Thailand to abolish hefty import tariff on wine

webfact

Im not going to read through four pages of drivel which reminds me of my drivel which is excruciating to read... god I do go on and the wine, oh it talks.  Oh how it does talk...

They only put import duties on it because big brother China wanted them to.  When you tell your dog to do something they do it.  Bark bark bark.

Oh the wine, oh how it does talk!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/8/2024 at 9:27 AM, bamnutsak said:

Not sure I understand the logic here.

To make up for the lost tax revenue, they're going to have to rely on increased consumption.

Has someone done the math, or is some duopoly going to benefit from this change?

Duopoly a certainty!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

It was mooted

then it was mulled

them it was forgotten, forever

Don't forget the proposal was also lauded  and there was talk of making Thailand a hub of something or other .....then it was pronounced to be a misunderstanding because the brakes had failed.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2024 at 11:20 PM, Jingthing said:

Can someone please post approximately WHEN this will take effect?

Never.

It sounds like what was just a proposal was reported as a decision.

• Agree 1

And to compensate this loss plainly for the restaurant mafia, they will plan to cheat arriving tourists of the new 300 bhat tax ? Soon western media will get hold of the new 300 thb tax rule and despite the petiness of the amount, it will show a certain level of hostility towards tourists and foreigners.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was looking at wine prices in a local supermarket on Monday. I was shocked to see no difference with prices earlier in the year. I predicted earlier that retailers would hold prices where they have beenhisworically and pocket the additional profits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As I recall, the article stated that import duties on wine were to be reduced. It did not say when! This is LOS. Be patient and smile while you wait in hope.

There appears be an assumption by some that wine is mainly for expats and western tourists, but there are many Thais who also enjoy wine. Many the time have Thai friends driven into Laos to purchase French wine cheaper than Thailand and brought a few cases back to enjoy. One Thai General, Sunthorn Kongsompong, even owned a vineyard in France due to his appreciation for the stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Keep hearing this myth 

All talk no action !

Also beer here is piss water 

Singh

Chang

Leo

Me

Tawangdang ? 

All just yellow water 

Pint of fullers please ! 

4 minutes ago, stix40 said:

Keep hearing this myth 

All talk no action !

Also beer here is piss water 

Singh

Chang

Leo

Me

Tawangdang ? 

All just yellow water 

Pint of fullers please ! 

In Bangkok 7-11's at least, if you enjoy IPA type beer there is FullMoon beer...  (from Fullmoon Brew works in Phuket).

Both of the common ones are decent...  at 88 baht for a large 500ml can.

- Summerlay FinFin IPA (6.0% ABV)

- SayPlay (4.0 ABV)

I'm not sure if other 7-11's outside of Bangkok stock them, I only know the 7-11 near me (in Bangkok) does.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 7:20 PM, Jingthing said:

Can someone please post approximately WHEN this will take effect?

The reduction in import is already in place (as of April I believe).

I suspect a number of factors in the reasons this is not being reflected in the pricing. 

- Shops selling off existing stock (purchased under higher taxation).

- Shops profiting - there is no reason to lower their price until competition comes in. 

As new Wine Shops enter the market and attempt to undercut with lower profit margins than the existing sellers, only then will we see the prices start to improve.

That said: WinePro in Bangkok offered a couple of wines on their list at lower prices to reflect the lower tax.

Though, they were 'new offerings' so there was no comparison point with older stock.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

So the are banning blow again  which is a peaceful Thai made  product  ,, and making imported  Wine  ''cheaper''   hmm unlikely  due to greed of distributers and retailers ??.... which will turns us all into violent pissheads ,, yeah thats TIT

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

So the are banning blow again  which is a peaceful Thai made  product  ,, and making imported  Wine  ''cheaper''   hmm unlikely  due to greed of distributers and retailers ??.... which will turns us all into violent pissheads ,, yeah thats TIT

Do you turn in to a violent pi$$head after drinking wine ? (or any drink)... 

It would be better if they scrapped the silly ban on alcohol sales between 14-17. Just ridiculous.

Somewhere I've read that the ban has been removed, but somehow it has not permeated to the retail chains.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 7:00 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Luxury.......We lived in a plastic bag in a septic tank.......:crazy:

On 5/8/2024 at 12:27 PM, RobU said:

You had a house? Seriously I had friends who lived in a row of slum 4 room terraced houses that were located in a Tanyard located inside the main gates, the pedestrian side gate was left open after work finished so they could get in and out. With all the health risks and the stink associated with the dangerous chemicals used

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In Bangkok 7-11's at least, if you enjoy IPA type beer there is FullMoon beer...  (from Fullmoon Brew works in Phuket).

Both of the common ones are decent...  at 88 baht for a large 500ml can.

- Summerlay FinFin IPA (6.0% ABV)

- SayPlay (4.0 ABV)

I'm not sure if other 7-11's outside of Bangkok stock them, I only know the 7-11 near me (in Bangkok) does.

Cheers rich il give it try 👍

On 5/9/2024 at 12:32 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The reduction in import is already in place (as of April I believe).

I suspect a number of factors in the reasons this is not being reflected in the pricing. 

- Shops selling off existing stock (purchased under higher taxation).

- Shops profiting - there is no reason to lower their price until competition comes in. 

As new Wine Shops enter the market and attempt to undercut with lower profit margins than the existing sellers, only then will we see the prices start to improve.

That said: WinePro in Bangkok offered a couple of wines on their list at lower prices to reflect the lower tax.

Though, they were 'new offerings' so there was no comparison point with older stock.

The OP mentioned that the 50% import duty, plus excise taxes were to be eliminated.

Since April 1, however, I have noticed a price increase on wine in local shops.

Is it possible that the import duty reduction was less than 100%?