Thai food vendor sparks debate after giving free food to foreign backpacker

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Astonishing that any debate could be sparked over this... 

Other than...  what people are putting on the internet (TikTok) for attention these days is simply astonishing... 

... Its more astonishing that it draws comment....  and there I go, adding to the ridiculous BS with my own comment...

oh no, I am now a netizen !!!... 

It challenges the poor me thai mentality where foreigners are expected to pay for everything and be much wealthier. It's going to be a serious breach of etiquette for a lot of thai's.

How long have you lived here? Your comments seem naive like you don't understand Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

They should all go back home and all the foreigners in the UK should all go back home as well, everyone should go back to where they came from

Not the ones not breaking the law, I would include all the Agent users paying bribes as first on the list, followed by most of the annoying vloggers, soi dog feeders, cargo shot wearers and sex tourists of course 😝

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, ravip said:

No such thing as a free lunch on this planet.

For the confused and sad this is a fact. How many free meals do you distribute per day?  Or at least per year,  without expecting anything back?  Even a thank you? 

:tongue:

Ok, ok, but I still don't get what poor foreigners are doing here, shouldn't they be back home and make a living. Right now there plenty of positions to be filled. Yeah but work is degrading... say the losers...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, sateuk said:

If she was in surrathani obviously on her way to KO samui, or leaving KO samui and going Bangkok to go home if no money, no where does it say the back packer has no cash, she asks if she can eat it, no mention of cash anywhere 

The buses from Bangkok to Surattani or notorious for thefts from the luggage and she may have been robbed 

• Like 1

That’s right.  No foreigner should be helped.  And the foreigners should be charged the normal “foreigner “ price for food.  According to the Thai Style mentality.  Well not all but a good number. 
But to be fair.  People should not be traveling  or living in other countries if they don’t have sufficient funds to take care of themselves. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The buses from Bangkok to Surattani or notorious for thefts from the luggage and she may have been robbed 

Or she may have robbed someone, pure speculation we will never know.

Edited by proton
  • Confused 1

That's going back to the old days.

I can remember walking into bars with nothing in my pocket. The next day I paid (with a good tip) and everyone was happy.

Admittedly I was a regular and I had genuinely forgotten my wallet but nothing was said.

Thank you 🙏 to the Thai lady 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, FarangJon said:

Anyone got her phone number? She can sleep naked in my second bedroom in my house at Samui for free. No problem.

Nah, dude. She probably smells like a combination of sweat, weed and feminism. Too much to handle for sure.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Modern Coding said:

Don't see either.

Thais are used to give offerings to the gods.

Maybe they thought she would be a goddess and were giving offerings to her, who knows...

Don't see any problem either. I'd happily give food & water. I just refuse to hand over cash. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guess quitting her job, if she even had one and travel the world as a digital nomad, influencer or blogger didn’t quite work out for her.

But then there’s always the Bank of Mommy and Daddy.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, still kicking said:

I do not live in Thailand at the moment, but I did I do send money to Thailand sometimes to help out some people and no not to a girl. I must add I am a pensioner.

An exception to the rule. This happens.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Nothing like that was mentioned. If it did happen, definitely it would have been published.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

36 minutes ago, ravip said:

Nothing like that was mentioned. If it did happen, definitely it would have been published.

Not at all, the Thai media hardly ever published the full story and very often writes things that aren't factual .

No one asked her why she didn't have any money and so no one knows why

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/31/2024 at 3:29 PM, Nick Carter icp said:

Foreigners don't "lose face". we have a bit more substance to us than that 

But lose money and beg for food and money. All with a straight face?

What a loser

• Confused 2

On 1/31/2024 at 10:43 PM, Ben Zioner said:

Ok, ok, but I still don't get what poor foreigners are doing here, shouldn't they be back home and make a living. Right now there plenty of positions to be filled. Yeah but work is degrading... say the losers...

Yes... that's what you say... loser

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1