for other peoples safety, especially if it impedes their travel. 

Enlightenment on highway 1 

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Once you accept 'it is as it is' life becomes so much simpler. In the West life is almost antiseptic, take the ULEZ (ultra low emission zones) in the UK, 20 mph maximum and the myriad of fines that can be given out for the most minor of transgressions and yet there are still 346 road accidents daily, in 2022 there were 1,711 fatalities, and 135,480 casualties of all severity. This is low compared to the 20,000 fatalities per year in Thailand but accidents still happen and no matter how hard the police control traffic they will continue to happen, how severe do you want the controls to be? My opinion is that there is too much in the UK and far too little in Thailand, there should be a happy medium somewhere without being too draconian. You can't wrap people up in cotton wool, life entails risk which should and can be somewhat minimized, the Thais don't quite see it that way, perhaps that is why life here is so much more vibrant than in the UK.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, smedly said:

speeding and whatever driving laws are broken without enforcement - yes the laws exist - why

It is because the police stations responsible for their areas are not provided with sufficient budget and equipment by the government to effect the enforcement.   

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

The think is that you hardly see any police presence on them roads, you can travel hundreds of km without

seeing a police car

The police need to be provided with enough cars and fuel.  They aren't.  Just imagine the fun they could have tear-arsing around, chasing after delinquent drivers and fining them if they were able to do so.

Edited by Liverpool Lou