Thai air force to battle surging fine dust pollution crisis

webfact

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I didn't read anything in the article that suggested that the aircraft to be used were in anyway unsafe. The Basler BT-67 is, of course a remodeled and much updated DC 3, (C47 to military types) a model which, in the eyes of many aviation pundits, is regarded as the most successful aircraft in aviation history.

no match to a converted DC-10 tanker

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I didn't read anything in the article that suggested that the aircraft to be used were in anyway unsafe. The Basler BT-67 is, of course a remodeled and much updated DC 3, (C47 to military types) a model which, in the eyes of many aviation pundits, is regarded as the most successful aircraft in aviation history.

Just me reading between the lines.

“The Air Force plans to use the Basler BT-67 despite its long service life. With that said, the safety of pilots remains a top priority.”

ACM Phanpakdee words, why even mention safety.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Captor said:

Very informative video. Maybe someone in the government sees it too. Not that it would help but it keeps the dream alive.

Thanks, I created this via an awesome AI app mainly to put on my own website, a Thailand Blog, but it came out so well I thought it should be for more extensive viewing.

• Love It 2

4 hours ago, sathornlover said:

The supposedly safe threshold in Thailand of PM2.5 is 37.5 micrograms alone is already a declaration of surrender

Right, all the rest of the world are using 25 micrograms as limit.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, sungod said:

Maybe they could carry out drone strikes on the vintage Bangkok buses belching out black smoke.

Maybe flatten the crumbling concrete structures that shed dust every day along with the construction sites that don't do anything to limit dust pollution

Hard to understand that the tourists continues to visit with their childrens and all. Imaging the tourists stop to visit! That would be devastating for Thailand. That would be the last nail in the coffin. Fortunately people have short memory. Same as the journalists and governments. After April no one talk about this anymore until January the year after when the same issue wakes up again. And same talk again for 4 months. And so on. Year after year. The only thing that might help is if the tourists stop visiting. But then it is to late to repair the by then bad reputation. By then tourists finds other destinations to spend their money and wont come back.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

The most effective countermeasure would be to ban the burning right now. Today. Arrest those caught burning and confiscate their land. Anything less is not a serious response.

The burning is banned alread but there is no punishment if refuse to obey the burning ban.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually it will be a call for cloud seeding by Air Force to make rain to clear some of the dust from the air.  Nothing about prevention.

Oddly, cloud seeding is not done under the auspices of the Thai Air Force.

Royal Rainmaking operations was eventually consolidated under the Agricultural Aviation Division and Department of Royal Rainmaking founded in January 2013. Albeit, other government agencies might be called upon for support.

https://www.royalrain.go.th/royalrain/Editor_Page.aspx?Menuld=105

2 minutes ago, Captor said:

The burning is banned alread but there is no punishment if refuse to obey the burning ban.

Which is why you confiscate the land where the burning is taking place. Also look into big agribusiness cartels which are behind this, paying "small farmers" a subsidy for growing sugar cane. Things were a million times better when they just grew rice.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Captor said:

Hard to understand that the tourists continues to visit with their childrens and all.

Who tells them about it?

How many of the repeat tourists even know?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

growing sugar cane. Things were a million times better when they just grew rice.

How many of us use Gasohol🤔 Where do we think the alcohol comes from?

• Thanks 1

Flying back to Lampang yesterday from Bangkok  

if you see the rice field fires burning on the way up there is a wonder happening that there is any breathing air at all ,

fires everywhere  let the government start with this no burning policy first that would do SOME good then 

start looking how to improve this old bus situation and these so called wizz cars with the diesel system open to far causing darkness when they go by from fumes because not adjusted right 

but Thailand is Thailand  don't give people good ideas it causes aggravation  aggression 

no need to quit Smoking  u don't need cigarettes its free ,

2 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

If the Thai airforce using the NASA fires website to identify a fire, and then goes and drops huge amounts of water on it - great!!  But anything else is a load of PR BS. 

We used to live in Chiang Mai and loved it - we left after 3 years because the smoke was unbearable on some days during the 'smoke season'. It got worse every year and lots of promises and PR BS announcements amounted to nothiong - so we left.  Is the Governor of Chiang Mai listening (:biggrin:) that is 1 million baht a year NOT being spent in your Province anymore.  Nowhere has great year all round in Thailand - not even Phuket (90 now on IQair) - but Chiang Mai/Rai is a disaster.   

If the Thai Airforce water bombs the forest and farm fires - that would be very useful - as long as they do it all the time - day after day. Sure it will screw up a few farms - but screw them. And the mushroom hunters starting the forest fires can go fu...........  

Where did you move in Thailand? I am looking about that right now myself and trying to identify a location with less pollution other than Phuket.

Maybe they could enforce the do not burn off your fields law, strange how this pollutions happens every year at the same time just after wet season and just after rice and sugar cane harvesting???

Drive through the back areas of Wang Noi and you will see why Bangkok can't breath!!!

Craigh

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, huangnon said:

Yep, they've been doing it here for decades. In the West this (and other 'weather modification') is dismissed as a "conspiracy theory". :whistling:

It's a conspiracy theory to suggest that in the West cloud seeding is dismissed as a conspiracy theory. I was taught about in in geography class at school 50 years ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

We used to live in Chiang Mai and loved it - we left after 3 years because the smoke was unbearable on some days during the 'smoke season'. It got worse every year and lots of promises and PR BS announcements amounted to nothiong - so we left. 

Exactly my experience living in Chiang Mai as well. Thankfully i also left after a couple of years due to the terrible air quality. What baffles me is the number of foreigners living there who claim it's not that bad.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captor said:

Once again  - certain people being paid for NOT doing their jobs!!!

Why should the authorities do anything about the pollution if they are receiving tons of money from the polluters?  The common peasants don’t pay them anything, but the rich families and companies give them so much to look the other way while they pollute.  This allows them to buy nice things like houses and watches.  Oh, and nice cars too.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Captor said:

Where did you move in Thailand? I am looking about that right now myself and trying to identify a location with less pollution other than Phuket.

Mate - there is no place in Thailand without air pollution sometimes.  We are currently in Rayong in a small village - OK air but we are thinking of moving. We like the big city stuff and miss it - long drive to Pattaya and I dont like that place either.  Hate Bangkok, dont like Hua Hin, Phuket sucks, CM bad, Samui expensive/small - basically we dont like any of the tourist spots to live. Depending on how this income tax thing goes (if bad we will try Philippines - great air and much cleaner - but not Manilla), but if the tax thing is all good, then we will probably try an East Isaan city - the further west you go in Isaan towards CM, the worse the smoke season.  But there is nowhere without bad air sometimes. Phuket is the probably the best overall in that regards, but it is a seriously screwed up and corrupt small island that gets 6-10 million tourists a year - great to visit a resort on the west coast - not a good place to live (for us). 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Exactly my experience living in Chiang Mai as well. Thankfully i also left after a couple of years due to the terrible air quality. What baffles me is the number of foreigners living there who claim it's not that bad.

There are pockets of locations where it is OK sometimes, and others that are always bad. If you stay indoors in a/c until late mornings it is definitely better - the local fires all seem to be lit at night. But when the fires in Myanmar and Laos get bad, the place can be a 'smoke hole' for days on end.