Expat Clubs -Why don't you go?

20 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

It's down to sheer, ignorant predjudice

You're gamely fighting a fight I already won against myself.

What are people's (who've been or never been) perceptions of these clubs?

Is it OK to have a broad opinion of something without extensive, first hand knowledge?

If I went to the buffet would that sole appearance fully legitimize my thoughts, or would I need to do a tour, including Roi Et?

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Confused 3

I think the buffet is 200 baht. But BritmanToo goes to a German buffet for that amount. So is that really a discount?

Partic if it's a watermelon/overripe pineapple/hard cantaloupe fruit selection as per a usual discount hotel buffet?

Most people don't need the club. They are at foreigner bars, eateries and such every day where there are other expats around.

I had a neighbor who ate at the same foreigner type restaurant practically every day where the food was overpriced, Ok, but not great.

It was more about hanging out with similar people then the food or drink. At first it seemed dumb to me that he was always there with so many local thai eateries nearby (which I always ate at) until I caught on to what was really going on.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

I have steadfastly dodged popping in to the expat society (or whatever it is) in Chiang Mai for 18 straight months. Even with the tantalizing offer of a discount buffet.

It's down to sheer, ignorant predjudice on my part that they're going to be stiffs and do-nothings -based on nothing.

Do you share my view? Based on what?

Have you ever attended such a meeting? How wrong am I?

No, you are not wrong at all. In fact the opposite, as you are as right as one can be. You are a member on this forum, and then already have experience. You know it´s not prejudice or ignorance. Everyday we get first hand experience by reading about how much most members see all as wrong in Thailand, and how much problems they have understanding and accepting the people of the country where they chose to relocate.

I totally share your view, and I have not moved to another country to engage in communities of people that I moved away from. There are plenty of good Thai´s that have much to offer and are able to have great conversations as well as a lot of fun. What is the fun in meeting all the grumpy and sad as well as lost people you read from everyday?

Yes, I have attended. Actually gave it 2 chances as I though I might have been wrong. I wasn´t! So, now it will never happen again. It´s enough to 1 time a year stand the New Year dinner buffet, that usually is full of clueless foreigners in a country they say they love but don´t understand.

18 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Good to see someone with such a positive outlook and open mind and not pre-judging people and places. :whistling:

Are you not kind of in one right here ?

It´s not pre-judging. We get the unhealthy dose of foreign intelligence and believes every single day on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm a lifetime member of the Chiang Mai Expat Club.

I used to go to the twice monthly breakfasts (when they were at the River Market) to socialize with others who I knew would be there.  

I stopped going for two reasons:  (1) the people with whom I enjoyed socializing are no longer here; and (2) the breakfast time conflicts with the time I now frequent the gym.  

• Thumbs Up 2

I think this forum often show how to do and how not to do it.

Ask a reasonable question and you will get answers. Some good, some not so good, but mostly there is good advice in there.

And then there are the new posts like: Let me show you how to do this or that. Or Mr X in Thailand or something like that. Mostly useless. 

When I first moved to Thailand 20 years ago I used to run into both expats and Thais who figured I had money to invest.

My standard line was: What you say may be a good deal for me.  But the only thing  certain is that it would be a better deal for you.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

34 minutes ago, retarius said:

I agree with the OP. Pretty much every expat I've met was either an astronaut, starred in a movie with Tom Cruise, was a star footballer with Millwall, was a successful entrepreneur and business man controlling the lives of thousands of employees, was almost was recruited into the Beatles or the Rolling Stones in 1960, or won a solo around the world rowing race in 1967, or was in some other way totally wonderful before he came here where he turned into a drunken fat slob. 

Met an old American in Korat, drunk or extremely tired and emotional.  Said he were an ex-mercenary started off in Rhodesia ending up a door gunner on the shuttle Atlantis during the 'Moon Wars'. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Prubangboy said:

In Chiang Mai, they have something even stupider, called The Algonquin Club. Surely, only Gammaglobule alone here will know that the Algonquin club was a fabled round table of wits, from which the phrase, "Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses" emerged. 

You have to be invited to join. I got an invite. I looked at their website. They had a lecture from a guy calling himself "the bad boy of finance", so basically blowhard-central. The person who recco'd me (my estate agent) said it was about a thou a year to be part of the magic.  You can google it yourself to laugh at it. 

https://algonqu.in/

Seems like my sort of company, wonder if they have topless waitresses?😆😆

Edited by roo860
  • Haha 1