Is the new tax on money transferred into Thailand being implemented?

5 minutes ago, Nemises said:

1/ Yes. 
2/ No, of course not! (Can’t believe so many people thought they would)

Actually I never thought tax will be charged, but as I haven't seen any threads about it since the beginning of the year I thought I'll check what happened with it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Nemises said:

1/ Yes. 
2/ No, of course not! (Can’t believe so many people thought they would)

A little too early to spike it in the end zone.  I'm going to wait until tax residents have to file a tax return (or don't have to...)  It'll be months before we really know.

Edit:  Though, had the answer to the OP been "Yes", that would remove some suspense.

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Denim said:

Although I'm not that worried, I bought some extra money in before Jan 1st.

You may have to prove that that money wasn't earned in 2023. While you could have transferred, as I did everything you've earned last year after January 1, as per PAW 162/2566.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Confused 1

I got a retirement visa about ten years ago.

I have never put in a tax return in Thailand.

I have not put in a tax return In Australia for the last 3 years either.

Who is going to ask me to start doing one?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Has anyone here transferred money into Thailand since January 1st? Are taxes really being charged?

I haven't transferred any funds as yet, but given that we are only at the start of the financial year and no real decisions have been released on how it will impact us (if at all) I wouldn't expect anything different to normal.

The assessment of income for 2024 tax will not take place until 2025, therefore it would IMHO be impractical for any deductions to be made prior. For example one of my Thai accounts pays interest monthly and tax wasn't deducted until December.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Although I'm not that worried, I bought some extra money in before Jan 1st.

As a precautionary measure I won't bring in any more for the next 6 months until the dust settles and the situation is clearer. During that time I will use my 400,000 extension lump as the need arises. I can top it up later or just stop doing extensions and revert to visa runs. Basically, kick the can down the road for as long as possible.

Can bring in up to $20k dollars in cash I believe, they can't tax that

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I got a retirement visa about ten years ago.

I have never put in a tax return in Thailand.

I have not put in a tax return In Australia for the last 3 years either.

Who is going to ask me to start doing one?

Potentially, downstream, the Immi Dept, the next time you go to extend your visa or exit the country, they may ask you for a tax clearance certificate, as they don in several countries, including the US.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

During that time I will use my 400,000 extension lump as the need arises. I can top it up later or just stop doing extensions and revert to visa runs. Basically, kick the can down the road for as long as possible.

It was my understanding that they no longer allowed the amount to dip below the 400K (or 800) during the year.  But that was reading in several years ago... 

Any idea what the rule is about tapping your 400K in between extensions?

If living here 180 days or longer during the year and generating untaxed income from abroad then taxes will be owed. No taxes will be owed on pensions, ssi or money that has already been taxed from abroad

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, novacova said:

If living here 180 days or longer during the year and generating untaxed income from abroad then taxes will be owed. No taxes will be owed on pensions, ssi or money that has already been taxed from abroad

Nonsense, completely incorrect! Go read the main thread and stop spreading rubbish!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, sungod said:

Change it to THB and spend it, just a wild guess

What, take it down to the money changer in small amounts from time to time or put it in the bank perhaps? Because whatever you do with it, the banks will record it as a foreign currency transaction and your passport will be required for that so everyone will know, who did what and when.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1