How often do you eat Thai Food?

1 minute ago, uttradit said:

Khao Soi

20240123_122532.jpg

yeah, if you want interesting-looking noodles and the sides beautifully prepped and nicely presented, it costs more.

I had a 100 baht durian soft serve ice cream cone. It costs more than the regular kind of ice cream. And it's full of air.

1 minute ago, Prubangboy said:

yeah, if you want interesting-looking noodles and the sides beautifully prepped and nicely presented, it costs more.

I had a 100 baht durian soft serve ice cream cone. It costs more than the regular kind of ice cream. And it's full of air.

Air is the flavour. That's why they made chocolate in bubbles.

• Haha 1

We eat Thai food every day. 

Mrs G doesn't deal well with Western food.

When we are in the US I'll eat lunch at the airport restaurant then we eat Thai dinner at home.

Right now we're in Thailand so it's Thai food breakfast, lunch and dinner

• Thumbs Up 1

That's why I like Nimman. The competition is brutal. A lot of the $5 green tea places are going to be donut shops in six months. We're apparently still a ways off from durian ice cream saturation.  

A place like Sushi Umai or Ging Grai that can turn over a table six-ten times in a day is a winner among noble triers. Either you get hot on Jap/Chinese instagram here, or you're gone.

Bon Jovi was asked how to get signed by a record label. He said, get a 100 legit paid admissions on a Saturday night (no guest list). The record companies (even today) are out looking with bloodhounds for the tiny number of acts who can hit that target.

And so are Nimman residents who moved here for the restaurants, not for girls and not for temples. We go out to at least one new restaurant a week. And we keep falling further behind.

Thai food Refuseniks:

Can you chart your exit from Thai food? Did you eat it at home? Was it a slow fall off or all at once?

At least once a day, sometimes twice. We eat out frequently, we order from Food Panda frequently and my woman is a great cook. Thai food is likely the only food in the world that I can eat daily without getting sick of.

Great Thai food is astonishing. But only here, overseas I rarely get great Thai food. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Denim said:

About four or five times a week . We seldom eat out as can't be bothered to get dressed. 

I do most of the cooking these days as my wife gets worn out looking after her disabled mother.

I cook whatever is in the fridge etc. Hate throwing food away so if I see a bit of broccoli and a carrot etc unused I will cook something  to save them for the bin.

Finely dice the carrot and broccoli and put them in a pad grapow moo or boil them and serve with a pork steak , mash and 2 veg.

Tomorrow I'm  cooking geng masaman or maybe just a couple of chicken wraps.

Can people look into your house from outside? 

• Haha 1

Pretty much daily. My Thai wife does most of the cooking, or orders in what she thinks I SHOULD eat. Once in awhile I am allowed pizza or a burger.😉

Spaghetti from 7-11 is allowed, too.

It depends.

I guess on average two or three times a week.

I do think tourists are cheating themselves if they don't mostly eat Thai food unless they hate it but expats should just eat whatever pleases them just as they would in their home country.

Had some very nice Thai food yesterday. Hor Mok Talay, fried garlic chicken wings, pak boong fai deng, and of course rice.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

-And where do you have it, and what do you eat?

Me:

-About twice a week

-Ging Grai Restaurant in Chiang Mai, Nimman Khao Soi, food court of Nimman1 mall.

-Pad Thai at Ging Grai îs a must order. With an Issan style petrified crab som tum.

Never wowed by Penang Curry, but I keep ordering it. I think I like Red Curry the best, but I never order it.

Pork leg stew (called Burmese Pork Leg Stew in Chiang Mai) is my food court go-to. Or Duck Noodles.

Twice a month, the rest i can't be bothered to say

Almost never, except when dining with a friend or relative, and chicken fried rice in that case.  Subway once or twice a week (I can say “everything except cucumber” in Thai!). As an extra special treat once every couple of months, dinner at Pizza Company (pan fried super deluxe). Otherwise, everything made at home.

Not my business what y'all eat, but I am mystified how some of you can manage to not eat Thai food ever.

Is this true for all Asian foods?  Other SE Asian cuisines or Chinese/Korean/Japanese food?  Hong Kong style?

I couldn't survive without a good mix of Asian & Western cuisines.

43 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

Not my business what y'all eat, but I am mystified how some of you can manage to not eat Thai food ever.

Is this true for all Asian foods?  Other SE Asian cuisines or Chinese/Korean/Japanese food?  Hong Kong style?

Good point.

I eat Chinese food here more often than Thai.

Agree about Asian food. Must have it. A big downside of living on Latin America. 

2 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Can people look into your house from outside? 

No ?? Why ??

Oh..., I'm not a naked chef if that's what you mean. Just boxers all day.  Wife ...shorts and t shirt.

Edited by Denim

1 hour ago, Iron Tongue said:

I like (Australian) Chinese food, but I just rarely eat out at restaurants, even when I’m travelling, unless I can’t find an open supermarket. Not really interested in food generally, prefer to save money for other things, and food I make myself is healthier. Subway in Thailand’s an exception, because it’s healthy enough by my standards, and cheap, half the Australian or European price.

20 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

-And where do you have it, and what do you eat?

Me:

-About twice a week

-Ging Grai Restaurant in Chiang Mai, Nimman Khao Soi, food court of Nimman1 mall.

-Pad Thai at Ging Grai îs a must order. With an Issan style petrified crab som tum.

Never wowed by Penang Curry, but I keep ordering it. I think I like Red Curry the best, but I never order it.

Pork leg stew (called Burmese Pork Leg Stew in Chiang Mai) is my food court go-to. Or Duck Noodles.

Killing and eating animals is disgusting.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Killing and eating animals is disgusting.

Again ... noticed you missed a couple other food thread...

Thai ribs ... or not

... don't ya just want to bite into and tear the flesh of the bones.  Finger lickin' good

19 hours ago, kickstart said:

For us every day ,the wife is a good cook, a lot of fish dishes, living in the sticks a bit limited on farang food.

But we often have Chile con carne with baked spuds, makes  a change, and I do like my own bread and home make marmalade for breakfast, a bit of both worlds.

Never, I'll just stick to shepherds pies, fishermans pies and chicken pies all home made without veg, I do not eat vedge or fruit apart from the juice.

2 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Love Chinese food in the UK.

Don't like Chinese food in China or Thailand.

Love Indian food in UK, Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Love Chinese food in the UK.

Don't like Chinese food in China or Thailand.

Love Indian food in UK, Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand.

Both Chinese and Indian food have a rather unique way of adapting to local tastes across the globe.

The names of the dish can be the same, but country to country they can be totally different

8 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Both Chinese and Indian food have a rather unique way of adapting to local tastes across the globe.

The names of the dish can be the same, but country to country they can be totally different

I guess it depends.

American Chinese food originated from regional Chinese food from one area and then Americanized. (Sweeter, more dishes with many main ingredients instead of one or two, more gloppy sauces.)

So a lot had to do with Chinese immigration patterns.

It's my impression that Indian food in the U.S. is pretty darned authentic. Well that's what actual Indians there have told me. One particular place that I used to go (the best Indian lunch buffet I've ever had, dishes change daily) was so good that Indians told me they dreamed about even when they were back in India.

Edited by Jingthing