Thai Government Debates Alcohol Advertising, Sales Hours

webfact

Thai MP proposes revision of strict alcohol control bill
by Top Top

image.jpeg

Move Forward Party (MFP) MP Thaophiphob Limchitrakorn proposed a revision of a stringent Alcohol Control bill concerning alcohol product advertising during a parliamentary meeting on Wednesday, January 10. Three versions of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act were under scrutiny, including two public sector drafts and Thaophiphob’s draft.

The first draft, supported by numerous anti-alcohol groups and labelled as Article 32 on advertising, aimed to intensify current regulations. It proposed an amendment to prohibit the use of logos similar to alcoholic beverage logos on non-alcoholic beverages like soft drinks and water.

Bangkok MFP MP Thaophiphob explained that this would mean that advertising for brands of non-alcoholic beverages with logos resembling alcoholic beverages would be considered a breach of the law. For example, brands like Chang or Singha could not use the same logo for alcohol products on non-alcoholic products to advertise or sponsor events if this bill were to be enacted.

Thaophiphob offered an alternative in his second draft that would permit advertising, albeit within reason. His goal was to address the worries of ordinary individuals, who should be able to post or advertise beer on social media without risking a fine of 50,000 baht or imprisonment. He commented that the current fine for ordinary individuals advertising alcoholic products is higher than the penalty for drink driving.

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

At the very least get rid of the ridiculous 2pm-5pm sales ban.

Agreed, a ridiculous ban.

If you return to work Pished you're out of a job.

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

Importantly, the government has not provided any statistical evidence that banning advertising and strange closing times have lowered alcohol consumption. In fact, they dream up and implement ideas without proving any factual information to the public that such measures actively control anything.

Just like the whole covid/lockdown thing but of course that was and is a global thing.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

I was at 7 eleven last  night a few people waiting  for the time to unlock the fridge door for beer.A bit silly really as it was warm  and they wanted some beer.Those rules should be relaxed and have the age allowed with id to buy it.Then no rule  needed between certain times.

Edited by bristolgeoff
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

In the UK they can show someone who appears to be under 25 in an advert for alcohol.

This should read "In the UK they cannot show someone who appears to be under 25......."

Ah yes the wonderfully modern   Move Forward Party starting to show their true colours  with a truly liberal and progressive stance,   I remember well all the liberal minded members on here extolling their virtues. demanding that their wives vote for them,  and whining on about democracy and the will of the Thai people

I always said we would be better off with Prayut.  This,  the new tax rules and weed  reforms  are starting to prove me right

Not far right, but right so far. again I wish I was Wrong

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 2

Allow 24/7 sales, advertising, and posting on social media. There is zero reason to restrict any of these and it's completely ridiculous that they are restricted. People will always want what they can't have, so restricting it is achieving the opposite effect encouraging people to drink more.

Allow all of these, and ENFORCE drunk driving laws (it's not that hard!). But who am I kidding - it won't happen.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Hokeus said:

Ban it all. Such horrible poison. 

Not so sure about that, I have drunk a fair few pints in my time and I'm still here to tell the tail.